My first Kelly! Would you return it

Would you keep it

• Yes

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • No

Votes: 166 96.0%

• Total voters
The bag from outside looks wonderful it even has strong leather smell like it isn’t used at all or Used very little So I can’t believe it has cracks inside and on the top of the flap. They always say Hermes has special craftsmanship and this beg wasn’t useD and abused so this can happen
Tpfers sometimes post on @docride Lazarus thread. She can do amazing things to restore vintage Hermes saddles and bags and she might have an opinion. . . also agree as to the point and good advice made by @Sylvain above; docride could certainly render an opinion from the point of view of a professional restorer

I have seen 4 people voted keep.
I am interested to know is this something that usually happens with h bags?
This bag doesn’t look used from outside so how could this happen? I would think that the leather is too heavy? Will this happen to other Kelly’s also. I don’t pamper bags, I use them. If I would be wearing all my items inside like usual would another Kelly hold them without cracking

No it is not. I have never seen anything like that. Return it immediately.

I can't even understand why 5 people voted keep.

Hi ladies,
I just purchased a Kelly from one consignment store. I was really happy with my purchase but today I got the bag and saw inside cracks. Would this be a problem for you or this is something acceptable?

View attachment 4878155

View attachment 4878156

View attachment 4878157

View attachment 4878158

View attachment 4878159

View attachment 4878160

View attachment 4878161

I would say it depends how much you paid for it, if it was a fabulous bargain, I would be prepared to put up with it, if you paid close to RT, no way

Reactions: RT1
I have seen 4 people voted keep.
I am interested to know is this something that usually happens with h bags?
This bag doesn’t look used from outside so how could this happen? I would think that the leather is too heavy? Will this happen to other Kelly’s also. I don’t pamper bags, I use them. If I would be wearing all my items inside like usual would another Kelly hold them without cracking

And 100 people have voted for you to return it. Fact that you’re second guessing the advice means that you want to keep it no matter what others think. Cracks cannot be fixed without replacing the leather, which would probably cost more than a new bag all said and done. You can always enjoy the bag and pray it doesn’t get worse if you got a phenomenal deal.

I'm no expert but although I voted to return it I wonder if it is actually the Resin that has cracked not the actual leather? why this would happen on a good as new bag I have no idea and likewise I dont know if the resin can be repaired.
Secondly I did wonder if maybe the bag had been re-dyed White from another pale colour and hence these cracks appearing?
just a thought.

And 100 people have voted for you to return it. Fact that you’re second guessing the advice means that you want to keep it no matter what others think. Cracks cannot be fixed without replacing the leather, which would probably cost more than a new bag all said and done. You can always enjoy the bag and pray it doesn’t get worse if you got a phenomenal deal.
No, I didn’t think to keep I am asking as I wanted to buy a Kelly long time and now receiving this one makes me think Hermes bags are as not as good as I thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: RT1
Hermes bags are as not as good as I thought.
@Pinkie, I’ve bought well over 30 preloved and new Hermes bags in the past 12 years for personal use (and commissioned projects for cheap rescue bags (structurally sound) and iv never seen peeling like in a bag that was billed or priced as decent condition.
i didnt vote in your poll, but when I started collecting H, I knowingly bought my first preloved kelly with some dry cracks on the arms (sanglers) and handle But for cheap with great body patina. I had to wait months for the work t be done, but Hermes replaced handle and arms. including Purchase price and replacement parts, I spent maybe 2.8k usd total. in retrospect given the length of time waiting, I probably would have been better off just buying a better bag, especially bc it was my first. There are a ton of bargains out there now. I’ve since decided that future rescue bags have to be either dirt cheap or solid structurally or I have to somehow love them enough to act unreasonably Lol. I’m positive that there are cheap white kelly bags out there and @so_sofya1985 can teach us how to power wash them :biggrin: (she posted in H in action about her experience)
Good luck and keep us posted!

Was about to purchase it and glad I didn’t. Been having issues with this store as they hardly disclose anything at all. I would return. I feel sorry for you.
I’ve bought from DE in the past, but their condition descriptions are so hit and miss it’s ridiculous. Occasionally you get lucky and find a new bag described as used, but more often it’s the other way round in my experience, and something described as in excellent condition is very well used. I don’t bother looking anymore, I got fed up of returning stuff.
I’d send this back, it looks awfully stretched and it’s very poor value for £5 k

Reactions: Pinkie*
I thought exactly the same but the rest of the bag is so flawless that it looks to me it was carried opened without stuff inside, but the body of the bag is heavy and this caused the damage. I would like to buy a Kelly and wear it open but if this can happen I need to think about it. It isn’t about showing the logo, I like the look of opened Kelly, it looks very casual and chic.

Unlike the B, a tote that also only shows the logo when held open, a Kelly - not a tote- cannot be carried open without some damage happening to the bag - even if it doesn't show at first.

The reason why the trend started is because people wanted others to see the logo.

If you like the casual look why not go for a B or other more casual H bag? Plenty to choose from.

I hope you now have enough information to make your choice.

Currently there are 115 people who say return the bag and 5 who say keep.

If this thread goes into other topics much further such as the coolness of carrying a K upside own or on one's head I will have to close the thread :upsidedown: