Bobby vs. Saddle?

ATLbagaddict

Aug 21, 2019
Hello all, I'm a newbie/potential first time buyer to Dior, and have been researching the saddle bag for the last couple weeks, getting more and more intrigued. However, while I initially wasn't drawn to the Bobby, that style has also been growing on me as well. I just saw that both bags were released in a denim blue color that I think is to die for, and the exact shade I would want:

but I'm torn between the two styles! Does anyone have either and can comment? What they hold/wear and tear, etc.? I would be looking at the medium size in both. Looking for a more casual/everyday type bag, as I think my current collection trends more on the fancier/day-to-evening type bags. Would appreciate any input! Thanks so much!

I have neither of them, but in my eyes the Bobby has a more casual feel, if that is what you are looking for, and it looks roomier too. It might also have more longivety given it's a more "neutral" shape, at least that's how I would reason if I were you, from what I can tell from your post. I am not sure which one I would choose personally though, probably the saddle, even though I didn't really care for it first (until I tried it on). It's a really special bag, but maybe it would not fill the same purpose in your collection as the Bobby?

Either would be a beautiful day to day bag though! The blue color is really cute! Good luck deciding!

Last edited:
Reactions: ATLbagaddict
I have neither of them, but in my eyes the Bobby has a more casual feel, if that is what you are looking for, and it looks roomier too. It might also have more longivety given it's a more "neutral" shape, at least that's how I would reason if I were you, from what I can tell from your post. I am not sure which one I would choose personally though, probably the saddle, even though I didn't really care for it first (until I tried it on). It's a really special bag, but maybe it would not fill the same purpose in your collection as the Bobby?

Either would be a beautiful day to day bag though! The blue color is really cute! Good luck deciding!

That was my thinking too, I’m tending to lean more towards the Bobby atm. Thanks so much for your thoughts on it!

I have a Saddle and hardly use it. For Saddle I think you will want a bag strap too, so that's an additional cost. I like the bag a lot but it's not really a "go to" for my everyday.

IMO Bobby is a lot better for a first bag and is a lot easier to use/casual. I find the back pocket is roomier on the Bobby than Saddle. The bag strap can also be shortened for a more "elegant"/evening look. Maybe get a Saddle for your second bag. :P

I have a Saddle and hardly use it. For Saddle I think you will want a bag strap too, so that's an additional cost. I like the bag a lot but it's not really a "go to" for my everyday.

IMO Bobby is a lot better for a first bag and is a lot easier to use/casual. I find the back pocket is roomier on the Bobby than Saddle. The bag strap can also be shortened for a more "elegant"/evening look. Maybe get a Saddle for your second bag. :P
Thanks so much, I really appreciate your info! Unfortunately I'm not living near a boutique so I can't just try on either to rule it out or truly fall in love while I research...but I think I'm tending to agree with you! Bobby would be a better first bag - and good to know about the back pocket on it!

Reactions: nessk
I was also choosing between Saddle and Bobby:smile: And ended up with Bobby! The reason for not going for Saddle: 1) while I quite like the shape, I'm not sure it goes well with my style somehow (I mostly wear minimalist/ business casual kind of style - jeans, blazers, midi skirts, palazzo pants etc). 2) I find Saddle too heavy for its size, I think it's because of those large CD letters which are actually quite heavy and thick. 3) Medium Saddle and Medium Bobby are probably about the same size, but because of Saddle's shape it fits less. For example, my kindle fits in Bobby but not in Saddle (and I can't be without my Kindle haha).

I fell in love with Bobby's look, I think it's quite minimalist, "CD" letters are small, and overall there's not much of hardware, the shape of it is classic (even though the bag is brand new, I am not worried it will go out of style), it is lightweight. One word of caution re Bobby: it's made of Box leather (the Saddle you're considering is goatskin). Box calf is very luxurious, shiny, and is often used by Hermes. It is however prone to scratches which will eventually develop into a patina - so if you are someone who is paranoid about the scratches, I'd say think twice before purchasing anything in box leather.

I was also choosing between Saddle and Bobby:smile: And ended up with Bobby! The reason for not going for Saddle: 1) while I quite like the shape, I'm not sure it goes well with my style somehow (I mostly wear minimalist/ business casual kind of style - jeans, blazers, midi skirts, palazzo pants etc). 2) I find Saddle too heavy for its size, I think it's because of those large CD letters which are actually quite heavy and thick. 3) Medium Saddle and Medium Bobby are probably about the same size, but because of Saddle's shape it fits less. For example, my kindle fits in Bobby but not in Saddle (and I can't be without my Kindle haha).

