Prince Harry and Meghan Markle thread

There are conflicting reports about how well the Clooneys knew the couple.

Well, as we’ve learned, with H&M nothing is simple.

George and Amal Clooney confessed they didn't know the Duke and Duchess of Sussex moments before the royal wedding, it is claimed.

Hollywood actor George, 59, and human rights barrister Amal, 42, were among the 600 guests who witnessed Prince Harry, 36, and Meghan Markle, 39, exchange vows at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, in May 2018.

In a sign of their apparent closeness to the couple, the Clooneys were given a 'prime pew' next to Lady Carolyn Warren, who is married to John Warren, the Queen's bloodstock adviser, and opposite Princess Margaret's son Viscount Linley.

However the Clooneys reportedly told other guests they didn't know the happy couple well at all, according to Rachel Johnson.

Hollywood actor George, 59, and human rights barrister Amal, 42, were among the 600 guests invited to witness Prince Harry and Meghan Markle exchange vows at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, in May 2018. The couple were given a 'prime pew' opposite the family's Chapel, Windsor Castle, in May 2018. The couple were given a 'prime pew' opposite the family

Hollywood actor George, 59, and human rights barrister Amal, 42, were among the 600 guests invited to witness Prince Harry and Meghan Markle exchange vows at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, in May 2018. The couple were given a 'prime pew' opposite the family

The Clooneys reportedly told other guests they didn't know the happy couple well at all, according to Rachel Johnson. Pictured, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at their wedding't know the happy couple well at all, according to Rachel Johnson. Pictured, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at their wedding

The Clooneys reportedly told other guests they didn't know the happy couple well at all, according to Rachel Johnson. Pictured, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle at their wedding

'There’s a story doing the rounds that while Carolyn Bartholomew, Diana’s former flatmate, was waiting for the wedding service to start, she turned to the couple alongside her and asked how they knew Harry or Meghan,' Johnson writes in online publication AirMail. '"We don’t," the Clooneys answered brightly.'

Carolyn, who attended the wedding with husband William, is Harry’s godmother and was one of three young women who shared Diana’s Earl’s Court flat and was privy to the secret when she first met Charles.

She was given one of the best seats in the house, opposite Prince William and Prince Charles.

Johnson added there were plenty of other celebrity invitees, including Oprah Winfrey, James Corden, and David and Victoria Beckham who 'could not possibly be old and dear friends of the bridal couple'.

Oprah Winfrey, Serena Williams and her husband Alexis Ohanian were seated near the Clooneys while the Beckhams, James Corden and his wife were further away.

The Clooneys reportedly made the comment to Prince Harry's godmother Carolyn Bartholomew, who attended the wedding with husband William (pictured in 2004)'s godmother Carolyn Bartholomew, who attended the wedding with husband William (pictured in 2004)

The Clooneys reportedly made the comment to Prince Harry's godmother Carolyn Bartholomew, who attended the wedding with husband William (pictured in 2004)

George and Amal caused a stir when they arrived at the royal wedding and were among the exclusive 200-strong guest list invited to party the night away at Frogmore House. George is said to have danced with both Meghan and Kate Middleton, 39.

Finding Freedom, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's biography, claims the Clooneys hosted the Duke and Duchess of Sussex on at least two occasions at their British home in Sonning, in Oxfordshire.

The book adds that Harry and Meghan brought their dogs with them, and that George and Amal loved to take friends out by the lake.

Carolyn was one of three young women who shared Diana’s Earl’s Court flat and was privy to the secret when she first met Charles. Pictured, Diana and Carolyn at a friend's 1991 wedding's 1991 wedding

Carolyn was one of three young women who shared Diana’s Earl’s Court flat and was privy to the secret when she first met Charles. Pictured, Diana and Carolyn at a friend's 1991 wedding

'There, they had a secluded decked area and inside was a lounge decorated with traditional club wood paneling, heavy drapes, dark velvets, plush chairs, and a bar.'

The biography also claims the Clooneys invited the royals to join them at Lake Como just weeks after the royal wedding, flying out on George's private jet.

During the three-day visit, a source said, 'Meghan and Amal spent a lot of time relaxing by the pool and playing with the twins while George and Harry checked out George's motorbike collection. Harry took one of them out with one of his protection officers. George recently had an accident, so he wasn't back on his bike yet.''

'The duke and duchess weren't the only guests that weekend. Eugenie and her fiance, Jack Brooksbank, were already at the villa when Harry and Meghan arrived, their visits overlapping briefly.'

Amal also hired a private jet to fly Meghan home from her New York baby shower in February 2019.
I think any family - never mind royal - having a huge wedding would find it odd that the bride has No relatives invited except for her mom. This must have raised questions in the queen's mind. Who is this woman? Has she erased her past?

I think any family - never mind royal - having a huge wedding would find it odd that the bride has No relatives invited except for her mom. This must have raised questions in the queen's mind. Who is this woman? Has she erased her past?

