First Chanel Bag: Extra Mini Caviar Old Version (4 eyelets) - please help me decide :)

Extra Mini Old Version: Would you be getting this as your first Chanel Bag?

• Yes, absolutely!

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No, I'll wait for another offer

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

gabigabi

Jul 11, 2018
Hello Ladies, I need some suggestions about getting my first Chanel bag. Since Chanel bags in caviar are hard to get, I am considering to buy one, Extra Mini in Black Caviar Leather but in older version with four eyelets. My concern is the depth of the bag, which is 1,5cm narrower than the newer version (old version 3,5cm new version 5cm), so the measurements are 17 x 10,5 x 3,5 cm, also it has different form than the newer one (four eyelets vs. two eyelets and smaller size of cross-stiching). If you were me, do you think it will be a timeless piece and good investment or should I wait and search for another bag? Because I save a lot and sell almost all my bags to afford this. Thanks alot for any opinion! :smile::smile:
121423863_2763825980555430_7346205136929716395_n.jpg121423863_2763825980555430_7346205136929716395_n2.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: BrownBuggy
Thanks for the vote :smile: Since the score is the same, I get more confused to be honest. The seller give me some time to consider.
If the price point of this preloved extra mini is a bit lower than Chanel WOC, would you be getting it?
I'd love to hear some opinion. Have a great weekend for you all :smile:

Last edited:
I think it's a timeless piece but imo not a bag in size. If you have to sell all your other bags, this would be your only bag. Are all your bags the same size as this?

I adore the looks of this but in size it's a woc. That mostly means a cardholder, no full wallet, no sunglasses and no extra room. I can make mini bags work, but not if it would be my only bag. This because a bag should carry my belongings in the first place, and I think this can hardly fit anything.

If this size works for you, go for it. And although this is stunning, the size does not make this very versatile. That the material is more sturdy wouldn't matter if the size doesn't work out. If price is more important, try to save more or keep searching for a pre loved bag that will fit more.

It depends what your usual purse size is, for me at least a medium sized bag is most versatile, as still small enough to be fairly lightweight, not bump into things easily, could be dressed up, but large enough that I can fit my normal wallet and a pair of sunglasses at least. I have some smaller bags that I bought because they were cute, but I barely use them because my wallet doesn't fit.

I tend to wear mostly small-size crossbody bag on weekend for day or night out (weekdays I use non-luxury working bag as I choose not to wear luxury if I go to office). But you are right, @Egel , this bag is so narrow, with 3,5cm depth can only fit my phone, card holder, thin key holder and lipstick, no extra room for hand sanitizer and wet tissue as we all need to bring nowadays.
Do you mean the bag is not versatile because it can only be for special occasion not casual use? Your opinion definitely will be put into my consideration. I have not decided yet, since I still have some doubt regarding the style and size.

I think it's a timeless piece but imo not a bag in size. If you have to sell all your other bags, this would be your only bag. Are all your bags the same size as this?

I adore the looks of this but in size it's a woc. That mostly means a cardholder, no full wallet, no sunglasses and no extra room. I can make mini bags work, but not if it would be my only bag. This because a bag should carry my belongings in the first place, and I think this can hardly fit anything.

If this size works for you, go for it. And although this is stunning, the size does not make this very versatile. That the material is more sturdy wouldn't matter if the size doesn't work out. If price is more important, try to save more or keep searching for a pre loved bag that will fit more.

Reactions: Egel
My weekend-day-out bag so far are LV Pochette Accessoires, LV Pochette Felicie, and Gucci Marmont Supermini to be worn as crossbody bag. If I decided to switch into Chanel, then at least I need to sell all these three. May I know @DreamingBeauty which Chanel bag is your favorite size? Is it the classic medium flap?

It depends what your usual purse size is, for me at least a medium sized bag is most versatile, as still small enough to be fairly lightweight, not bump into things easily, could be dressed up, but large enough that I can fit my normal wallet and a pair of sunglasses at least. I have some smaller bags that I bought because they were cute, but I barely use them because my wallet doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: DreamingBeauty
Get even more tempted when I saw Lily-Rose Depp wore almost the same bag in this picture (not sure if it is exactly the same version and size), a cute little bag, but only for special events. Definitely a tough decision for me to keep or let the bag go :sad:

09212129-07-vanessa-paradis-lily-rose-deppnewj12-launch-hd_article_786x1000.jpg
(Photo: Chanel)

