Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

I have a NYC Shoulder Purse that is super worn. It has the same pattern, that I thought was wear, on the dog leash clips and D rings too. I bought it on eBay at least a year ago.

There are so many like that it can't just be one or two people doing it. Wouldn't you need special tools?

Mine are really smooth. They look like they were done with maybe some sort of circular drill bit? They definitely don’t look like they were done by hand. My plaza rehab is on hold until my new d-rings arrive in the mail. Im planning on cutting the old ones off because the structure seems compromised thanks to the dents in them. They feel “weak” :sad:

What I was referring to is pricing items for more than their value. Would you buy the $80 court bag in my screenshot? That is a very good example of thrift stores becoming too expensive. Im not saying to sell things for next to nothing just because you get them for free, but trying to squeeze every dollar out of something that is 100% profit is just plain greedy & I see too many thrifts these days doing exactly that. It becomes pretty pointless to shop secondhand stores when the prices are on par with what I can find on Ebay, Etsy, Poshmark etc.
Here is another way I look at it. I have been in and out of lots of thrift and consignments shops over the past two decades or more in my area. I really began to understand why many thrift shops sold items at a higher price. There is a particular thrift shop that supports a Friend's School in a nearby town with a significant median income. They get top shelf donated items of all kinds. And I began to notice and over hear the volunteers and customers alike talk about items being purchased for resale. I have seen very few Coach there. The last one I saw years ago was $60. And more and more, I could see (and overhear) people scouting out items in thrift shops to flip. I would also imagine retail space is increasing in cost, and utilities, etc. So I don't blame any shop or individual for wanting to set a higher price for a Coach bag. Why shouldn't they have the extra $ instead of the buyer who wants to flip and upcharge? And yes, I would like the Coach bag at $10 instead of $40, but then if I don't think it's worth $40, they don't get my business/$. And if I do spend $40, then I get a vintage Coach I really wanted any way. And if the price is really over the top, like seen with some online sellers, so be it. It will just sit till someone decides it's worth it and they shell out the money or the price gets reduced. Or it sits. I realize this is not a popular opinion, but it is reality.
And I don't disagree, why bother looking locally if you can get it online.

Last edited:
There were posts about a seller who did this to her bags, if I remember right it was within the last 6 or 8 months or so. It's a really STUPID seller/owner modification that weakens the clip and probably scratches the heck out of whatever it's clipped to. Please post the URL where you bought it, there's no easy search term I can think of to help me find those posts. It did NOT come that way from the factory and has nothing to do with the style of bag.
Search your posts in AT and "D rings" and it will come up August 6.

Here is another way I look at it. I have been in and out of lots of thrift and consignments shops over the past two decades or more in my area. I really began to understand why many thrift shops sold items at a higher price. There is a particular thrift shop that supports a Friend's School in a nearby town with a significant median income. They get top shelf donated items of all kinds. And I began to notice and over hear the volunteers and customers alike talk about items being purchased for resale. I have seen very few Coach there. The last one I saw years ago was $60. And more and more, I could see (and overhear) people scouting out items in thrift shops to flip. I would also imagine retail space is increasing in cost, and utilities, etc. So I don't blame any shop or individual for wanting to set a higher price for a Coach bag. Why shouldn't they have the extra $ instead of the buyer who wants to flip and upcharge? And yes, I would like the Coach bag at $10 instead of $40, but then if I don't think it's worth $40, they don't get my business/$. And if I do spend $40, then I get a vintage Coach I really wanted any way. I realize this is not a popular opinion, but it is reality.

Its not only bags, everything seems to be getting more expensive at the thrifts Ive been to but yes you’re correct. A lot of thrift stores see what people are flipping things for & price according to that. Over on the thriftstore subreddit, people will complain in the comments that store workers use Ebay to look up what similar items are listed for & then price according to that. Im all for profit, but where is the line? What about people who are being priced out of shopping at second hand places because they can no longer afford it? I only go thrifting once a month now because its not worth spending all that time going through racks & shelves only to find something good but realize it has a $50 price tag attached to it lol. Also, Im a millennial (or maybe I fall into gen Z, not sure) so I accept partial blame for the hand my generation had in flipping things online lol. Even my hidden gem thrift hired young people & now they have social media accounts where they post name brand items available for sale in store- hashtags & everything!!

Last edited:
Its not only bags, everything seems to be getting more expensive at the thrifts Ive been to but yes you’re correct. A lot of thrift stores see what people are flipping things for & price according to that. Over on the thriftstore subreddit, people will complain in the comments that store workers use Ebay to look up what similar items are listed for & then price according to that. Im all for profit, but where is the line? What about people who are being priced out of shopping at second hand places because they can no longer afford it? I only go thrifting once a month now because its not worth spending all that time going through racks & shelves only to find something good but realize it has a $50 price tag attached to it lol. Also, Im a millennial (or maybe I fall into gen Z, not sure) so I accept partial blame for the hand my generation had in flipping things online lol. Even my hidden gem thrift hired young people & now they have social media accounts where they post name brand items available for sale in store- hashtags & everything!!
I think mostly it is the designer stuff that is getting overpriced. People who can't afford to shop anywhere else can probably still afford the non-designer stuff at thrifts. I bet more than half of the people in a thrift store at any given time are people looking to resell.

