Beautiful Birkin, but do I keep her?

Sep 20, 2008
Hello H friends,
I've recently purchased my first Hermes bag, a pre-loved Swift Birkin 35 in black with palladium HW.
She is a gorgeous bag! Hope my photo is attached.
I have many lovely vintage H scarves, I appreciate Hermes quality.
My go-to bags are Vuitton coated canvas and Longchamp Planetes, so I am not used to heavy bags.
And this Birkin is heavy, as those of you in-the-know.....know.

I purchased this bag. Returned it. Then repurchased it, because it just called out to me.

The silky feel of the leather, and the scent of the bag... which reminds me of my horse's tack... Is just heavenly.

I used it today, to try it out. I find it heavy, and the inside pocket slouches into the interior of the bag. If I keep it, I'm gonna Duck Tape that sucker.....

Need your help. I LOVE and collect beautiful bags (I am a Taurus, lover of beauty LOL). But I also enjoy USING my bags. I take good care of them, but don't baby them.

Do I keep this lovely Birkin, or let her go.....and move on.

IMG_4122.jpg

Keep it. It can never compare to the weight of a longchamp or Louis Vuitton canvas (at least for most) but the quality of Hermès is also far incomparable to any other designers. Truly one of a kind. The fact that you returned it and repurchased it is a no brainer about keeping it. As for the weight, maybe just use it occasionally as compared to daily cause it can get heavy. Or, just bring essentials?

Keep it. It can never compare to the weight of a longchamp or Louis Vuitton canvas (at least for most) but the quality of Hermès is also far incomparable to any other designers. Truly one of a kind. The fact that you returned it and repurchased it is a no brainer about keeping it. As for the weight, maybe just use it occasionally as compared to daily cause it can get heavy. Or, just bring essentials?
Thank you! I totally agree with you.

Reactions: RT1
I was in a similar situation... After carrying Goyard and LV canvas (and even LV empreinte bags that are not lined in leather), the Birkin 35 was an adjustment! It felt so heavy to me, that I bought a 30 shortly after the 35. Not sure how heavy Swift is, but my Epsom 35 feels lighter than my Birkin 30 in a different leather.

It might not work for everyone, but I am now just used to the weight of both my 30 and 35. If anything, it's only when my super heavy iPhone 11 is in my bag instead of my pocket that I start noticing the weight. (I just asked for the iPhone 12 mini for Christmas. :biggrin: )

Reactions: paula24jen and RT1
I was in a similar situation... After carrying Goyard and LV canvas (and even LV empreinte bags that are not lined in leather), the Birkin 35 was an adjustment! It felt so heavy to me, that I bought a 30 shortly after the 35. Not sure how heavy Swift is, but my Epsom 35 feels lighter than my Birkin 30 in a different leather.

It might not work for everyone, but I am now just used to the weight of both my 30 and 35. If anything, it's only when my super heavy iPhone 11 is in my bag instead of my pocket that I start noticing the weight. (I just asked for the iPhone 12 mini for Christmas. :biggrin: )
The biggest reason I still have an iPhone 5. I love that it is small and lightweight !

Hello H friends,
I've recently purchased my first Hermes bag, a pre-loved Swift Birkin 35 in black with palladium HW.
She is a gorgeous bag! Hope my photo is attached.
I have many lovely vintage H scarves, I appreciate Hermes quality.
My go-to bags are Vuitton coated canvas and Longchamp Planetes, so I am not used to heavy bags.
And this Birkin is heavy, as those of you in-the-know.....know.

I purchased this bag. Returned it. Then repurchased it, because it just called out to me.

The silky feel of the leather, and the scent of the bag... which reminds me of my horse's tack... Is just heavenly.

I used it today, to try it out. I find it heavy, and the inside pocket slouches into the interior of the bag. If I keep it, I'm gonna Duck Tape that sucker.....

Need your help. I LOVE and collect beautiful bags (I am a Taurus, lover of beauty LOL). But I also enjoy USING my bags. I take good care of them, but don't baby them.

Do I keep this lovely Birkin, or let her go.....and move on.

View attachment 4887336

The bag is beautiful, keep it.

I recommend putting an insert into your handbag. The insert will keep your bag organized, and IMO, eliminates the need to use the inside pocket (it may even help to keep the inside pocket in place).

If you are okay with keeping something because you love it and think it’s beautiful, then keep it. It doesn’t sound as if you are going to use it but sometimes that is okay.

Duct tape will make a mess of your interior. There has to be a better solution.

Agree here.. If the bag makes your heart sing I'd keep it but I would not use duct tape I would look for another
solution.
Perhaps take another few days to decide about the bag that may make a difference one way or another

I've Learned the hard, expensive way that just because I really want something to work for me, it might not be for me. I carry very little and don’t like heavy bags but I wanted a B35 bc I love the look of them. I got my dream bag and exclaimed that I would love it forever. Sadly, I am now rehoming her bc I just don’t use it bc it is too big and too heavy. You need to really decide if this bag will work for YOU.

Due to weight, the B30 is my size. However, you’ve repurchased the 35 twice, so must really love it... perhaps just try to carry the minimum. Good luck with your decision and pls keep us posted! It’s a beautiful bag (I have a 30B in swift how, and I love the slouchiness :biggrin: