Would you accept an item that has had to be sent to the workshop for servicing before you even use it?

Hi guys, I purchased a Frivole btf ring (yg, no pave) before the price increase. As there were none in my size available in my country at the time, my SA had it shipped from elsewhere.

I went to pick it up from the boutique some three weeks later, but to my dismay, the petals of the Frivole ring were cloudy and marked, and no amount of cleaning by my SA could help. My SA had it sent to the workshop for an assessment that very day. She told me there were no other rings in my size available in the region and it is unlikely they will be receiving any in the store anytime soon.

I am of course super disappointed that the ring I paid for came in such bad shape. I guess that's one of the major downsides of purchasing an item without getting the chance to inspect it first. I have a few questions:

1. Should I even accept this ring if the workshop somehow manages to remove the cloudiness and marks on the petals? The servicing would probably involve some amount of polishing and removal of a layer of gold from the ring correct? I hate to think the ring would no longer be pristine; besides I don't think I should be paying full price for a ring that has had to be serviced before I even use it. Or am I simply being too picky and particular?

2. Should I wait for a brand new Frivole ring to come? It could take weeks or even months. And I don't even know if my order will be prioritised since I've already paid in full for this damaged ring. Or should I just do an exchange and get the new RG GMOP Magic Alhambra Pendant instead? The only drawback is that I'd have to pay the new, more expensive price for the pendant. So much for a beat the price increase purchase! Sigh.

It seems that you are really bothered by it. So I would suggest that you wait for it - a new ring will arrive eventually. Also, what if you took the serviced ring home and 1 month later, the boutique has a brand new one in your size. Will you start to notice the difference in size? weight? This thing never ends. So perhaps wait for it, if you can.

Retail therapy should bring happiness and joy. This sounds a bit too stressful ...

I would ask for exchange. This is a popular ring and there are many sizes currently available on the website. I was quoted a few months for a different ring, but only took a couple weeks, shipped from France.

“besides I don't think I should be paying full price for a ring that has had to be serviced before I even use it”

you answered your own question right here. no you’re not being picky - you paid brand new price for a brand new ring and you should get a brand new ring without a history behind it.

return it. tell them you will wait for a new one to come in and make them guarantee the old price because this situation is not your fault.

Reactions: Lux.
It seems that you are really bothered by it. So I would suggest that you wait for it - a new ring will arrive eventually. Also, what if you took the serviced ring home and 1 month later, the boutique has a brand new one in your size. Will you start to notice the difference in size? weight? This thing never ends. So perhaps wait for it, if you can.

Retail therapy should bring happiness and joy. This sounds a bit too stressful ...

“besides I don't think I should be paying full price for a ring that has had to be serviced before I even use it”

you answered your own question right here. no you’re not being picky - you paid brand new price for a brand new ring and you should get a brand new ring without a history behind it.

return it. tell them you will wait for a new one to come in and make them guarantee the old price because this situation is not your fault.

Well I'm sure that behind the scenes, many items receive some sort of servicing and polishing before being sold to customers, especially if they were display pieces. It's just that we were not aware of the history behind the item and thus happier to accept it as brand new and pristine.

This time, the image of the cloudy and marked ring just sticks in my mind and I'm not sure if I can get over it. I also wonder how much gold is removed when the ring is polished. Would the amount be so significant as to make a difference in the weight?

Nope. For the price you should get an item you are happy with. That's what luxury shopping is about. You paid for a brand new item. They need to provide it for you.

Reactions: limom