First Hermès purchase and the dreaded waitlist....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2007
I figured it would be close to double for resale, but the SA that I was "working" with at Hermes said she could get me one w/o having to buy anything else at the store. I specifically asked her about it b/c I had heard about this before from other people. Maybe she was just saying that b/c the store had just recently opened, so she didn't have a vast client base yet. But I just took her word for it and was just patiently waiting....

When the boutique first opened, I actually lived in the area, finishing grad school. I have since moved back home b/c I've graduated. So it's no longer convenient or practical for me to just drive over there and buy items to build a relationship to possibly, maybe get a bag:oh: Maybe resale won't be so bad though! And I can stumble across the precise color and hdw combo that makes my heart sing! I will DEF get it authenticated beforehand and use my cc that always protects me

Exploring the world of H is fascinating & so much to learn & discover.
Have fun on your journey & you may be pleasantly surprised as to what you may find.
Many of us have a "long history" with H & that does not always guarantee getting
the dream bag. It takes time & patience......

• Love
Reactions: PamW and Bambs
I figured it would be close to double for resale, but the SA that I was "working" with at Hermes said she could get me one w/o having to buy anything else at the store. I specifically asked her about it b/c I had heard about this before from other people. Maybe she was just saying that b/c the store had just recently opened, so she didn't have a vast client base yet. But I just took her word for it and was just patiently waiting....

When the boutique first opened, I actually lived in the area, finishing grad school. I have since moved back home b/c I've graduated. So it's no longer convenient or practical for me to just drive over there and buy items to build a relationship to possibly, maybe get a bag:oh: Maybe resale won't be so bad though! And I can stumble across the precise color and hdw combo that makes my heart sing! I will DEF get it authenticated beforehand and use my cc that always protects me

I am not too keen on the bags, but I do love the belts and scarves, maybe you find a key ring or something similar? Most of my H purchases were actually presents (there is always somebody having a bday, a wedding...), not saying you should start spending money on things you don't want, but it could be another angle. Yet another angle might be a friend who loves H and has a relationship already established and looks for you.... This way the SA would keep a customer happy and think about possibly gaining another customer?

Reactions: PamW and Bambs
I am not too keen on the bags, but I do love the belts and scarves, maybe you find a key ring or something similar? Most of my H purchases were actually presents (there is always somebody having a bday, a wedding...), not saying you should start spending money on things you don't want, but it could be another angle. Yet another angle might be a friend who loves H and has a relationship already established and looks for you.... This way the SA would keep a customer happy and think about possibly gaining another customer?

I'm not so sure that I would want to put a friend in that position..
At the end of the day ,better to establish your own relationship & play it straight
SA's have a lot of familiarity with this approach & more or less know many of the angles, JMO
H is chock full of fun things to learn about & see but one has to want to go that route
OP's focus seems to be a bag..

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 880 and Bambs
I'm not so sure that I would want to put a friend in that position..
At the end of the day ,better to establish your own relationship..
SA's have a lot of familiarity with this approach & more or less know many of the angles, JMO

Actually it is not putting a friend into much of a position if you truly want the bag and don't just want it and then return, from my impression the OP is truly in love with the Kelly and if somebody with an existing relationship puts in the request for a friend, it is upfront. As I said, we tend to buy Xmas presents for business friends and such through them, for H possibly small fry, the odd scarf, keyring, belt, they always take the time to discuss purchases and ask if there is anything they can do to help, their customer service is great, I am just not a fan of the bags (personal thing, don't work for me and a bag needs to be "you"), if you are upfront and the SA does a fave for an existing client, I can't see a problem

Reactions: Bambs
Actually it is not putting a friend into much of a position if you truly want the bag and don't just want it and then return, from my impression the OP is truly in love with the Kelly and if somebody with an existing relationship puts in the request for a friend, it is upfront. As I said, we tend to buy Xmas presents for business friends and such through them, for H possibly small fry, the odd scarf, keyring, belt, they always take the time to discuss purchases and ask if there is anything they can do to help, their customer service is great, I am just not a fan of the bags (personal thing, don't work for me and a bag needs to be "you"), if you are upfront and the SA does a fave for an existing client, I can't see a problem

I think the problem is that there is a quota on how many Kellys/Birkins one can purchase in a year. There may be exceptions for VVVIPs but generally speaking, it's 2 per year for a person. So unless the friend is someone who happens to NOT want Birkins or Kellys, you are asking a lot of the friend to spend their quota on another person instead of on themselves...which I'm sure there are some who may be like that, but I think is very, very rare. Most people who are shopping H are after the bags themselves :smile:

I think the problem is that there are quota on how many Kellys/Birkins can purchase in a year. There may be exceptions for VVVIPs but generally speaking, it's 2 per year for a person. So unless the friend is someone who happens to NOT want Birkins or Kellys, you are asking a lot of the friend to spend their quota on another person instead of on themselves...which there *are*, but tends to be very, very rare.
It's honestly a moot point, b/c I don't even have a friend that has an established relationship with a H SA anyways. The boutiques are in S FL, then the one that opened recently in central FL. I have a few GF's with Birkins, but they were lucky to get them on a whim in Europe or bought pre-loved. Where I live, I haven't even really seen many strangers on the street carrying H bags. There are a few women I see carrying when we go out to social events, but it's few and far between and nothing like I've seen on the streets in NYC, for example.

