Ebay - managed payments

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
Beginning in July, ebay has begun phasing in managed payments until finally, all sellers will be registered for it.

For me, I have until September 15 to register or risk of not being able to list new items.

This is the message:

Managed payments enhances the buying and selling experience on eBay, providing sellers one place to sell and get paid, and their buyers more ways to pay. eBay will manage payments for most sellers in 2020. You’ll need to register by September 15, 2020 to avoid any interruptions to your selling.​
Selling is simpler when eBay manages your payments, and your buyers have new ways to pay:​
Simpler to sell
Checkout is more flexible, with an easier experience for your buyers​
Simpler to get paid
Funds are more accessible, with automatic payouts sent directly to your bank account​
Simpler to manage
Operations run smoother, with simplified fees, integrated reporting, and direct support​
Let’s get you registered in three simple steps:

1.Verify your information
2.Provide a checking account
3.Don’t miss a beat and keep selling!
Want more information on how eBay is making selling simpler? Learn more about all the features, benefits and costs when eBay manages your payments on the eBay Seller Center.

Once you register, nothing will change until eBay activates your account starting late September 2020. We will notify you of your activation date in advance, and will be sharing more information about the change, how it will benefit you, and how to take full advantage of our new, simpler approach to payments.

Learn more about fees here. You can find additional details about the registration process on the Help Hub here. If you still have questions, you can request a call from one of our Payments team members there - we’re here for you.

Please click here to register for managed payments now.

*Please disregard this message if you have already registered for managed payments.*

Some of the changes noted in this link are scary!

Additional final value fees
You may be charged final value fees if you violate our policy of buying or selling outside of eBay, or we may apply additional final value fees if you are not meeting our performance expectations.

Buying or selling outside of eBay
If you offer or reference your contact information or ask a buyer for their contact information in the context of buying or selling outside of eBay, you'll be charged a final value fee based on the total amount of the sale even if your item doesn't sell. In this situation, the total amount of the sale is determined as follows:

• Auction-style listing format: The total amount of the sale is the auction start price, the Buy It Now price (if applicable), the reserve price (if applicable), or the price identified between the buyer and seller, whichever is highest.
  • Fixed price listing format: The total amount of the sale is the fixed price or the price identified between the buyer and seller, whichever is higher.
Sellers not meeting performance expectations
Additional final value fees may apply on sales in the following circumstances:

• If your account doesn't meet our minimum seller performance standards for the US in the evaluation on the 20th of the month, you'll be charged an additional 5% on the standard final value fees applicable to sales in the following calendar month. Go to your Seller Dashboard to check your current seller level. This fee does not apply to Above Standard and eBay Top-rated Sellers
  • If your rate of 'Item not as described' return requests is evaluated in your service metrics as Very High in the evaluation on the 20th of the month in one or more categories, you will be charged an additional 5% on the standard final value fees for sales in those categories in the following calendar month. You can view your personalized service metrics on your Service Metrics dashboard in Seller Hub.
Any additional final value fees will be calculated as a percentage of the total amount of the sale. We'll indicate which listings are subject to additional fees on your Account Summary.

Note: If your account isn't meeting our minimum seller performance standards and you're rated Very High in your rate of 'Item not as described' return requests, you'll only be charged the additional final value fee for not meeting our minimum seller performance standards.

Dispute fee
If you are found responsible for a disputed amount as per eBay policies (e.g., chargeback), we charge a $20.00 dispute fee, excluding sales tax, for each dispute.

International fee
If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the US. This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales.

If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your International fee information.

Seller currency conversion charge
If your registered address is in the US, when you list on an eBay site with a listing currency different to your payout currency, eBay may convert the value to your settlement currency using a "transaction exchange rate" we set for the currency exchange. The transaction exchange rate is adjusted regularly and includes a currency conversion charge of 3% applied on a base exchange rate. The base exchange rate is based on rates within the wholesale currency markets on the conversion day or the prior business day; or, if required by law or regulation, set at the relevant government reference rate(s). The currency conversion charge will be automatically deducted from your sales.

If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your Seller currency conversion charge information.

Examples of fee calculations
Auction-style listing example
Fixed price listing example
Other terms and conditions
  • Not all features, listing categories, and optional upgrades are available for managed payments sellers. Learn more about managed payments on eBay
  • If you use supplemental services, such as buying and printing shipping labels on eBay, or if you participate in any of our advertising programs, additional terms and conditions may apply, and you'll pay any costs or fees associated with those services. Details of the costs or fees will be on your monthly invoice and we'll charge the payment method you've set up on your seller account
  • All fees are in US dollars
  • Sellers may be invoiced for final value fees, international fees, and seller currency conversion charges under certain circumstances
  • Fees may apply if you end your auction-style listing early
  • The fees on this page apply to listings on eBay.com. If you list an item on another eBay site (for example, eBay.com.au or eBay.co.uk), the fees for that site will apply
  • If your payment method fails or your account is past due, we reserve the right to limit or suspend the services which eBay provides to you
  • Seller fees don't purchase exclusive rights to web pages on eBay. We may, in our sole discretion and without consent from or payment to sellers, display third-party advertisements (including links and references thereto) and listings from other sellers on any eBay page
  • Depending on the tax legislation of your country of residency, local Value Added Tax (VAT), Goods and Services Tax (GST) or similar consumption tax might apply in addition to your eBay fees

Beginning in July, ebay has begun phasing in managed payments until finally, all sellers will be registered for it.

