adding strap to speedy

I was thinking of buying a strap for the 30 Speedy mono ONLY when I need to. I use it on occasion and never put a lot in it. Which strap would you all get? I will be purchasing a Speedy 25 DEB early next year.

I got my Speedy in 2010 - Speedy B didnt even exist back then ;) so I got a strap, put it on the hardware and left it on there ever since. Honestly, I love it and i don't mind the way it looks. Of course Speedy B is a great option, but it wasnt for me and I am totally fine "my" way.

Personally, I dont think it looks of and since then no damage happened. Speedy B looks simply a little different, and I am going to get a Speedy B when I am getting a Mono 35! But my Azur 25 is perfect the way it is.

Let me show you two pics:

I agree. I have a Speedy 25 in DA and I am comfortable to put a strap on the handles because it is a small bag. I have a 30B in DE and I'm waiting for a Mono 30B to arrive. I sent my Mono 35 back because it was too big for me. I would not add a strap to Speedy 35 though. It's just too big. Especially if you put lots of stuff in it. It would put too much stress on the handles. Client services advised me against putting a strap on 35 because it won't take the strain. They also said they wouldn't cover repair costs if the handles come off and they could see it was due to a strap.

I've pondered this before since I have a regular Speedy 25. Since I tend to put a lot of stuff in my bag, I'm worried that the weight will put too much stress on the sides of the bag if I use a strap. I would advise against using a normal strap on a Speedy 35 since it's much larger.

Buying a strap is definitely not an option since it will ruin the bag. I think you should sell the regular bag and your mom can give you the difference to purchase the speedy B. if you have barely used it, it still should be like new and you can get a great price for it. Tell your mother that the wonderful LV fanatics at TPF recommend against it and speak from experience. I am sure she will go for it and both of you can be happy with this solution. Good luck

Buying a strap is definitely not an option since it will ruin the bag. I think you should sell the regular bag and your mom can give you the difference to purchase the speedy B. if you have barely used it, it still should be like new and you can get a great price for it. Tell your mother that the wonderful LV fanatics at TPF recommend against it and speak from experience. I am sure she will go for it and both of you can be happy with this solution. Good luck

i agree!

Reactions: mommyboy
I don't recommend a strap for the 35. I tried it with mine while on vacation and hated it. It was so uncomfortable. One because of the amount stuff I had in it and it would dig into my shoulder and second because of the way it was hooked it looked like it would damage the bag. I think it looks and feels better hand carried or in the crux of your arm.

so i love my mono speedy 35, but i don't always use it because i don't always want a hand-held bag. i've been on the lookout on ann's/yoogis for a strap to add...when i realized i can just buy one from lv!

does anyone have pictures of doing this? or recommendations on what strap to buy? do you just connect it to the metal parts by the handles? and...do they sell the straps in store? or just online?

tia!!!

ETA: i just realized there are a bunch of old threads about this cautioning against doing this - it can change the shape of the bag over time. my bag is very, very loved - the shape is already compromised! in good way! i'm just curious if it'll look ridiculous.

Really, he didn't want to sell it to you? I asked several SAs today about the same thing for my vintage Speedy 40 and they all said it wouldn't be a problem. A Speedy is constructed to hold up to 100 kg :smile:

I think it would look great, especially since you are not concerned about the shape changing. Go for it!
I think the mono strap would look really nice since patina would not match. Let us know what you get!

Reactions: MoyJoy
I did this for many years. you attach to handle, but do it across. LV bags are made so well that it doesn't hurt the bag.
It will work ok with the average strap. I think that the hardware on the luggage strap is too thick. I have used the vachetta version for my Speedy MC and I still use the Damier strap for my Speedy 30 in DE. I also own a vintage strap that is all mono and more of a shoulder strap--not cross-body.

One caveat: it scratches the finish on the hardware. But I didn't let that bother me. Of course, when I did this, the cost of the bag was only 620 USD and the strap was roughly 200 USD. The other versions hadn't been "born yet."
Hi. I know this thread is old af but I just bought a preloved mc speedy. I want to put a strap on it but I'm afraid it's going to tear the canvas. How did your mc speedy bag hold up with the strap?

Disclaimer: I don’t intend to use the strap all the time, only when I need to free up my hands temporarily.

I wanted a vintage speedy as a everyday work bag because I don’t want to have to baby it too much (I still take good care of it but not to a Chanel level, which stresses me out.) I bought this one for $400 and quickly realized that although for the most part the top handles are fine, it’s not convenient when I shop/carry grocery and open the door at the same time, so I decided to add a detachable strap from another bag just for when I need it.

I know people advise against doing that, saying it’ll damage the canvas. I can see that if the hooks are attached to the outter part of the handle hardware, the tabs of the handles get bended/twisted in a weird way, which may contribute to tears, but when I attach the strap to the inner part, it isn’t that bad. Yea, it’s not as natural as a speedy b but I like the way it looks this way because I can see the strap more. (I like the color combination) and it looks less like a gym bag?

If someone commutes every day using public transportation and walks a decent distance with their bag over their shoulder, this setup is probably not ideal, but for someone who drives and walks around little, it’s nice to have the option to wear it on your shoulder IMHO.

A323B53C-FB81-47FB-8934-E437ADFCA599.jpeg

AA1C10DE-797A-4C15-9838-437A0851A83B.jpeg

FD806E31-E186-4E29-8626-578C85E4D0F0.jpeg

I liked it. It’s always nice to have the crossbody option. I uses more of my vintage bag that I bought cheaply than my full price bag.
I’ve only discovered the wonderland of vintage bags recently. I wish I had known earlier! I used to think second bags had plenty of defects. I‘ve spent too much money on contemporary bags that only last a couple of seasons. With the same money I can buy quality, iconic bags that have stood the test time.