2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

Aww, thanks! My Mum taught me how to sew at a young age and encouraged me to learn all things I can do with my own hands.
Ever since I´ve been making all sorts of things. At times I used to sew my whole wardrobe from simple top to winter coat. Later my girls were decked out in homemade dresses.
At the moment I mainly only alter true vintage clothes I buy cheaply and make one or the other vintage style dress for myself using true vintage patterns and if I can true vintage fabrics.
If there´s anything I want that I can sew mysef I´ll do it...
I make 40ies and 50ies inspired hats using ugly discarded ols hats for material, too. It´s very medidative work.
Basic shoe repairs and bag spa-ing are also on my list. And of course the standard needlework stuff like crochet and knitting.

Still I always will long for "the real thing", something bought from a real shop that has a tag, a sales value and comes in nice wrapping...
When I gave the pouches to my children I felt the need to apologize that I wasn´t able to find something similar to buy and had to make them myself.
You are incredibly creative and talented @cowgirlsboots !

More related to an older post but related to jackets.

I dressed for the very exciting outing to the supermarket today and I thought of what you'd said about that Bal houndstooth (and the skirt I cannot get out of my mind).

Not particularly houndstooth, but for tweed in general, keep your eye on Boden for reasonable prices (window pane, houndstooth, herringbone etc). I know you are petit and they have pure wool tweed every year in both reg and petit.

Unfortualtly for both of us green and waisted was last year's colour and model.

This is the Atkins and the colours look curiously Spring like https://www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/atkins-british-tweed-blazer-pink-herringbone/sty-t0614-pnk

the weather turned today and so I was wearing teal-ish herringbone I was wearing today with a greens/blues/peach vintage Leonard Paris maxi and H Moderisme Tropical (Spanish-style, over hips). People literally parted when they saw me coming down the isle and moved out my way, so I either looked spectacular or frightening :lol: Unfortunately, I think may have been the latter but Im getting desperate for some dress-up occasions.

I bet your outfit was spectacular! I´d have loved to see it. People moving aside is something I´m familiar with when wearing vintage. Over here they usually do it to huddle together and gossip... (Epic moment: going grocery shopping wearing goat fur apres ski moon boots and a fur coat years ago.)

Aww, thanks! My Mum taught me how to sew at a young age and encouraged me to learn all things I can do with my own hands.
Ever since I´ve been making all sorts of things. At times I used to sew my whole wardrobe from simple top to winter coat. Later my girls were decked out in homemade dresses.
At the moment I mainly only alter true vintage clothes I buy cheaply and make one or the other vintage style dress for myself using true vintage patterns and if I can true vintage fabrics.
If there´s anything I want that I can sew mysef I´ll do it...
I make 40ies and 50ies inspired hats using ugly discarded ols hats for material, too. It´s very medidative work.
Basic shoe repairs and bag spa-ing are also on my list. And of course the standard needlework stuff like crochet and knitting.

Still I always will long for "the real thing", something bought from a real shop that has a tag, a sales value and comes in nice wrapping...
When I gave the pouches to my children I felt the need to apologize that I wasn´t able to find something similar to buy and had to make them myself.
I think the pouches you made are wonderful. If they were available in a store near me, I would buy them.
My mom taught me to sew too. It wasn't long before my sister and I surpassed her skill level. I remember a dress my mom made for me that never got finished. At one point I sewed all my own clothes too. When I was working, I made many of my own suits. You could buy Vogue patterns of designer items and make your own. I made my first bikini because back then there were none available for busty girls.

Fo

I used to sew clothes for my kids but I haven't sewn anything lately other than masks. I just don't feel motivated. I can't remember when it changed but it is no longer economical to sew your own clothes. Fabric and notions are so expensive that it is often cheaper to buy readymade as long as you aren't buying designer.

Now I don't do much craft work except for rehabbing purses.

For @essiedub … this is the Trifari brooch I was talking about. The crown was their emblem, though they also made other designs. This piece was, I believe, from the 1940s. I think the company stayed in business through the 1990s, but by then they had been acquired by another of the costume jewelry companies. And then eventually they went pfffft.

View attachment 4857141View attachment 4857142

It´s absolutely amazing!

Reactions: keodi and ElainePG
I think the pouches you made are wonderful. If they were available in a store near me, I would buy them.
My mom taught me to sew too. It wasn't long before my sister and I surpassed her skill level. I remember a dress my mom made for me that never got finished. At one point I sewed all my own clothes too. When I was working, I made many of my own suits. You could buy Vogue patterns of designer items and make your own. I made my first bikini because back then there were none available for busty girls.

Fo

I used to sew clothes for my kids but I haven't sewn anything lately other than masks. I just don't feel motivated. I can't remember when it changed but it is no longer economical to sew your own clothes. Fabric and notions are so expensive that it is often cheaper to buy readymade as long as you aren't buying designer.

Now I don't do much craft work except for rehabbing purses.

You are right! Sewing clothes is no longer economical. Everything has become so very expensive. That´s a reason for me, too, not to make any "normal clothes" anymore. Vintage dresses on the other hand can be acquired cheaply when they are in not the best condition and give me a nice chance to sew a bit. Most of my sewing supplies are vintage, too- bought cheaply off ebay from people who sold for a song what their mothers or grandmas had kept for ages.

I remember the Vogue patterns! When I was much younger and very new in my job the boss and older co-workers used to wonder did I have a sugar daddy as I was wearing something new all the time. It took them a while to figure out I made it all myself from the cheapest fabrics I could find.

For @essiedub … this is the Trifari brooch I was talking about. The crown was their emblem, though they also made other designs. This piece was, I believe, from the 1940s. I think the company stayed in business through the 1990s, but by then they had been acquired by another of the costume jewelry companies. And then eventually they went pfffft.

View attachment 4857141View attachment 4857142
I love pins. It is a great way to add a little personality to an outfit.

Yes, bring back brooches. I have worn and collected brooches, too - 1980s, early 2000s, time for a come back? Edited to add: I purchased this Chanel Ultimate Camellia Brooch from a consignment store.

View attachment 4857151

So pretty, I love the colourful opal and the details.

Elaine, that brooch is gorgeous
Your Chanel brooch is incredible. Amazing that you found it in a consignment shop.

I love that we're all pulling out our brooches… even if we don't have anywhere to go!!! :party:

OT, but a couple of months ago (and on the advice of my dentist's office manager, who is sanitizing EVERYTHING) I invested in a UV-C sanitizer. It sits just inside the front door. We just toss everything into it when we get home: glasses, wallets, phones, car keys…

In 10 minutes, everything is sanitized. And no need to wipe anything down. :clap:
I do this too!! And aside from the sanitizing bag, I also got a UVC disinfecting lamp meant for a room.