It seems like a bag that you won't be able to wear very often as its size is more for special occasions. So I would hold off on this one. Get something you will get more use out of. :smile: :smile: :smile:

I tend to wear mostly small-size crossbody bag on weekend for day or night out (weekdays I use non-luxury working bag as I choose not to wear luxury if I go to office). But you are right, @Egel , this bag is so narrow, with 3,5cm depth can only fit my phone, card holder, thin key holder and lipstick, no extra room for hand sanitizer and wet tissue as we all need to bring nowadays.
Do you mean the bag is not versatile because it can only be for special occasion not casual use? Your opinion definitely will be put into my consideration. I have not decided yet, since I still have some doubt regarding the style and size.
I don't think this bag is versatile because of the size. You can use it casual and for special occasions but it doesn't fit much. I saw that you're already using small bags, but this is even smaller.

Maybe you can get something same size and see if everything fits. I love zara or h&m because they have everything and are cheap, if a bag doesn't work at least I didn't spend much. There is a purple snakeskin bag at Zara that is less than twenty euro and 5 cm. If that is too small for your daily belongings you know that 3.5 won't work at all. Just try a cheap bag of the same size and use that for a test run.

love the bag of Lily-Rose but keep in mind that she is only attending a fashion show and she is with her mother. She doesn't have to carry all here belongings. The bag might even be just for show and empty. Or her phone might be in her mothers bag. If she wears a regular rectangular mini flap, size is 20 x 12 x 7 cm, twice as wide as the bag your eying. How a bag looks on someone else doesn't say anything about if a bag will actualy work for you.

Reactions: heytheredelilah
It seems like you like small bags. You’re right it won’t fit a lot of things. If you get that bag, you would have to be ok with not being able to carry those extra items. If you are ok with that and just like the aesthetics of it then get it. If it would bother you that you can’t fit anything, then don’t. I have a woc and a square mini, both I find too small. My reissue mini fits my bare minimum.

From one super tiny bag lover to another: I support getting it!
I owned both the Gucci Super Mini and the Chanel Extra Mini with the 5cm depth.
(check out my comparison photos here )
So.... the extra mini you are looking at is going fit much less than your Gucci super mini. But the good news is that even if you waited around for a regular 5cm Chanel extra mini you wouldn’t find the capacity of the Chanel extra mini to be much better than this one. It’s because unlike the Gucci super mini, the 5cm Chanel extra mini has a center divider *facepalm* so you actually get two 1.5cm bits of space?
49F41F9F-571B-4FB0-849A-F2F13BAAAC3C.jpeg
I honestly don’t know why they did that. I wish they didn’t, but the bag fits a phone, flat cardholder, and my house keys (not in a holder). For this extra mini, I think you can try to stick the same items in, it *might* fit considering there is likely no divider. Or else just hold your phone! If you are a tiny bag lover you already know how to live with a tiny bag, you’ll be fine. I own large bags and still never put my phone in them? I’m always using my phone anyway.
However, you asked if it is a timeless investment: to me only the classic double flaps are timeless pieces from Chanel. Not a mini, not an extra mini. You’ll have to decide that this extra mini is a timeless TO YOU, because you are a tiny bag loving person and you’ll never get tired of it. I am living for the current micro bag trend, but it will pass and you definitely won’t get what you paid for if you buy it now, at the peak of tiny bag hype.

FYI: I sold my Gucci super mini, mostly because it’s too similar in (external) size to the Chanel extra mini and i’m a little over the Gucci Marmont line. As for the purpose of these tiny bags in my collection, they are weekend bags for lunch or dinner out, or a quick shopping trip in good weather (because if not i’d need an umbrella). I have a variety of other sized bags in my collection for work or bad weather conditions.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 880
Hello Ladies, I need some suggestions about getting my first Chanel bag. Since Chanel bags in caviar are hard to get, I am considering to buy one, Extra Mini in Black Caviar Leather but in older version with four eyelets. My concern is the depth of the bag, which is 1,5cm narrower than the newer version (old version 3,5cm new version 5cm), so the measurements are 17 x 10,5 x 3,5 cm, also it has different form than the newer one (four eyelets vs. two eyelets and smaller size of cross-stiching). If you were me, do you think it will be a timeless piece and good investment or should I wait and search for another bag? Because I save a lot and sell almost all my bags to afford this. Thanks alot for any opinion! :smile::smile:
View attachment 4880093View attachment 4880154
I'm curious about this bag. Is it from a reseller? Do you have a link to the listing?