Vintage Coach Photos & Chat

Hello Everyone!
I am cleaning and polishing my Patricias most likely for gifts and I noticed something with the straps. My United States made strap has the rivets in different places as the Costa Rica and Dominican Republic straps. All three are the same length, being about 49". The D.R. strap is above the U.S.A. strap. I was too lazy to pull out the Costa Rica bag but if need be I can. Any thoughts?
View attachment 4849176

Several possibilities:

While Coach's standard templates showed all the plants how to cut identical pieces of leather, I doubt if they showed exactly where to punch the strap holes
and/or
there were no set measurements at all and once the first strap was punched according to where the leather worker thought it should be, all the rest followed suit.
or
Someone at one end or the other didn't convert inches to centimeters correctly and missed by 2 or 3 cm.
or
the average plant employee in the DR or Costa Rica was a bit shorter than the typical US employee and punched the straps to fit their body type and height
or
??????

Take your pick. ;)

And remember The Mantra! "The most consistent thing about Coach is their inconsistency".

Several possibilities:

While Coach's standard templates showed all the plants how to cut identical pieces of leather, I doubt if they showed exactly where to punch the strap holes
and/or
there were no set measurements at all and once the first strap was punched according to where the leather worker thought it should be, all the rest followed suit.
or
Someone at one end or the other didn't convert inches to centimeters correctly and missed by 2 or 3 cm.
or
the average plant employee in the DR or Costa Rica was a bit shorter than the typical US employee and punched the straps to fit their body type and height
or
??????

Take your pick. ;)
Thank you Hyacinth! Oh! inches to centimeters..didn't that happen to NASA at one time? Good to know!

I’m hoping to get some feedback on a ranch bag I just purchased from Etsy - I paid a little more than I normally would because of the color and it was already rehabbed. It arrived today and there is a little tear on the leather buckle attachment. I’m not sure if it’s structural and if I should worry about it. In terms of disclosure, the seller said no rips or tears but included a picture of the side, though this was not obvious. How would you handle it? Live with it? Dispute it? I don’t expect vintage bags to be perfect and I can live with aesthetic problems, but not structural.

Picture from the sellers listing:

907546FA-1821-4325-AD01-92E106988DCB.png

This is one I took when it arrived:
BFD0FDB9-0F13-475E-B8C4-922F25D7B628.jpeg

Sellers description:

81D01187-F556-4287-AC9E-C3AB3395E995.jpeg

I’m hoping to get some feedback on a ranch bag I just purchased from Etsy - I paid a little more than I normally would because of the color and it was already rehabbed. It arrived today and there is a little tear on the leather buckle attachment. I’m not sure if it’s structural and if I should worry about it. In terms of disclosure, the seller said no rips or tears but included a picture of the side, though this was not obvious. How would you handle it? Live with it? Dispute it? I don’t expect vintage bags to be perfect and I can live with aesthetic problems, but not structural.

View attachment 4849658

View attachment 4849659

Sellers description:

View attachment 4849663

Hm, If the bag was rehabbed, that tear you show in the picture is pretty hard to miss during the rehab process & would be something Id disclose in the listing. If it’s bothering you & there are doubts in your mind, I would return it because its not as described. If you still want to keep it, contact the seller and show him/her the tear, see if you can get a partial refund (is that even possible on Etsy?). It doesn’t look too bad, but my only concern would be it spreading overtime with use!

View attachment 4849658

View attachment 4849659

Sellers description:

View attachment 4849663
That leather loop is where the weight of the bag hangs on the brass hardware- I would think that without repair it will continue to tear.

View attachment 4849658

View attachment 4849659

Sellers description:

View attachment 4849663
Bummer. Is it beginning to tear on the other side as well? In your pic, it looks like the right side could be splitting.

View attachment 4849658

View attachment 4849659

Sellers description:

View attachment 4849663
I would open a return, not as described.