Not sure if this is a scam

Gabs007

Sofa King Banned
Feb 5, 2018
It happened now with several purchases, I pay, the seller then mails me that they haven't got the money, I give the the PP transfer number and provide a screen shot, back and forth a bit, on my account it shows as "pending, seller hasn't accepted yet", after a while they come back with "Oh made a mistake with my PP address" asking me to cancel and send it to another PP address, apparently they can't change the PP address they mistakenly gave wrong. It's not huge amounts, more in the range of 50, I have paid but sent it as payment and gave the eBay number, in case they don't send I can raise a claim with PP, however what worries me, since I then had to cancel the transfer and pay into another PP account, on eBay it appears as unpaid and I could get a strike?

I haven't purchased anything off of eBay in a very long time. However, this seems too fishy to me. This seller needs to get their account in order before they sell anything. I would tell them to call ebay and get the correct email address in their account. If you get a strike, I would send those emails from the seller to ebay. If the seller does not want to do this, I would report them. I know you say it's not for a large amount, but money is money. Normally, I would like to give someone the benefit of a doubt, but in our current world situation, the scamners are in full bloom.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ndali
I haven't purchased anything off of eBay in a very long time. However, this seems too fishy to me. This seller needs to get their account in order before they sell anything. I would tell them to call ebay and get the correct email address in their account. If you get a strike, I would send those emails from the seller to ebay. If the seller does not want to do this, I would report them. I know you say it's not for a large amount, but money is money. Normally, I would like to give someone the benefit of a doubt, but in our current world situation, this scamners are in full bloom.

I didn't think much about the 1st one the seller provided tracking, should arrive soon, I think it can happen and not sure if they can't change it, it could be all a weird coincidence but in case they issue a strike, I can show that I paid, it wasn't claimed for days with messages via eBay going back and forth and the seller asking me to cancel and transfer to a similar email address, it is just 3 times the same issue in a very short time seems a bit strange.

Reactions: cbarrus
The seller may not be able to change it but I would think eBay could change it for them. Certainly not a way to do business. Maybe others will have a better answer for you.

Reactions: Gabs007
The seller may not be able to change it but I would think eBay could change it for them. Certainly not a way to do business. Maybe others will have a better answer for you.

In all honesty, they were all relatively new or only bought before, that is why I am giving a lot of benefit of the doubt

Reactions: cbarrus
if I were you I would contact PayPal or eBay and discuss the matter. It sounds fishy imo
Contacting PP is not happening, you never get a human and there are no options for the problem, only for no delivery, the eBay chat agent read from a script and gave me auto text replies

As the money sits unclaimed then it is returned to you when you cancel the payment. I think people do mistype their email addresses in all innocence (have come across it a handful of times over the years). They, nor ebay, nor PP can resolve it other than completely relisting the item with the correct payment email address. You still have PP protection when paying to a different email address but forfeit your eBay money back guarantee according to eBay. Hope that helps.

As the money sits unclaimed then it is returned to you when you cancel the payment. I think people do mistype their email addresses in all innocence (have come across it a handful of times over the years). They, nor ebay, nor PP can resolve it other than completely relisting the item with the correct payment email address. You still have PP protection when paying to a different email address but forfeit your eBay money back guarantee according to eBay. Hope that helps.

I know that, and the 1st item arrived today, my only concern about it was that the item then looks in eBay as unpaid and I can get a strike, for example if they send me a total piece of rubbish, I can return with the PP protection, but they then can dent my account with "item not paid"

The occasional mistype doesn't bother me much, we've all been there, but it was just happening more than usual, could be coincidence or a new scam, that is why I asked

I know that, and the 1st item arrived today, my only concern about it was that the item then looks in eBay as unpaid and I can get a strike, for example if they send me a total piece of rubbish, I can return with the PP protection, but they then can dent my account with "item not paid"

The occasional mistype doesn't bother me much, we've all been there, but it was just happening more than usual, could be coincidence or a new scam, that is why I asked
You won't get an unpaid item strike. I've had similar experiences with item cancellation, both before paying and after paying.

With a buyer who requested to cancel before paying, it shows as if I'm waiting for the money on the left "Payments" side of the page, yet the sale itself shows as canceled.

With a buyer who paid and requested to cancel and needed a refund (after cancelling), it shows as I didn't ship and says that I'm overdue on the shipping time, but it also shows as canceled. (No defect for me. Just another of ebay's weird way of showing things.)

It happened now with several purchases, I pay, the seller then mails me that they haven't got the money, I give the the PP transfer number and provide a screen shot, back and forth a bit, on my account it shows as "pending, seller hasn't accepted yet", after a while they come back with "Oh made a mistake with my PP address" asking me to cancel and send it to another PP address, apparently they can't change the PP address they mistakenly gave wrong. It's not huge amounts, more in the range of 50, I have paid but sent it as payment and gave the eBay number, in case they don't send I can raise a claim with PP, however what worries me, since I then had to cancel the transfer and pay into another PP account, on eBay it appears as unpaid and I could get a strike?
Deal with the issue through eBay if you bought the item via their platform. Seller sounds dodgy. I wouldn’t send any money to another PP address other than to the one the item you purchased is linked to. If you do anything outside eBay you may not be covered if anything goes wrong. Give eBay a call to explain the issue. I’ve always found eBay very helpful whenever I’ve had a problem.

Reactions: MAGJES
You won't get an unpaid item strike. I've had similar experiences with item cancellation, both before paying and after paying.

With a buyer who requested to cancel before paying, it shows as if I'm waiting for the money on the left "Payments" side of the page, yet the sale itself shows as canceled.

With a buyer who paid and requested to cancel and needed a refund (after cancelling), it shows as I didn't ship and says that I'm overdue on the shipping time, but it also shows as canceled. (No defect for me. Just another of ebay's weird way of showing things.)

One of the sellers kept sending me the payment reminders via eBay, that's why I was a bit worried, that the seller can trigger the "unpaid item" claim

One of the sellers kept sending me the payment reminders via eBay, that's why I was a bit worried, that the seller can trigger the "unpaid item" claim
Contact eBay. Seller has no grounds for an unpaid claim if you've sent the payment to the registered paypal address associated with the transaction.

Last edited:
Contact eBay. Seller has no grounds for an unpaid claim if you've sent the payment to the registered paypal address associated with the transaction.

It was finally resolved, but I had it before where they then cancelled the the whole transaction, sometimes I get the feeling that they do it deliberately if they worry an item goes for not enough