Where to buy jewelry basics?

Hi! I’m pretty new to jewelry and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Where would be the best places to go for (1) everyday gold hoops, (2) a plain gold chain for wearing a child sized ring I inherited, and (3) resetting an inherited bracelet I’ll never wear? Neither inherited piece is expensive if that matters, the ring in particular just has huge sentimental value so I’d like to wear it as a pendant.

I’m thinking an independent jeweler? But how do I find a reputable one? Or would I be better off using Blue Nile or some such for the hoops and chain since I’m looking for something so straightforward?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!

I forgot about Costco. That’s also a good place to look. I think you’d be fine picking up a chain and hoops there or at Blue Nile. I’m more familar with BN And have purchased a lot there over the years. The quality is good to fantastic, depending on the item. I have a gold wheat chain from BN that is really sturdy with a good lobster claw clasp. I like it for my more valuable/sentimental pendants because it’s so solid and strong, even though it’s not a thick chain. Whatever chain you get, just make sure the clasp and links are soldered together. I prefer a lobster claw closure over a spring ring, but I also have some good spring rings as well, so it one of those things you’ll know when you use it. As for your bracelet, I bet if you asked for recommendations for good jewelers in or near the town you live, someone might be able to help. I would not take it to just anyone for sure.

For everyday gold hoops try Maria Tash, clicker hoops. They’re simple, affordable and easy to wear. For chain I would go Etsy route. Sorry can’t help with bracelet but depends on where you’re based your local jeweller should be able to help. Look at his/her reviews first.

I would use an independent jeweller for all three. They are likely to use better quality materials (or order in equivalents in 18k gold which is what I ask my jeweller to do) and are likely to charge more reasonable prices. I wouldn’t go designer for basics like this and that will also keep the cost down. If you are unsure who to use I would look at local reviews or ask people for recommendations. One of the two jewellers I use in my area always gets glowing reviews on our local Facebook groups which is how I came to know him in the first place.

I forgot about Costco. That’s also a good place to look. I think you’d be fine picking up a chain and hoops there or at Blue Nile. I’m more familar with BN And have purchased a lot there over the years. The quality is good to fantastic, depending on the item. I have a gold wheat chain from BN that is really sturdy with a good lobster claw clasp. I like it for my more valuable/sentimental pendants because it’s so solid and strong, even though it’s not a thick chain. Whatever chain you get, just make sure the clasp and links are soldered together. I prefer a lobster claw closure over a spring ring, but I also have some good spring rings as well, so it one of those things you’ll know when you use it. As for your bracelet, I bet if you asked for recommendations for good jewelers in or near the town you live, someone might be able to help. I would not take it to just anyone for sure.
Great tips, thank you!

Hi! I’m pretty new to jewelry and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Where would be the best places to go for (1) everyday gold hoops, (2) a plain gold chain for wearing a child sized ring I inherited, and (3) resetting an inherited bracelet I’ll never wear? Neither inherited piece is expensive if that matters, the ring in particular just has huge sentimental value so I’d like to wear it as a pendant.

I’m thinking an independent jeweler? But how do I find a reputable one? Or would I be better off using Blue Nile or some such for the hoops and chain since I’m looking for something so straightforward?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help!
Depends where you are. If you want stuff reset, it’s best to go with someone you trust. Perhaps a friend can refer you to a favorite independent jeweler or you can try one out with a few small things and build up as you develop a relationship. . .

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
Quality gold (platinum, etc) chains can be bought at sarraf.com. Ross-simons.com has tons of hoops in many sizes at good prices and they often have sales. You can usually get better prices online. It might be worth checking Costco, too. They just won't have as many items as the online sites will.

If you want to post the bracelet, I can give a better opinion about whether it is worth resetting or not.

Reactions: AntiqueShopper
I can second BlueNile! I get all of my simple basics through them like diamond solitaires at an amazing price. You pick out your diamonds so you know exactly what you're getting, and you can even pick unusual things like florescence (which actually is an 'undesirable' stone trait... but I think it's so cool if they glow and seek those out specifically)!

You can get plain gold hoops and a chain almost anywhere. Department stores have sales which is good for price comparison.

My policy is to shop at local, family run businesses as much as possible. I’m willing to spend 15% or 20% more to support them. It’s a small investment to keep my community healthy.

I'm also shopping for a jewellery basic; I'd really like to buy a diamond tennis bracelet. I'm tempted by the Mejuri tennis bracelet (which has about one carat of diamonds, SI clarity, GH colour). It's currently on sale with their Black Friday sale, but it's still a lot of money! Do any of you have stories about when some of you started buying these "investment pieces," when a piece is "worth it" for you, and whether the Mejuri bracelet strikes you as a good choice? Btw I'm not bothered by the stones being small (I feel like I can always upgrade down the road, and I like dainty jewellery)! Thanks in advance!