Should I buy my first Cartier piece??

x_allegra_x

May 21, 2020
Hi Everyone!

So I would say for about 6 years now I have wanted to purchase a Cartier Love Ring (basic, I know, but it's so beautiful!)

I'm in my early 20's and have saved up around $20k so I feel like I am finally able to (safely) take the plunge and buy the ring.

The only issue is that I'm a very frugal person and I'm having a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on a ring.

I know I want the ring so much but I also don't want to feel guilty after buying it, do you think I should live a little and go for it or save up a bit more money just to be safe?

I feel as though with price increases you should just purchase it as soon as you possibly can, but I would love to hear your opinions/experiences! xx

Reactions: Namwan-
Find yourself a good reason to buy (e.g birthday, promotion, save up for the first 20k etc) instead of just buying it . So in the future when you are looking at the ring you would remember the good feeling associated to the ring for life and make it more meaningful rather than just a luxurious purchase.

That would definitely make me feel so much better about purchasing it, thank you for your input! :smile:

I did not "invest" in jewelry or branded items until I was much older and had the funds to do it. But I share your sentiment and although I think about every purchase carefully, I do look at some of my pieces sometimes and think I do not really need them.

But jewelry is a category that none of us really need. It is from a practical point of view utterly useless. It's a symbol or token or a cultural standard (wedding ring). You have clearly thought about this and you have found a piece that might justify the expense. But you have doubts. I say don't. I am pretty sure that you will not regret your ring and you will enjoy looking at your hand and get a little pang of happiness very time you see your ring. I think @oceanz22 suggestions are great. You can be very proud of yourself achieving this. Life is for living and you need to enjoy it sometimes with something material and purely luxurious and not worry about your retirement fund, school loans or downpayment.

Another thing I also always try to make sure in my pieces is that I can pass them on (I have daughters), that they have some real value (gold content) and it is a brand that keeps its value (Cartier is, so keep the papers and box).

Now go get that ring and please share some photos with us.

Reactions: x_allegra_x
Something I’ve done in the past when I was younger and in your position is to stop myself from buying other things and instead put that money towards the one more expensive item. So, stopping myself from getting $200 worth of clothing from H&M that I don’t need, and instead putting that towards the bigger item. I’ve found it prevented a lot of the guilt for me because it was my “fun money” that I was going to spend anyway.

Also if it makes you feel better, I would be more concerned if you didn’t feel a twinge of guilt when buying frivolous luxury items - I think most of us feel some degree of that, but if it’s something you’re going to wear every day for years to come, I think it’s a great purchase.

I started feeling guilty while reading this LOL I think if you have not been able to stop thinking about something since you were in your teens (since it’s been 6 years and your in your early 20s) you should get it. It doesn’t sound like you won’t stop thinking about it. You’ve saved up more than enough to cover 2x the cost (a rule I like but fail to live by haha).

Also, nothing about Cartier is basic darling! All depends on how you put pieces together. Make whatever decision will make you the happiest!
Maybe buy it at the end of the year? That’s what I plan on doing as a gift to myself for surviving 2020

I have been buying luxury for awhile and I still feel guilty afterwards. I think it’s because like you, I can be frugal. There is always a “better” use for the money spent on jewelry unless you already have more than you’ll ever need for the rest of your life and no kids to pass your wealth down to. For me, I'll think that I could have invested it, put it towards a down payment on another home, or be saving for college/lifetime expenses for a kid that I don't have yet. If you think about it too much, you'll never be able to enjoy yourself. As long as you don't have consumer debt, are hitting your financial goals, you should be just fine. Perhaps wait to make it a milestone purchase so the ring has some sentimental value to it.

I did not "invest" in jewelry or branded items until I was much older and had the funds to do it. But I share your sentiment and although I think about every purchase carefully, I do look at some of my pieces sometimes and think I do not really need them.

But jewelry is a category that none of us really need. It is from a practical point of view utterly useless. It's a symbol or token or a cultural standard (wedding ring). You have clearly thought about this and you have found a piece that might justify the expense. But you have doubts. I say don't. I am pretty sure that you will not regret your ring and you will enjoy looking at your hand and get a little pang of happiness very time you see your ring. I think @oceanz22 suggestions are great. You can be very proud of yourself achieving this. Life is for living and you need to enjoy it sometimes with something material and purely luxurious and not worry about your retirement fund, school loans or downpayment.

Another thing I also always try to make sure in my pieces is that I can pass them on (I have daughters), that they have some real value (gold content) and it is a brand that keeps its value (Cartier is, so keep the papers and box).

Now go get that ring and please share some photos with us.
Something I’ve done in the past when I was younger and in your position is to stop myself from buying other things and instead put that money towards the one more expensive item. So, stopping myself from getting $200 worth of clothing from H&M that I don’t need, and instead putting that towards the bigger item. I’ve found it prevented a lot of the guilt for me because it was my “fun money” that I was going to spend anyway.

Also if it makes you feel better, I would be more concerned if you didn’t feel a twinge of guilt when buying frivolous luxury items - I think most of us feel some degree of that, but if it’s something you’re going to wear every day for years to come, I think it’s a great purchase.
I started feeling guilty while reading this LOL I think if you have not been able to stop thinking about something since you were in your teens (since it’s been 6 years and your in your early 20s) you should get it. It doesn’t sound like you won’t stop thinking about it. You’ve saved up more than enough to cover 2x the cost (a rule I like but fail to live by haha).

Also, nothing about Cartier is basic darling! All depends on how you put pieces together. Make whatever decision will make you the happiest!
Maybe buy it at the end of the year? That’s what I plan on doing as a gift to myself for surviving 2020
Get the ring. Eat the cake. :lol:
I have been buying luxury for awhile and I still feel guilty afterwards. I think it’s because like you, I can be frugal. There is always a “better” use for the money spent on jewelry unless you already have more than you’ll ever need for the rest of your life and no kids to pass your wealth down to. For me, I'll think that I could have invested it, put it towards a down payment on another home, or be saving for college/lifetime expenses for a kid that I don't have yet. If you think about it too much, you'll never be able to enjoy yourself. As long as you don't have consumer debt, are hitting your financial goals, you should be just fine. Perhaps wait to make it a milestone purchase so the ring has some sentimental value to it.

Thank you all so much for sharing your thoughts, I enjoyed reading every single one of your posts! I think I am just so used to saving now my brain is automatically telling me 'no' haha :giggle: I think I have decided to purchase it for Christmas as a present to myself, which my goodness is coming up extremely fast! I will definitely post a picture! x