Class Action Lawsuit and Factory Creeds

Alasselina

Jan 1, 2017
Is coach no longer putting the "F" in the factory item creed numbers due to the lawsuit?

I've noticed that tags that say "MFSRP" have an F in the creed number, and those that say "comparable value" do not and look like a regular retail bag creed number. The bags look the same, the creeds numbers are the same - the only difference is the 2019 bags have an F, and the 2020 bags do not (76701 vs F76701, for example).

This would be a pretty big deal for resale on ebay, posh, etc.. There are a lot of people who prefer to avoid factory bags, and if they do away with the F, how will buyers know what kind of quality and workmanship to expect?

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Reactions: amateurjeweler
Is coach no longer putting the "F" in the factory item creed numbers due to the lawsuit?

I've noticed that tags that say "MFSRP" have an F in the creed number, and those that say "comparable value" do not and look like a regular retail bag creed number. The bags look the same, the creeds numbers are the same - the only difference is the 2019 bags have an F, and the 2020 bags do not (76701 vs F76701, for example).

This would be a pretty big deal for resale on ebay, posh, etc.. There are a lot of people who prefer to avoid factory bags, and if they do away with the F, how will buyers know what kind of quality and workmanship to expect?

Has anyone heard anything about this?
I was at the outlet yesterday and didn't pay too much attention to the mff bags, but there were a few scarfs that did not have the F on the tag that I swore were mff. If true, this explains that. This will be very confusing!

I wonder if they are still putting the dot on the made in label? That has always been a way to tell on mff items that didn't have a storypatch.

I was in the outlet last week and was surprised that someone did not jump me at the door with the extra off coupon, lol. I did mention this and the SA did say there wasn't one and changed the subject. I wasn't looking for an outlet bag so I did not look at any tags. They are still pretty hush hush about what they have coming in from the full price stores. Reading about the lawsuit that now makes sense. I think buyers will have to be aware of the different names of the bags since they are different in the outlet than they are at full price. Personally, I would like to see them do away with the outlet bags, and they may have to if their marketing strategy has to change because of the lawsuit. Or at least be more upfront about what bags are made for the outlet and which ones are full price transfers.

I was in the outlet last week and was surprised that someone did not jump me at the door with the extra off coupon, lol. I did mention this and the SA did say there wasn't one and changed the subject. I wasn't looking for an outlet bag so I did not look at any tags. They are still pretty hush hush about what they have coming in from the full price stores. Reading about the lawsuit that now makes sense. I think buyers will have to be aware of the different names of the bags since they are different in the outlet than they are at full price. Personally, I would like to see them do away with the outlet bags, and they may have to if their marketing strategy has to change because of the lawsuit. Or at least be more upfront about what bags are made for the outlet and which ones are full price transfers.

I agree. I'm pretty good with knowing which bag was which by name, but I get confused with some of the bags that seem like they have a 846,000 different versions - looking at you, prairie satchel - some factory, some retail.

That's what I thought was happening with the Jes tote that made me notice this. I thought some colors were factory, some retail, when in reality, it looks like they just pulled the rug out from under us with no warning whatsoever. And don't get me wrong, I know coach doesn't give a crap about resale issues, but it just strikes me as shady business practice, especially when their factory items are known for being inferior to retail ones.

I have not kept up with Coach as much lately anyway. When the outlets first came about there wasn't about much difference between an outlet bag and full price. They made the same styles such as be City bag, Willis, Duffle, etc., in glove tanned leather. I never had a problem then buying a bag from the outlet. Now, there is a big difference, and I only go in there to see what transfers they have or maybe buy small leather goods. Their outlets have been successful so I think most people who buy there do not care if they are getting what they think is a nice Coach bag for a good price. Resale will probably be the same. There is nothing wrong with that, but because Coach neglected to educate their customer on the difference, it may certainly put a dent in their sales when they are forced to do so.

What lawsuit are you referring to?

From the lawsuit website:
"The lawsuit alleges that the “MFSRP” statements on the tags of Merchandise offered at a discount from a “MFSRP” are misleading because they included the price of the Defendant’s retail goods, thereby creating the false impression that its outlet store Merchandise was once sold in COACH’s full-line retail stores and was of the same quality and workmanship as merchandise sold in COACH’s full-line retail stores.

The Defendant denies any and all wrongdoing of any kind whatsoever, and denies any liability to Plaintiffs and to the Settlement Class."

Yes I got an email about this lawsuit. I purchased a bag from the outlet online that has MFSRP 525.00 on the tag, and it was priced "50% off" on the website when I purchased it. But it does not have an F in the creed, and does not have an F in front of the style number on the price tag. I am confused if I qualify because (my belief is) I did not purchase a factory bag that was being touted as being discounted, I truly bought a retail item that was discounted (again, no F in the creed or the tag other than in the MFSRP print). Or perhaps I did buy a factory item that was not stamped with the F on the creed or the tag but the F in MFSRP is an indicator of a factory bag, and I was fooled. Hmmm. I can't tell by the language in the lawsuit if the bags in question are F style numbers with MFSRP, or non-F style numbers with MFSRP on the price tag (as opposed to MSRP) or both.

Hi all,
I rarely log into TPF any longer, but just came to post that TODAY (I'm assuming midnight)- January 21st is the last day to submit a claim form electronically for either the cash payment or voucher. I received the email about this a while back, and totally forgot about it, but for some reason I went back to check my email again for the deadline, and sure enough TODAY is the deadline.....

Now I'm off to find some old store receipts to submit as proof of purchase. I know I spent WAY more than $150 during the timeframe in question- Dec. 23, 2011 and Aug. 24, 2020, and I recently start looking at Coach again after being disappointed in the brand since Reed Krakoff left, but they are slowly luring me back with their "Originals" collection, so those vouchers will come in handy!

Reactions: americandreaming
Check your email. I received vouchers for Coach from the settlement.

ETA: the fine print says you can’t use all the vouchers at one time. That’s super annoying bc mine total $160 but come in increments of $20 & $10 and they can only be used in a brick and mortar outlet store.

Last edited: