Help me decide on a bag! + first-time buyer questions

freshringo

Sep 13, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm planning to buy my first Dior bag. I've been eyeing both of these saddle bags, but since it's my first time buying a designer bag, I wanted to ask some questions.

DIOR AND SHAWN Signature Saddle Bag
DIOR AND DANIEL ARSHAM Print Saddle Bag

- These both seem like they're relatively new bags, so I haven't found many on pre-loved sites. Should I wait and try to get them pre-owned later? Or since they're collaboration bags, would it be better to get it now in case there aren't many copies available in the future?
- Will these be durable enough for every day use? I think grained calfskin should be pretty tough, but I'm also worried about the flap getting damage from being opened/closed a lot.
- How difficult will the white to keep clean and stain free?
- It seems like the buckle would be susceptible to scratching over time. Are there tips to prevent this besides just being careful?
- Which bag would you recommend? :smile: I am having a hard time deciding which one I like best.

Thank you for the help. Have a good day :smile:

Hi everyone, I'm planning to buy my first Dior bag. I've been eyeing both of these saddle bags, but since it's my first time buying a designer bag, I wanted to ask some questions.

DIOR AND SHAWN Signature Saddle Bag
DIOR AND DANIEL ARSHAM Print Saddle Bag

- These both seem like they're relatively new bags, so I haven't found many on pre-loved sites. Should I wait and try to get them pre-owned later? Or since they're collaboration bags, would it be better to get it now in case there aren't many copies available in the future?
- Will these be durable enough for every day use? I think grained calfskin should be pretty tough, but I'm also worried about the flap getting damage from being opened/closed a lot.
- How difficult will the white to keep clean and stain free?
- It seems like the buckle would be susceptible to scratching over time. Are there tips to prevent this besides just being careful?
- Which bag would you recommend? :smile: I am having a hard time deciding which one I like best.

Thank you for the help. Have a good day :smile:
1) I suggest getting them from the boutiques to ensure that they are authentic, and to get the after sales service. If you really like the design, then I suggest getting either of them in case they sell out and become hard to find at the boutiques.

2) The grained calfskin is very durable. I haven't had any problems with the flap getting damaged from opening and closing. And I own two of the men's Saddles.

3) The white has a lot of print on it, so I don't think that dirt and stains will show as easily. Because the newsprint already has a "distressed" look, I think any wear and stains will just blend into the design. If you want a white bag, then the design of the Arsham newsprint Saddle will make any wear look like it is part of the design.

4) The buckle shows scratches more easily in black. As long as you avoid wearing a necklace that can abrade the buckle, then I think it will wear very well. Mine looks brand new on both of my Saddles, and one is silver while the other is black.

5) I recommend the Daniel Arsham newsprint one. It revisits the controversial newsprint design on the Saddle that Galliano introduced 2 decades ago. The Stussy one looks like they just slapped a logo on the Saddle. The Arsham one, on the other hand, brings back the Galliano days but is so modern and futuristic at the same time.

• Love
Reactions: LovingLV81 and 880
1) I suggest getting them from the boutiques to ensure that they are authentic, and to get the after sales service. If you really like the design, then I suggest getting either of them in case they sell out and become hard to find at the boutiques.

Thank you, your answers were really helpful for me! I appreciate you taking the time to write up such detailed responses! I agree with your reasoning for the Daniel Arsham one :smile:

Is there a difference between buying in a boutique vs buying from Dior online?

Reactions: averagejoe
Thank you, your answers were really helpful for me! I appreciate you taking the time to write up such detailed responses! I agree with your reasoning for the Daniel Arsham one :smile:

Is there a difference between buying in a boutique vs buying from Dior online?
I guess you get to see the Dior universe in person at the boutique, whereas you just receive the item from online. I prefer the boutique purchase.

Out of the two, I'd pick the Daniel Arsham one. It's so lovely. Also second going to the boutique, especially since it's your first bag. It's much easier to see which you like better (or if there's another bag that you didn't consider) when you can put it on, put things in it, try it out, etc.