For me, I have until September 15 to register or risk of not being able to list new items.

This is the message:

Managed payments enhances the buying and selling experience on eBay, providing sellers one place to sell and get paid, and their buyers more ways to pay. eBay will manage payments for most sellers in 2020. You’ll need to register by September 15, 2020 to avoid any interruptions to your selling.​

Selling is simpler when eBay manages your payments, and your buyers have new ways to pay:​

Simpler to sell
Checkout is more flexible, with an easier experience for your buyers​

Simpler to get paid
Funds are more accessible, with automatic payouts sent directly to your bank account​

Simpler to manage
Operations run smoother, with simplified fees, integrated reporting, and direct support​

Let’s get you registered in three simple steps:
1.Verify your information
2.Provide a checking account
3.Don’t miss a beat and keep selling!

Want more information on how eBay is making selling simpler? Learn more about all the features, benefits and costs when eBay manages your payments on the eBay Seller Center.

Once you register, nothing will change until eBay activates your account starting late September 2020. We will notify you of your activation date in advance, and will be sharing more information about the change, how it will benefit you, and how to take full advantage of our new, simpler approach to payments.

Learn more about fees here. You can find additional details about the registration process on the Help Hub here. If you still have questions, you can request a call from one of our Payments team members there - we’re here for you.

Please click here to register for managed payments now.

*Please disregard this message if you have already registered for managed payments.*

Wait so what about PayPal?

Although it's not clear in any of ebay's messages, it seems to be that buyer's can still use PP.

On Ina's blog, she posted (as per ebay's publication):
More ways for buyers to pay
Accepted forms of payment include credit, debit, and gift cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, and PayPal Credit.

Here's more on EcommerceBytes:

Reactions: earthygirl
what info do you have to verify? I barely trusted ebay with my paypal. Nevergonna give them my social .
They took the social but that's necessary for the 1099s they send at the end of the year.

They took bank routing info but if you feel more comfortable, you can open a new bank account specifically for ebay.

Reactions: Fullcloset
They took the social but that's necessary for the 1099s they send at the end of the year.

They took bank routing info but if you feel more comfortable, you can open a new bank account specifically for ebay.
Ok thank you. That is what I needed to know. I will never give them my social so I guess I can't sell on Ebay. My sales are no where near what is required before they have to send a 1099 so they don't need it unless they are going to send everyone a 1099 regardless of whether or not you hit your 200/$20000 annual sales which triggers the 1099. I don't trust Ebay with that info - too many security breaches and glitches and overseas customer service people etc.

Ok thank you. That is what I needed to know. I will never give them my social so I guess I can't sell on Ebay. My sales are no where near what is required before they have to send a 1099 so they don't need it unless they are going to send everyone a 1099 regardless of whether or not you hit your 200/$20000 annual sales which triggers the 1099. I don't trust Ebay with that info - too many security breaches and glitches and overseas customer service people etc.
They do send them to everyone because they don't differentiate between states that require them for EVERY transaction and those that only require them for 200/$20000.

And now that I registered for managed payments, I got a "special" promotion in addition to my monthly 200 free listings allowance.

I can save 30% on FVF for 2 BILLION + listings of luxury watches that sell for over $2000! (If I had 1 $2K watch, I wouldn't sell it on ebay! I'd consign or sell as a direct buyout!)

So my chances of listing 2,147,483,647 expensive watches is almost as high as my chance of winning powerball!

Screen Shot 2020-09-11 at 10.39.05 PM.png

They do send them to everyone because they don't differentiate between states that require them for EVERY transaction and those that only require them for 200/$20000.
Is this eBay sending the 1099's? I haven't been forced into managed payments yet so that may be why, but I've only ever received a 1099 from PayPal, and only when I hit the 200/$20000. Now I need to bolo for another form come tax time I think.

I don't sell anywhere near the federal requirements for 1099s but my state has required them for several years. Now that ebay is going to be handling the money rather than PP, I assume it'll be ebay who will be sending them.

Reactions: holiday123
I was invited to sign up on manager payments on my account and I’m a little scared, would that mean less seller protection?
I don't think you're "invited." I think you MUST sign up by a certain date. ("Invited" implies that you have an option to accept or decline. There's no option.)

I don't think there's less seller protection. But the fee structure varies.