I bet it did, but there was nothing to be done about it. Harry wanted to marry her and that was that.

Of 600 or so guests, only 1 family member. Yes, that would give me pause.
As many TpF’ers suggested early on, it‘s odd, it’s weird and it indicates there is an issue, perhaps a full-on problem. Maybe now that George has commented on the relationship, others will ‘fess up. The door has been opened. :graucho:

Of 600 or so guests, only 1 family member. Yes, that would give me pause.
As many TpF’ers suggested early on, it‘s odd, it’s weird and it indicates there is an issue, perhaps a full-on problem. Maybe now that George has commented on the relationship, others will ‘fess up. The door has been opened. :graucho:
We can now wait for some sort of PR announcement of some wonderful cause/charity they will zoom bomb to whitewash this revelation.

The crockery is most likely being thrown at 16 Bathrooms, Montecito, CA, USA. :graucho:

Well, as we’ve learned, with H&M nothing is simple.

I think it's pretty clear that they invited the Clooneys and Oprah in order to kick start relationships with people that they identified as Hollywood power players. So, obviously, Megexit was being planned well before the wedding and well before any conflict arose with the Palace or any negative stories started appearing in the tabloid press. MM probably figured out pretty quickly that she didn't like the duties or being told what to do and when to do it and how to dress and when to curtsy. ETA: Harry obviously wanted out too, for this to have been planned so far in advance. Looking back, I think they intended to leave from the start and then used the negative stories in the press and anything their perceived as a slight in their dealings with the Palace or the family to justify it.

Last edited:
For all the massive media hype they have been getting, there have been very few other famous people who want to be linked with them or even appear with them. I won't count Gloria Steinem since that was clearly mutually beneficial.
They also share the same PR company (Sunshine Sachs), so I wouldn't doubt that SS put it together!

It is all an agenda! Because nothing Meghan had done could possibly be justifiably criticized. Meghan is a victim again! :rolleyes:

A source close to the Duchess says the constant attacks have been difficult. "She thought she was saying something relatively uncontroversial, which is people should get involved and vote. Then, it gets spun into a whole other thing. There are people, especially in the tabloids, that will use whatever they can to go after this couple. There is no doubt there is an agenda."

"The Duke and Duchess believe in civic action, civic duty, social responsibility, and an element of that is participating in the ********ic process, so all they have said is that they encourage people to get involved," the source continued. "What they’re trying to do with the foundation is link a lot of the issues they believe in and find the connective tissue in all of it and actually find potential solutions."

"It is worrying and frustrating things get distorted so easily and readily on a regular basis. She [Meghan] now feels, [and] admits, as she said the other day, she has to be constantly careful about what she says and stick to what she thinks will not be controversial. Even telling people to get involved in the ********ic process should not be a controversial subject."

It is all an agenda! Because nothing Meghan had done could possibly be justifiably criticized. Meghan is a victim again! :rolleyes:

A source close to the Duchess says the constant attacks have been difficult. "She thought she was saying something relatively uncontroversial, which is people should get involved and vote. Then, it gets spun into a whole other thing. There are people, especially in the tabloids, that will use whatever they can to go after this couple. There is no doubt there is an agenda."

"The Duke and Duchess believe in civic action, civic duty, social responsibility, and an element of that is participating in the ********ic process, so all they have said is that they encourage people to get involved," the source continued. "What they’re trying to do with the foundation is link a lot of the issues they believe in and find the connective tissue in all of it and actually find potential solutions."

"It is worrying and frustrating things get distorted so easily and readily on a regular basis. She [Meghan] now feels, [and] admits, as she said the other day, she has to be constantly careful about what she says and stick to what she thinks will not be controversial. Even telling people to get involved in the ********ic process should not be a controversial subject."

This REALLY PISSES me off .. who asked THEM for help????? Seriously? .. can they improve my life or others? I think we all know the answer to that, sure H&M .. put your MONEY where your mouths are .. and that will NEVER happen! If Meghan feels that she has to be "so careful" in the wording that she uses, I have a suggestion .. "STFU .. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY"!!!

This REALLY PISSES me off .. who asked THEM for help????? Seriously? .. can they improve my life or others? I think we all know the answer to that, sure H&M .. put your MONEY where your mouths are .. and that will NEVER happen! If Meghan feels that she has to be "so careful" in the wording that she uses, I have a suggestion .. "STFU .. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY"!!!

She's feigning hurt because she got a little backlash. She wanted to be universally lauded for saying "everyone should vote" even though that message has already been repeated ad nauseam via all media sources, by people more important than her, all year.

Believe it or not, Meghan, I don't think even your fans were oblivious to the fact that there is an election this year.

Ugh...my criticism was never about Meghan Markle saying people should vote. It was the Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry saying people should vote (and in a clearly partisan manner). Why should representatives of another country who walked away from their duty tell us to do ours?
Dig the hole deeper..... they just make themselves sound worse...