form or function?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
What's more important, functionality or the look/feel of a bag for you? I have certain things that are a must for me. Must be able to shoulder carry - preferably with the handles but if not, then with an optional shoulder strap. I have a strong preference for at least one outside pocket. Nice (feeling and looking) leather is a definite plus.
My new to me Matinee is great for functionality with all the pockets. I have no problem with the smaller opening. It fits great on shoulder. I think it's a bit large looks-wise but that's forgivable.
I have one Bal City that I love and was thinking of getting another. But really the Mattie is more functional. The City has just one outside pocket and it's not large enough to even hold my phone. Must be hand carried or use the optional shoulder strap.

So for now, I'm enjoying my Matinee. I think to find another one in a color I want would be a challenge and for now this one is enough. As far as the City, I just changed into it and gonna give it a try again to compare function-wise.

I know I've seen a few of you on the Bal subforum so any thoughts?

I think the best bag has a little of both! I love my MABs the most because they're so easy to use, get in and out of, and look great all the time. I never use the front pocket and I always leave the main compartment unzipped. I love how it puddles down when just sitting there....the smoosh factor gets me every time!! :love:

I have basic requirements for both look and functionality. I'd say if some basic requirements for functionality are met then I choose the bag based on looks/feel/material/brand. But I also hang on to bags that are very functional and not so stylish, I guess it depends on the purpose.
Evening bags: focus on looks
Everyday bags: a bit of both
Work bag, travel bag, gym bag: focus on functionality

If I'm on the go for work, away for the weekend or on a holiday I want a bag that's practical. Lugging around a bag is collateral damage and it's not my main focus or something that should bother me more than it already does. If I'm meeting friends, go to a museum, grab lunch ect, I match my bag to an outfit. I'll hold my phone in my hand if my glorified cardholder is overstuffed. I'm a very practical person when it comes to shoes and just as unpractical when it comes to bags.

I like a top handle, I like straps but I can easily work around those. The only thing I do do in form of practicality is the material. I will never buy smooth leather and always go for a grain. Just can't work with a bag that needs babying, no matter how gorgeous they are. I have long nails and bump into people and walls. I will heal, bags don't magically revive.

What's more important, functionality or the look/feel of a bag for you? I have certain things that are a must for me. Must be able to shoulder carry - preferably with the handles but if not, then with an optional shoulder strap. I have a strong preference for at least one outside pocket. Nice (feeling and looking) leather is a definite plus.
My new to me Matinee is great for functionality with all the pockets. I have no problem with the smaller opening. It fits great on shoulder. I think it's a bit large looks-wise but that's forgivable.
I have one Bal City that I love and was thinking of getting another. But really the Mattie is more functional. The City has just one outside pocket and it's not large enough to even hold my phone. Must be hand carried or use the optional shoulder strap.

So for now, I'm enjoying my Matinee. I think to find another one in a color I want would be a challenge and for now this one is enough. As far as the City, I just changed into it and gonna give it a try again to compare function-wise.

I know I've seen a few of you on the Bal subforum so any thoughts?

I prefer a bag with pockets, though it’s not a dealbreaker; I carry most of my stuff in pouches. I don’t do tiny bags... if it can’t carry my phone, I don’t buy it. I don’t wear my clutches very often, but when I do, it’s to a venue where I know I’ll have a clean, safe place near me to sit it down, like brunch or to a friend’s house. If I had to choose my most used bag styles, it would be a tie between totes and crossbodies. The look is important - I prefer a bit of pizazz like fun hardware - but function is still a must.

I prefer a bag with pockets, though it’s not a dealbreaker; I carry most of my stuff in pouches. I don’t do tiny bags... if it can’t carry my phone, I don’t buy it. I don’t wear my clutches very often, but when I do, it’s to a venue where I know I’ll have a clean, safe place near me to sit it down, like brunch or to a friend’s house. If I had to choose my most used bag styles, it would be a tie between totes and crossbodies. The look is important - I prefer a bit of pizazz like fun hardware - but function is still a must.
I don't do tiny bags ever, I think they are so impractical for me.