Home & Garden Designer and Other Furniture

I am buying a new coffee table and have no idea which to choose. I'd love to discuss pros and cons with anyone here who already has either of the two I'm choosing between. I need to place the order quite soon. Mods and admins, act swiftly!
Please :smile:

What about starting a Thread in the General Discussion Forum for now? That way you can start discussing Pros and Cons immediately.

I am buying a new coffee table and have no idea which to choose. I'd love to discuss pros and cons with anyone here who already has either of the two I'm choosing between. I need to place the order quite soon. Mods and admins, act swiftly!
Please :smile:

Do you have any idea on what you are looking for (size/material/etc...). Bernheart Interior is usually my go to brand for furniture as they have really great artistic pieces.

For coffee tables, I really like glass/acrylic tops, since you can then see the carpet details underneath and it doesn't take as much visual space as a wood/granite/marble/etc... top would.

1.jpg
If you have a large home/living room Christopher Guy has some really lovely modern pieces:
3.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any idea on what you are looking for (size/material/etc...). Bernheart Interior is usually my go to brand for furniture as they usually have really great artistic pieces.

For coffee tables, I really like glass/acrylic tops, since you can then see the carpet details underneath and it doesn't take as much visual space as a wood/granite/marble/etc... top would.

View attachment 4889923
If you have a large home/living room Christopher Guy has some really lovely modern pieces:
View attachment 4889925
Thank you, I just knew there would be tPF:ers with lots of experience and ideas.

Yes, a glass top table is one contender, the other is marble.

I'm a Scandinavian/European furniture appreciator at heart and I also love Americans like Eames. The tables I'm looking at are the Eames coffe table and the Tavolo con Route coffee table on wheels by Gae Aulenti. They both come in a few different sizes. The Eames tables are made by different manufacturers in the US and EU, where we don't have as many options to choose from. I like the one with the marble top best and for legs the choice is between black paint or natural ash. I want both, of course :biggrin: but we only need one.
vitra-eames-coffe-table-ambiente-02_zoom.jpg
Tavolo-con-Ruote_Gae-Aulenti.jpg

Last edited:
What about starting a Thread in the General Discussion Forum for now? That way you can start discussing Pros and Cons immediately.
Yes, look what we started! I think we will be moved by mods, if we don't do it ourselves :smile: But a sub forum will be more visible than just a thread in a place not visited by everyone on tPF.

Thank you, I just knew there would be tPF:ers with lots of experience and ideas.

Yes, a glass top table is one contender, the other is marble.

I'm a Scandinavian/European furniture appreciator at heart and I also love Americans like Eames. The tables I'm looking at are the Eames coffe table and the Tavolo con Route coffee table on wheels by Gae Aulenti. They both come in a few different sizes. The Eames tables are made by different manufacturers in the US and EU, where we don't have as many options to choose from. I like the one with the marble top best and for legs the choice is between black painted or natural ash. I want both, of course :biggrin: but we only need one.
View attachment 4889942
View attachment 4889943
What’s most of your furniture like? If you have mostly skandi designs and already have a lot of natural woods the ash might work better than the black.

The on wheels one is very modern and might clash with skandi styling.

However one thing to note is marble is quite a delicate material (it doesn’t like rapid temperature changes/needs sealing every couple of years to prevent staining).

From how you describe your preferred style, I'd say the Eames, with natural ash legs.

But if you want a contrasting element, then it sounds like the table with wheels would provide that. Nothing wrong with contrast, as long as it's intentional.

Since you don't mention it, I assume you don't need the table on wheels to make it easy to move around frequently? (like to move out of the way to have room to do yoga, as one example) That would be a strong reason to go for the wheeled table...

Reactions: Christofle
What’s most of your furniture like? If you have mostly skandi designs and already have a lot of natural woods the ash might work better than the black.

The on wheels one is very modern and might clash with skandi styling.

However one thing to note is marble is quite a delicate material (it doesn’t like rapid temperature changes/needs sealing every couple of years to prevent staining).
I think the Tavolo con Route will actually go well with what we already have. As would the Eames table. They're very similar in style really. I'm a bit of a "modern" Skandi, think Verner Panton.

I had forgotten about the Tavolo from when I was contemplating it a couple of years ago but my children were too young for a glass table then. And right when I had decided on the Eames table the Tavolo turned up in one of my searches for other things and now I can't make up my mind.

As I have children I've given up on expecting furniture anything to stay pristine :amuse: But I think there is a lot of charm to quality furniture that has actually been used. And it's often the intention with which it was made, at least in Scandinavia.

From how you describe your preferred style, I'd say the Eames, with natural ash legs.

But if you want a contrasting element, then it sounds like the table with wheels would provide that. Nothing wrong with contrast, as long as it's intentional.

Since you don't mention it, I assume you don't need the table on wheels to make it easy to move around frequently? (like to move out of the way to have room to do yoga, as one example) That would be a strong reason to go for the wheeled table...
As I wrote to Christofle, I don't think it would be too much of a contrast but more of a match either way. I just like both so much, I can't decide!

Luckily, now that we just moved houses, I finally have enough space in our bedroom (which is one of the calmest spaces in our house and with a gorgeous view) to do yoga again. Very happy about that!

I don’t think there will be any new non-purse forums in the distant future, per @Vlad ’s post here:https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/restructuring-of-forums.1032501/

There used to be an entire sub forum dedicated to Home & Garden, but it’s all been collapsed into General Discussion.
Aaaahw :sad: But thank you for the info.

And I was so excited about this because it's brilliant! I'm sure it would work and be a success. I think the correlation between people who appreciate designer bags and designer furniture is very strong. I'll throw out a few ideas and we'll see what they say.

Aaaahw :sad: But thank you for the info.

And I was so excited about this because it's brilliant! I'm sure it would work and be a success. I think the correlation between people who appreciate designer bags and designer furniture is very strong. I'll throw out a few ideas and we'll see what they say.

Reads to me like the nin-purse forums are being collapsed/merged due to lack of activity. Maybe if we can get enough conversation going it will work. I think including non-designer furniture, as you mentioned in the original post, would help get more conversations.