I fell in love with Bobby's look, I think it's quite minimalist, "CD" letters are small, and overall there's not much of hardware, the shape of it is classic (even though the bag is brand new, I am not worried it will go out of style), it is lightweight. One word of caution re Bobby: it's made of Box leather (the Saddle you're considering is goatskin). Box calf is very luxurious, shiny, and is often used by Hermes. It is however prone to scratches which will eventually develop into a patina - so if you are someone who is paranoid about the scratches, I'd say think twice before purchasing anything in box leather.
Wow thanks so much, that’s SUPER helpful !! It sounds like our style is very similar, and I also bring my kindle with me everywhere so that’s really good to know!! I think you’ve solidified the Bobby for me!! Good point about the scratches, thanks for bringing that up - I don’t have anything in this type of box leather so that’s definitely a consideration. How long have you had yours now and how’s it holding up for you / do you still love it? Thanks again!!

Wow thanks so much, that’s SUPER helpful !! It sounds like our style is very similar, and I also bring my kindle with me everywhere so that’s really good to know!! I think you’ve solidified the Bobby for me!! Good point about the scratches, thanks for bringing that up - I don’t have anything in this type of box leather so that’s definitely a consideration. How long have you had yours now and how’s it holding up for you / do you still love it? Thanks again!!
Glad I could help!! Actually come think of it, my kindle is Oasis, so a slightly larger model. Maybe Saddle can fit a smaller model - but not sure, again because of a peculiar shape.
I’ve only had Bobby for about a week, but took it out almost every day and no issues so far, but I guess it’s too soon to tell. I love it a lot so far, it just looks so neat!! Not too dressy, but still sleek. To be honest I used to be more fussy about the scratches etc - now I feel like there are more important things in life to worry about, so I just made my peace with the fact that it might get a bit scratched. You can go to any second hand reseller website (For example Vestiare Collective) and search for a used Celine box / Hermes Kelly box / dior 30 Montaigne in box to see how a used one looks - some of them are quite scratched. Though to be fair, leathers may differ by brand + some people are less careful and some are more, but I guess ballpark it will give you an indication:smile:

Glad I could help!! Actually come think of it, my kindle is Oasis, so a slightly larger model. Maybe Saddle can fit a smaller model - but not sure, again because of a peculiar shape.
I’ve only had Bobby for about a week, but took it out almost every day and no issues so far, but I guess it’s too soon to tell. I love it a lot so far, it just looks so neat!! Not too dressy, but still sleek. To be honest I used to be more fussy about the scratches etc - now I feel like there are more important things in life to worry about, so I just made my peace with the fact that it might get a bit scratched. You can go to any second hand reseller website (For example Vestiare Collective) and search for a used Celine box / Hermes Kelly box / dior 30 Montaigne in box to see how a used one looks - some of them are quite scratched. Though to be fair, leathers may differ by brand + some people are less careful and some are more, but I guess ballpark it will give you an indication:smile:
Thanks again! Sorry to keep pestering you with questions, but what color did you end up getting? I adore the blue but man does the white also sing to me - but I’m also terrified of an expensive white bag in that type of leather . I agree with you though, it is such a sleek and classy bag though!!

Thanks again! Sorry to keep pestering you with questions, but what color did you end up getting? I adore the blue but man does the white also sing to me - but I’m also terrified of an expensive white bag in that type of leather . I agree with you though, it is such a sleek and classy bag though!!
No worries at all!! I got a black one, was debating between blue and black. Looked at white too which is gorgeous, I agree. But don’t think I’d take white in this type of leather, I’d say white warrants something sturdier! Between blue and black - I think both will wear well, I took the black one because I don’t have an “all-rounder” black bag actually (I feel this one can be worn both daily and in the evening if you shorten the strap). Blue looks amazing - such a nice shade of blue, almost with a bit of lilac tones in it (unless I’m imagining haha)

No worries at all!! I got a black one, was debating between blue and black. Looked at white too which is gorgeous, I agree. But don’t think I’d take white in this type of leather, I’d say white warrants something sturdier! Between blue and black - I think both will wear well, I took the black one because I don’t have an “all-rounder” black bag actually (I feel this one can be worn both daily and in the evening if you shorten the strap). Blue looks amazing - such a nice shade of blue, almost with a bit of lilac tones in it (unless I’m imagining haha)
Awesome - I love to hear your thoughts on the blue! I do love the black as well, but definitely already have the all rounder black bag. I agree with you on the white - it’s so gorgeous, but probably too delicate a leather for that color, id be scared all the time haha. Thanks so much again, enjoy your beautiful new Bobby!!

Awesome - I love to hear your thoughts on the blue! I do love the black as well, but definitely already have the all rounder black bag. I agree with you on the white - it’s so gorgeous, but probably too delicate a leather for that color, id be scared all the time haha. Thanks so much again, enjoy your beautiful new Bobby!!

let us know once you take the plunge:smile:

Jumping in to say that goatskin is my favorite bag leather ever. It does not scratch, it's so light, and it's water-resistant. I have a goat Balenciaga that looks brand new after five years. So I would get the saddle just to have this leather

I like the look of the Saddle more, you can easily dress it up or down. However, I don’t recommend it for an everyday bag because the opening is very annoying and you can’t fit much. I am very minimal in terms of what I carry with me, but even a sunglasses case, a card holder and my keys are too much..