Tech Apple iPad Air 4 (2020) and Apple iPad 5 ( 2022)

I am in need of a new iPad and now I'm debating between the iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Pro 11, and iPad Air. My MacBook Air works, but has definitely slowed down so this will be something of a laptop replacement. I use my iPad Mini all of the time, but it's also gotten old and isn't quite big enough. I would like something that can fit in a medium/large handbag without issue. I'll be getting the MagicKeyboard to go with it.

I'd love thoughts on the various models. I know the new iPad Air comes with the newer 14A processing chip, but a maximum of 256gb memory. I would probably go with a Pro with 500gb or a Terabyte of memory, but I wonder if the 14A processor is that much faster than the 12Z.

Reactions: uhpharm01
I am in need of a new iPad and now I'm debating between the iPad Pro 12.9, iPad Pro 11, and iPad Air. My MacBook Air works, but has definitely slowed down so this will be something of a laptop replacement. I use my iPad Mini all of the time, but it's also gotten old and isn't quite big enough. I would like something that can fit in a medium/large handbag without issue. I'll be getting the MagicKeyboard to go with it.

I'd love thoughts on the various models. I know the new iPad Air comes with the newer 14A processing chip, but a maximum of 256gb memory. I would probably go with a Pro with 500gb or a Terabyte of memory, but I wonder if the 14A processor is that much faster than the 12Z.
I agree that getting the iPad Pro 11 will probably work best for you. I just found out that the iPad Air still just arriving stores or is about to arrive at stores. I heard that Apple doesn't want to release the iPad Air until the iPhone 12 comes out with the 14A processors.
I heard that the iPad Pro may get updated sometime in 2021 ( that's the rumor) and the iPad Pro (2021) will come with the 14A processors.

I agree that getting the iPad Pro 11 will probably work best for you. I just found out that the iPad Air still just arriving stores or is about to arrive at stores. I heard that Apple doesn't want to release the iPad Air until the iPhone 12 comes out with the 14A processors.
I heard that the iPad Pro may get updated sometime in 2021 ( that's the rumor) and the iPad Pro (2021) will come with the 14A processors.

I ended up getting the iPad Pro 11 with magic keyboard. It's great! I just couldn't wait until next year for the 2021. My laptop battery was nonexistant. I replaced the battery earlier in the year, but it still wouldn't last over 30 minutes.

I ended up getting the iPad Pro 11 with magic keyboard. It's great! I just couldn't wait until next year for the 2021. My laptop battery was nonexistant. I replaced the battery earlier in the year, but it still wouldn't last over 30 minutes.
that's good that you went with the iPad Pro 11 and I'm glad that you are happy with your purchase. I can understand why you couldn't wait due to the bad battery life.

I know it’s not the same, but I bought the 7th Generation iPad, 10.2” screen, 128GB last year. Worst iPad I’ve ever owned. I’ve had issues with the one of the volume buttons sticking. The edges between the screen and the casing aren’t sealed like the older iPads so you get tiny particles stuck in the seam (probably the wrong word, but I’m not sure what else to call it.) The screen goes black for no reason. I dropped it on the floor and broke the screen. Now this is obviously my fault, but I dropped my older iPads a number of times and never broke the screen. I never purchased the extended warranty, as all the iPads I’ve owned in the past were brilliant, I would’ve done if I’d known this screen wasn’t as durable. The battery runs out within 4 hours of full charge. The camera is dreadful.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I just wanted to let people know the issues I’ve had with this particular type of iPad. Not too sure how much the iPad Air 4 is in my country, but it’s definitely something I’ll look into.

• Sad
I know it’s not the same, but I bought the 7th Generation iPad, 10.2” screen, 128GB last year. Worst iPad I’ve ever owned. I’ve had issues with the one of the volume buttons sticking. The edges between the screen and the casing aren’t sealed like the older iPads so you get tiny particles stuck in the seam (probably the wrong word, but I’m not sure what else to call it.) The screen goes black for no reason. I dropped it on the floor and broke the screen. Now this is obviously my fault, but I dropped my older iPads a number of times and never broke the screen. I never purchased the extended warranty, as all the iPads I’ve owned in the past were brilliant, I would’ve done if I’d known this screen wasn’t as durable. The battery runs out within 4 hours of full charge. The camera is dreadful.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I just wanted to let people know the issues I’ve had with this particular type of iPad. Not too sure how much the iPad Air 4 is in my country, but it’s definitely something I’ll look into.
It's okay, You didn't hijack this thread. If you are having problems with your iPad, you have every right to be upset about it. I think that iPad Air 4 would be a better quality ipad and should have less problems, IMO. The iPad Air 4 are out today.

Reactions: Hurrem1001
It's okay, You didn't hijack this thread. If you are having problems with your iPad, you have every right to be upset about it. I think that iPad Air 4 would be a better quality ipad and should have less problems, IMO. The iPad Air 4 are out today.
Thanks for being so understanding. I really would like to get a new one, I’ve seen really positive reviews about the iPad Air 4 - but then I did about my current iPad as well. I really need to think about it.

Thanks for being so understanding. I really would like to get a new one, I’ve seen really positive reviews about the iPad Air 4 - but then I did about my current iPad as well. I really need to think about it.
You're welcome. What about getting the iPad Pro in the smaller size, maybe they will be a better quality in the iPad Air. But it doesn't sound like you are interested in the iPad pro. Maybe they are cutting corners on making the iPad Airs now. I still have the iPad Air 1 and it still works.

You're welcome. What about getting the iPad Pro in the smaller size, maybe they will be a better quality in the iPad Air. But it doesn't sound like you are interested in the iPad pro. Maybe they are cutting corners on making the iPad Airs now. I still have the iPad Air 1 and it still works.

Thanks yet again! I appreciate your advice, it’s kind of you to take the time to offer it. I’ll definitely look into the smaller Pro.

Thanks yet again! I appreciate your advice, it’s kind of you to take the time to offer it. I’ll definitely look into the smaller Pro.
You're welcome. FYI the demand has been high for iPad Pro lately. I just saw this article today and it's from July 2020 and it talks about the long wait time for getting one depending on the configuration of the one that you want to buy. Apple is having trouble with keeping up with the high demand for them. Hopefully you will find something to your liking without much of a wait time.