Here is another way I look at it. I have been in and out of lots of thrift and consignments shops over the past two decades or more in my area. I really began to understand why many thrift shops sold items at a higher price. There is a particular thrift shop that supports a Friend's School in a nearby town with a significant median income. They get top shelf donated items of all kinds. And I began to notice and over hear the volunteers and customers alike talk about items being purchased for resale. I have seen very few Coach there. The last one I saw years ago was $60. And more and more, I could see (and overhear) people scouting out items in thrift shops to flip. I would also imagine retail space is increasing in cost, and utilities, etc. So I don't blame any shop or individual for wanting to set a higher price for a Coach bag. Why shouldn't they have the extra $ instead of the buyer who wants to flip and upcharge? And yes, I would like the Coach bag at $10 instead of $40, but then if I don't think it's worth $40, they don't get my business/$. And if I do spend $40, then I get a vintage Coach I really wanted any way. And if the price is really over the top, like seen with some online sellers, so be it. It will just sit till someone decides it's worth it and they shell out the money or the price gets reduced. Or it sits. I realize this is not a popular opinion, but it is reality.

I would happily pay the same price I’d pay online if I could find these items locally. Realistically most listings on ebay are people flipping items they acquired at their local thrift stores anyway (in many cases they even still have the tags attached!). In terms of vintage bags, I can understand the up charge if the bag has been washed and/or conditioned but that’s not the case most of the time. if it’s straight profit for the seller anyway I would want more proceeds to go to the local nonprofits - so I am glad that they are keeping up with the items’ value online and pricing them accordingly.
The thrift shop in my town is a non profit. Unfortunately there is also a consignment shop in town so the local thrift store doesn't get a lot of “good” donations... I don’t know where my fellow Canadian tpfers are located but I’ve never seen vintage coach at my local thrift store.

Reactions: Ravvie99
Search your posts in AT and "D rings" and it will come up August 6.

Thank you !!!!

I had a few details wrong, for which I'll claim a Senior Moment. It was D-rings rather than clips but the effect was the same.

and it wasn't the original owner who posted, just someone who bought the bag. So we still don't know what lunatic is doing this to their Coaches and then dumping them on unsuspecting buyers.

Reactions: Lake Effect
Question for anyone who owns a small plaza or has in the past. Does yours have this “dent” in the claw clip like mine does? Im wondering if this was just normal for that time period. I included the bag’s creed if that helps at all with the weird looking claw clip my bag has- TYIA:
View attachment 4878410View attachment 4878411
I have a NYC Basic Bag and a court bag, both bag's D rings had damage like that. Some people might intentionally cut the hardware to keep them in place, but mine were from wear and tear, because both bags the dog leash clasps, the surfaces contact the D Rings were not flat, the small raised portion acted like a very dull blades slowly cut into D rings over time.
I used E 6000 glue filled up the damaged area, waited 72 hrs, then touched up with metallic gold wax finish. So far they hold up pretty good.
ETA: I also used sand paper to file flat the dog leash clasps

IMG_20201016_075527.jpg

IMG_20201016_075541.jpg

IMG_20201016_075609.jpg

IMG_20201016_075616.jpg

16028574435537505312467358972370.jpg

Last edited:
I have a NYC Basic Bag and a court bag, both bag's D rings had damage like that. Some people might intentionally cut the hardware to keep them in place, but mine were from wear and tear, because both bags the dog leash clasps, the surfaces contact the D Rings were not flat, the small raised portion acted like a very dull blades slowly cut into D rings over time.
I used E 6000 glue filled up the damaged area, waited 72 hrs, then touched up with metallic gold wax finish. So far they hold up pretty good.
ETA: I also used sand paper to file flat the dog leash clasps

View attachment 4880137

View attachment 4880138

View attachment 4880139

View attachment 4880140

View attachment 4880141

Mine are very deep & curved. Im at work right now so I can’t take a picture but its made the d-rings pretty weak. They were already pretty thin to begin with so the modification made it worse. I ordered new solid brass d-rings. Im gonna use a saw to remove the old ones & then I will slide the new ones on :smile:

Was attaching the strap to my shoulder pouch to carry today and noticed this number on the strap ‘44’, anyone know what it means?

View attachment 4880223

View attachment 4880224

Im gonna take a stab in the dark & say it’s probably referring to your strap being 44 inches in length. Maybe they added that because there were different length straps people could order?