We can agree to disagree here.
H prefers a client to have a" spending history" with the brand & there are many who wait a long time
for the bag of their dreams...
There are very rare occasions when a bag may be offered, but that is the luck of the draw.
It is not a situation I would be comfortable in nor would I encourage... JMHO..
I think OP will have fun exploring the reseller market for her bag....

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Zeremine
I think the problem is that there is a quota on how many Kellys/Birkins one can purchase in a year. There may be exceptions for VVVIPs but generally speaking, it's 2 per year for a person. So unless the friend is someone who happens to NOT want Birkins or Kellys, you are asking a lot of the friend to spend their quota on another person instead of on themselves...which I'm sure there are some who may be like that, but I think is very, very rare. Most people who are shopping H are after the bags themselves :smile:

En pointe:biggrin:

• Love
Reactions: 880 and momoc

Look, not everybody who likes H wants to purchase Kellys or Birkins, as I said, personally I find them awful and when dog ate it, I cried due to resale value but not because I liked the bag, H has a lot to offer, the bags mehhhh.

I doubt I am the only one who doesn't want to have Birkin or Kelly, or even 2 of them per year

I think I'll try reaching out to the SA again later this week... Last time we spoke was early August and she seemed optimistic that she could still snag one for me... but I'm not going to get my hopes up and relying on the "WL" anymore :lol:

I just recently had a big bday and got way too many presents to be asking for a Kelly at the moment anyways. So, I have to wait until the holidays regardless..... But you're right @Love Of My Life , I think I will have a fun time exploring the pre-loved market and maybe I'll get lucky!;)

Look, not everybody who likes H wants to purchase Kellys or Birkins, as I said, personally I find them awful and when dog ate it, I cried due to resale value but not because I liked the bag, H has a lot to offer, the bags mehhhh.

I doubt I am the only one who doesn't want to have Birkin or Kelly, or even 2 of them per year

I literally said that as the last part of the comment, but OK.

I think I'll try reaching out to the SA again later this week... Last time we spoke was early August and she seemed optimistic that she could still snag one for me... but I'm not going to get my hopes up and relying on the "WL" anymore :lol:

I just recently had a big bday and got way too many presents to be asking for a Kelly at the moment anyways. So, I have to wait until the holidays regardless..... But you're right @Love Of My Life , I think I will have a fun time exploring the pre-loved market and maybe I'll get lucky!;)

We've definitely been hearing some reports that in some places it's currently "easier" to get bag offer due to the COVID situation (lack of tourists in the more touristy area stores for example has certainly affected sales). I also have the feeling that there tends to be more bags towards end of the year / holidays season at the stores although no idea how it will be like this year! Good luck to you in any case and if you do get something we would love to see you share it then :heart:

• Love
Reactions: Bambs
It's honestly a moot point, b/c I don't even have a friend that has an established relationship with a H SA anyways. The boutiques are in S FL, then the one that opened recently in central FL. I have a few GF's with Birkins, but they were lucky to get them on a whim in Europe or bought pre-loved. Where I live, I haven't even really seen many strangers on the street carrying H bags. There are a few women I see carrying when we go out to social events, but it's few and far between and nothing like I've seen on the streets in NYC, for example.

NYC is c

[/QUOTE. Since you Gabs007 are not a fan of the Kelly or Birkin but OP is, I'd like to encourage
her to play it straight.. JMO & we can all agree to disagree here
OP will reach out to her SA & she might get lucky
OP sounds like she will look on the pre-loved market & wish her well to find her dream bag whenever the
time is right

I literally said that as the last part of the comment, but OK.

You believe that almost everybody who shops at H is after the statement bags, truly not, maybe it is different in Europe, but here the 2 main bags are known as the "pay off" or "guilt" bags, pay off for the bit on the side, guilt bag for the wife, doesn't carry the same cache, in some circles they even have a rude name, due to the reason why they are often bought. For me apart from not liking them, it would be a bit like wearing a sign "hubby needed to shut you up with bag for an indiscretion" as that is usually the reason why they are given around here (or as a kiss off to the mistress), even if they would work for me and my needs, it is that association that would turn me off. It is possible to love their scarves, belts, shoes, not to mention the horsey things they have and be left stone cold by the B and K. I am not saying there is anything wrong with liking their bags, we all have different tastes, but they are quite heavy and cumbersome, give me a soft squishy Fendi etc any day. I can still love the scarves, belts and shoes without going gaga over the bags

Reactions: iseebearbears
Status
Not open for further replies.