Epsom

Vln

May 5, 2019
Hello

I recently bought a gorgeous B30 in Epsom. I find that the leather is very stiff, making it slightly awkward to open and close. The only other item that I have in Epsom is a Constance wallet which is not as stiff. Will the leather of the B30 soften over time with use?

Reactions: classicgirll
I personally don't own Epsom, but I've been researching Hermes leather a lot (because now I've caught the bug) and watching You Tube videos of folks with their Epsom bags.
It looks like a very stiff, structured leather, which it's supposed to be, so it holds a bag's shape really well.
I worry it would not soften over time.
Someone with experience owning it could tell you better.

i own a Epsom b35 since two years and I thought, it is still as stiff as the first day. But today I bought my second b35 in Epsom and in comparision the older one is softer. So yes, ist will soften, but it takes time. I love Epsom btw.

I love epsom for the way it captures the colors.
I own various birkin in epsom and it will soften over time, still it will keep the shape.
I personally love epsom: no worry for the rain, lightweight, brilliant colors.
Congratulations!

Thank you for your replies. I was questioning whether I should sell it or keep it, since I wasn’t sure about the leather. I think I will keep it for now and see how it turns out. Love the specs: Bleu du Nord and GHW. The color is so saturated and deep. Hope it softens with time.

Reactions: DR2014 and Saaski
I love epsom for the way it captures the colors.
I own various birkin in epsom and it will soften over time, still it will keep the shape.
I personally love epsom: no worry for the rain, lightweight, brilliant colors.
Congratulations!
I have had a different experience with epsom. Mine completely bubbled when I was caught in the rain, and it scratches easily while opening it. I’m not a fan of it. But yes, very stiff indeed.

I got my 1st Epsom leather bag more than 15 years ago. DD as baby would drool on it. As toddler, she would put her toys in it & drag it across the floor. As tween, she helps me to carry it when my hands are full. Over all these years, no issues. Occasionally, I send it for spa to repair the corners (but that happens to all H bags) but I still love it:heart:

Yesterday I was offered B30 Noir in epsom PHW and it was my FIRST quota bag offer as well.... I also found that it was a little tough to open the bag up....

I turned it down bc I was really wishing it was ToGo. don’t know if I made a mistake or not, I’m kicking myself :frown:

It was definitely very light feeling but I could tell it would keep its shape over the years... but do you experienced epsom owners feel like it feels less casual because of the stiffness? I loooooooove the look of epsom on a Kelly Sellier, but I always equate the leather with a more buttoned up look and feel, and I wanted my first birkin to be more casual so that I would use it dressed down (and more often) Sorry to hijack the thread with my question:whut:

I have an Epsom GP, not a B, that I've carried almost daily as my throw-anything-in-it tote, and it has softened a bit, but not much. It still holds it shape (and looks great.)

I'll put it this way: I've always thought of Epsom as a workhorse leather, but not terribly luxurious, probably because it's stamped. I thought I'd want my future B to be in a different, more "special" leather. But experiencing Epsom as it ages, I might change my tune. I love that it holds it shape, but that's just me, with a GP.

The Epsom GP was also much lighter than the non-Epsom Togo (?) GP that I also tried.

Yesterday I was offered B30 Noir in epsom PHW and it was my FIRST quota bag offer as well.... I also found that it was a little tough to open the bag up....

I turned it down bc I was really wishing it was ToGo. don’t know if I made a mistake or not, I’m kicking myself :frown:

It was definitely very light feeling but I could tell it would keep its shape over the years... but do you experienced epsom owners feel like it feels less casual because of the stiffness? I loooooooove the look of epsom on a Kelly Sellier, but I always equate the leather with a more buttoned up look and feel, and I wanted my first birkin to be more casual so that I would use it dressed down (and more often) Sorry to hijack the thread with my question:whut:
I too wonder how it will hold up. It’s my first Epsom, other than a Constance wallet, which is holding up beautifully. My other bags in Clemence, Fjord and Togo have slouched, a look that I do not care for. I honestly bought this bag because I was afraid that my SA would not have another one with the exact specs that I asked for. I love everything about the bag except the leather. Only time will tell. If you didn’t like the leather, I would advise you to wait. I am beginning to regret my purchase.

My other bags in Clemence, Fjord and Togo have slouched, a look that I do not care for. I honestly bought this bag because I was afraid that my SA would not have another one with the exact specs that I asked for. I love everything about the bag except the leather. I am beginning to regret my purchase.

If you don’t like the slouch of togo, clemence, fjord, but also don’t like the “stiffness” of epsom, what is the ideal H leather you have in mind?

You should have no regrets. Please return it if it’s unused and you’re able.

I too wonder how it will hold up. It’s my first Epsom, other than a Constance wallet, which is holding up beautifully. My other bags in Clemence, Fjord and Togo have slouched, a look that I do not care for. I honestly bought this bag because I was afraid that my SA would not have another one with the exact specs that I asked for. I love everything about the bag except the leather. Only time will tell. If you didn’t like the leather, I would advise you to wait. I am beginning to regret my purchase.

Same, my only other epsom item is a Kelly To Go, so basically the size of a wallet and I can’t tell how it’ll work in a large bag. When I was inspecting the bag when it was offered, I saw that the stamped leather looked too shiny for my liking and I like the matte look and larger grains on the togo.

I have a Clemence Evelyn and the leather is so floppy, but perfect for errands in my PJ’s (which is on most days these days!) I have Maurice leather Picotin 22 which I love the feel of...but I’ve never seen a birkin in it.

I was afraid to turn down this offer from my SA and I felt so bad doing so.. but I’m willing to wait! My very sweet SA said she wanted me to be happy and that she’ll work hard on trying to get me my dream bag with my exact specs...I’m in it for the long haul!