Recommendation for leather jacket/coat from premiere designer

contributor

Mar 6, 2015
Hello! I'm looking to invest in a very high quality leather jacket but searching through designer's RTW online is very tedious. I've seen gorgeous ones from Burberry and Balenciaga in the past, but at time I couldn't afford one.

Can anyone recommend designers who do beautiful leather jackets? Thinking of lambskin or a very soft calfskin.

Thank you!

Rick owens for form fitting stretchy, soft leather. Burberry for leather trenches; Chanel for leather skirts and pants; brunello cuchinelli and Akris for various. . . Alaia used to do leather RTW pieces, I think. . . Dennis Basso, mendel, are furriers but may have leather too. I am not familiar with balenciaga RTW, but I have a feeling they may have some leather. Bally has some, and it’s priced well and under the radar.
note: if you are in the US, Akris tends to be massively reduced at sale time at Saks.com, Bergdorfs.com etc.

Last edited:
Rag and bone on sale is my top recommendation. I have 3 or 4 of them.

Iro and All Saints make soft ones too. They seem more popular than R&B too.

Rick owens for form fitting stretchy, soft leather. Burberry for leather trenches; Chanel for leather skirts and pants; brunello cuchinelli and Akris for various. . . Alaia used to do leather RTW pieces, I think. . . Dennis Basso, mendel, are furriers but may have leather too. I am not familiar with balenciaga RTW, but I have a feeling they may have some leather. Bally has some, and it’s priced well and under the radar.
note: if you are in the US, Akris tends to be massively reduced at sale time at Saks.com, Bergdorfs.com etc.
880 nailed it!

Ps. I have a Burberry leather trench which really rises above all others! Be forewarned though: lambskin coats/jackets are soft (delicate) and need tlc for longevity ..

• Love
Reactions: 880
Valentino, YSL, Gucci, Prada all do gorgeous leathers as does BV.. Hermes is premiere for leathers
Are you looking for black?
You can also check BV outlets & see what they might have as well as resale market if you are
interested in going in that direction...
There are also some very interesting Chanel leather jackets from previous collections that are
very good looking

Wow!! Thank you!

• Love
Thanks @baghagg!
ITA with @Love Of My Life re Valentino esp!
if you are interested in preloved, TRR has great deals on leather Jil Sander Coats. I bought a pristineback leather trench, basically unworn, luscious for under 200 usd a few years ago. I don’t think Jil sanderhas much hanger appeal. . . maybe that’s why no one seemed to want any there.

For an unstructured stretchy leather jacket, I like the Rick Owens classic, which comes in a soft lambskin. For a classic biker look, IMO you can't beat St. Laurent. Mine is calfskin but has gotten softer and softer as I wear it.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and contributor
Last year I bought a leather jacket. I wish that I bought an AllSaints. Not terribly expensive, but stylish and nice leather. My problem was I don’t live close to my favorite mall anymore and every time I was there not one store had one for me to try, I don’t like to just order then have to return. I ended up with a Jakett, I didn’t think I would like it, but I really do. Washable leather, don’t think I would. The only thing is it’s thin. I ended up liking that best about it. When cold I could wear a heavier coat over it, or thin hoodie under it. Plus I can keep it on inside. I guess what I’m saying is try a bunch, you never know what you might like!

• Love