Max Mara Teddy COAT - IS IT STILL A THING?

Hi,

I always loved the look of the teddy coat. I'm okay with dupes - unless it doesn't look cheap. But my problem with them is that they don't look as good after a year of wearing it.

so I´m considering to buy the Max Mara Teddy coat (short version, cause I'm 5´5).
who owns one and if so how's wear and tear ? is it worth it?

and another question do you guys think that it could be a timeless piece by now? I mean it is out there since 2013 and people still wearing it.

I don't own this coat but I did happen to try it on the other day. It seemed like great quality and like it would hold up well. Whether or not it is here to stay for the ages I cannot say. If you're concerned about aesthetic longevity then maybe consider the Manuela wrap coat? I think that's their classic and it's gorgeous in person.

Reactions: CHICTILLTHEEND
Yeah the problem with fast fashion dupes (and also a lot of mid-range alternatives) is that they are made of 100% polyester and the real deal is made from high quality natural fibers. I think that's why they look and feel like trash after a few months. I don't own the coat so I can't help you with your quality question, but judging from the materials used it probably wears very differently. I personally don't spend any money anymore on polyester clothing, especially if it's just used to replace the more expensive but better quality natural fibers.
Stylewise it's of course no longer super trendy, but also not outdated IMO, if you really love it go for it.

I couldn't stomach the cost of the Max Mara teddy coat so I ended up getting a 100% wool teddy coat from The Curated (Review on maddyloves.com). Etsy also has 100% wool dupes of the Max Mara teddy coat that are less than $1000.

I personally would have a really hard time justifying the cost of the Max Mara teddy coat because even though it's been around for a few years, I'm just worried it is still a trendy item. I have another Max Mara coat that I gladly shelled out the premium for because it is a sleek camel coat, which seems more timeless.

I would stay away from synthetic alternatives though, those will wear super poorly and not hold up over time.

I personally think it’ll look dated, but if you don’t care about trends then it doesn’t matter. I can see the appeal of being wrapped in something so cozy. I just prefer it to be my plush bath robe. I live in a warm climate and don’t need a lot of outerwear, so if I’m investing in a classic coat, it’s going to be a high quality classic cut wool coat.

Can these coats get wet (rain/snow) or does that ruin the fibers?

Wool is a natural water repellent so it should be okay to wear in light drizzle or snow, but probably not doing a downpour where the entire coat will get drenched. There are a lot of toxins in rainwater (due to pollution) so if it gets completely drenched, the chemicals might be harmful to the fibres.

I think because it‘s made of camel fibers it wouldn‘t look bad after it gets wet.
Not all of the MM Teddy Coats, even if we're referring specifically to the classic Teddy style that is repeated every year, are made of camel, most of them are wool, but there are blends of camel, alpaca, and even cashmere, depending on the year / colour.

I couldn't stomach the cost of the Max Mara teddy coat so I ended up getting a 100% wool teddy coat from The Curated (Review on maddyloves.com). Etsy also has 100% wool dupes of the Max Mara teddy coat that are less than $1000.

I personally would have a really hard time justifying the cost of the Max Mara teddy coat because even though it's been around for a few years, I'm just worried it is still a trendy item. I have another Max Mara coat that I gladly shelled out the premium for because it is a sleek camel coat, which seems more timeless.

I would stay away from synthetic alternatives though, those will wear super poorly and not hold up over time.

Wow, thank you for the review, not only do I love the coat I was totally not aware of the brand and I'm in the market for a coat right now.

I see this Teddy style on coats from the 60s. But in black. So timeless.
Otherwise for camel colour I would stick to the wool classic emblem of Max Mara. That price is just so high and I´m starting to see a lot on resale on VC which means end of cycle. I had a Teddy jacket like this bought 8 years ago at the beginning of the trend, because it is a long lasting one....

Reactions: yutongwang