Do I REALLY need it?

BowieFan1971

Cat mom, wife, mother of a US Navy corpsman
Jun 19, 2020
I have an Alma mono and love the look and the history and I have a Papillon 30 DE, which I love as well. Think I may love DE more than mono. Both are vintage.

My dilemma- I just saw an Alma DE at a great price and my heart is beating faster. It is soooo gorgeous. But while I love the Alma, because of the structure, I really would only use it in fall/winter/early spring because, to me, it is too formal for the looser summer clothes I wear. It looks even more formal in the DE in my eyes.

So, all that considered, do I get it? I don’t NEED it and it is not exactly cheap, but I WANT it and could easily resell it if I don’t use it. It would not bankrupt me to buy it, but I did not set money aside for it, nor was I especially looking for one. It is, however, available at a price I could not plan seeing it again anytime soon in the condition it is in. But is more than I have ever spent on a bag before by a good bit. Using my money, but the hubby would look twice.

Ultimately only you know your financial situation and whether or not the purchase will cause a rift with your husband. I pretty much buy bags immediately when I find them at great price and I feel that rush. Then later on the bag usually gets sold. :lol: But as long as the price is low enough that I can resell and make my money back, I go for it.

You already have an alma, perhaps you should look for a speedy or different shape bag?

Reactions: BowieFan1971
of course don’t do it if it will adversely affect your budget or relationships. Having said that,
I say, yes, if you truly love it and can see using it enough to justify the DH eye roll. I say no, if you really th8nk it will sit in your closet bc it’s too formal, until you end uo selling it.

having said all that, I prefer not to spend outside my comfort zone on bags as I tend to give ‘not quite right’ bags to family members rather than consign. . . I’ve had too many instances of consigning away something and then deciding a few years later that it was perfect and had to repurchase. . .

Ultimately only you know your financial situation and whether or not the purchase will cause a rift with your husband. I pretty much buy bags immediately when I find them at great price and I feel that rush. Then later on the bag usually gets sold. :lol: But as long as the price is low enough that I can resell and make my money back, I go for it.

You already have an alma, perhaps you should look for a speedy or different shape bag?
of course don’t do it if it will adversely affect your budget or relationships. Having said that,
I say, yes, if you truly love it and can see using it enough to justify the DH eye roll. I say no, if you really th8nk it will sit in your closet bc it’s too formal, until you end uo selling it.

having said all that, I prefer not to spend outside my comfort zone on bags as I tend to give ‘not quite right’ bags to family members rather than consign. . . I’ve had too many instances of consigning away something and then deciding a few years later that it was perfect and had to repurchase. . .
Some good thoughts...thank you. Though I am going to sit on it a wee bit to see if I still really want it/keep thinking about it, I think I thought of a good compromise.
I turn 50 in January....a big milestone that I wanted to do something special for, since birthdays were never a big thing in my family due to how close it is to Christmas (my sister’s is Dec 1). I could always buy it, clean it, wrap it and put it away until my birthday. That way I get the deal AND I get something special for my birthday that I really want. :smile:

If it sells in the meantime, I will save money until then and buy one for my birthday.

Last edited:
She arrived yesterday! I spent an hour cleaning and polishing, but it was worth it. I got her for $540...an offer I could not refuse.

After perusing the internet and seeing how great she looks with black, I know she is versatile enough to be a wonderful addition to my bags. :smile:

So happy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

She arrived yesterday! I spent an hour cleaning and polishing, but it was worth it. I got her for $540...an offer I could not refuse.

After perusing the internet and seeing how great she looks with black, I know she is versatile enough to be a wonderful addition to my bags. :smile:

So happy!

View attachment 4869638

View attachment 4869639
Beautiful bag! You will enjoy having her.

Reactions: BowieFan1971