Should I complain, or just move on?

daisy913

Apr 26, 2019
About a month and a half ago, I purchased a bag from Chanel. It had to be shipped across the country, so when I did receive it, I noticed the leather handle was peeling a bit. Requested an exchange. The second bag had a very obvious broken zipper. I was told that because my bag was purchased, Chanel wouldn't do any kind of complimentary repair, unless I returned it, and it went in as a stock repair. I was assured that I would be kept in the loop, and that I would be contacted once the bags were ready for purchase.

Fast forward, and I find out that not only did Chanel deem the two bags as "fine," the store had sold both bags too.

So now I'm sitting at home not knowing how to feel. I'm a very relaxed person, and I trust what people say, so when three SAs tell me they will keep me updated, I believe them. Maybe I could've done more by checking in weekly, but I wanted to trust their word and not be pushy. In a way, I feel stupid for trusting them. It also makes me wonder if I just got shelved because I'm pennies when compared to most of their clients (the boutique is in a VERY affluent area, top 1%).

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it. I don't know if this is something even worth complaining about to a manager. My regular SA is now trying to locate one for me, so here's to hoping.

You are obviously unhappy about it and I would be too. A broken zipper is not cool! Not sure about the policy where you are and if you could return it..? If you still could, just return and move on. GL and let us know what you end up doing.

You are obviously unhappy about it and I would be too. A broken zipper is not cool! Not sure about the policy where you are and if you could return it..? If you still could, just return and move on. GL and let us know what you end up doing.
I don't regularly buy from Chanel, so I don't know if this is really the policy for the US, but I was told that Chanel doesn't do courtesy repairs for items that have already been bought, even if it's new. I basically gave up both of my options, including the bag I purchased, the one with the peeled handle.

Chanel said both bags were "ok," and the boutique sold both bags without ever telling me they got them back in stock. I was supposed to repurchase the bag of my choosing.

Technically, I still have my money, so I guess that's "good." I'm just a little annoyed with how things were handled. It's not enough to get me to stop buying from Chanel, but I probably will be avoiding that boutique from now on, which is a shame since I actually like my SA there. I still want that bag though :annoyed:

That doesn’t make any sense what the Chanel SA told you! Why wouldn’t they be able to fix it after purchase? Very frustrating. It’s an unfortunate experience. May I ask what bag it was? Was it a seasonal bag or a classic bag? If it’s a seasonal bag and they are all sold out, it will be hard for you to get one. I would try different stores. Try NM or Saks Chanel. If it’s a classic bag, you can keep searching for one in better condition. It’s a good thing you did not settle on the damaged bags. These things cost a lot of money, and I’m glad your money was refunded to you. I hope you have better luck next time on your purchase.

Edit: definitely move on. There are nice SAs in other boutiques as well.

That doesn’t make any sense what the Chanel SA told you! Why wouldn’t they be able to fix it after purchase? Very frustrating. It’s an unfortunate experience. May I ask what bag it was? Was it a seasonal bag or a classic bag? If it’s a seasonal bag and they are all sold out, it will be hard for you to get one. I would try different stores. Try NM or Saks Chanel. If it’s a classic bag, you can keep searching for one in better condition. It’s a good thing you did not settle on the damaged bags. These things cost a lot of money, and I’m glad your money was refunded to you. I hope you have better luck next time on your purchase.

Edit: definitely move on. There are nice SAs in other boutiques as well.
Yeah, I was a little skeptical about Chanel not offering some kind of aftercare, especially on a new piece, but I figured the SAs knew what they were talking about. It was the cc filigree/lunchbox in beige/black combo. The last time it came out was 3 years ago, so I guess I'll be waiting again.

I think what happened was that they didn’t try to repair it at all and just sold the defective item as is. If I were you, I would be glad I didn’t spend that amount of money on a defective bag and move on.
Yes, that's what happened. Although I have some doubts, since I doubt someone would have purchased a bag that doesn't zip open all the way because of a visibly broken zipper. The teeth weren't aligned from a previous jam, and that kind of repair means replacing the entire zipper unit. Also, I found out today that I shouldn't have been asked to return the bag in order to initiate a repair.

At this point, it's not about the bag anymore. It's the fact that three people assisted me that day, advised me incorrectly, and then despite assuring me that they would keep me informed, none of them did. I understand mistakes and slip ups happen, but I would think that between the three of them, someone would have notified their manager and/or team about the bags and the situation.

I think that what happened is that they don’t want to have a new bag in for repair and keep you (the customer) hanging on. It is easier for them to refund your money and tell you to repurchase. I have no doubt they repaired the faults then sold on to an unsuspecting customer. By then, it is the same as a brand new, faultless bag. I think youve been the victim of poor after-sales care and slack SAs but it is your choice if you feel that a complaint might get you a result you want Or not.