I got a Valentino bag...thinking it was Valentino Garavani. Nope.

Sep 1, 2020
Ugh. I just purchased my first Valentino bag from a luxury consignment store. The bag was locked in the case with a channel and Louis Vuitton bag. I assumed it was Valentino Garavani and bought it. But IT’S NOT. It’s flipping Valentino by Mario Valentino?! I had never even heard of that brand before. The store doesn’t take returns and I don’t really want it anymore since it wasn’t what I thought I was originally buying. I looked up the resale value and it’s not great. Question is, does anyone know about Mario Valentino? Is that a high end brand? I couldn’t find much info about him expect for he died.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: IntheOcean
Ugh. I just purchased my first Valentino bag from a luxury consignment store. The bag was locked in the case with a channel and Louis Vuitton bag. I assumed it was Valentino Garavani and bought it. But IT’S NOT. It’s flipping Valentino by Mario Valentino?! I had never even heard of that brand before. The store doesn’t take returns and I don’t really want it anymore since it wasn’t what I thought I was originally buying. I looked up the resale value and it’s not great. Question is, does anyone know about Mario Valentino? Is that a high end brand? I couldn’t find much info about him expect for he died.

View attachment 4835440

View attachment 4835441
It's about the level or perceived level as Moschino or Tods, or MiuMiu priced at Saksoff5th about $300ish to $450, never bought it but saw it all the time (actually quite nicely made bags, leather are nice and hardware are nice too), it's different to Valentino Garavani, Valentino Garavani's bags retails around $1,100 to $1,400, actual secondhand market is about $600ish to $800ish, never bought either except their shoes. People mix up these two brands quite frequently, I researched it while I was selling my shoes, haha so most people saying Valentino they actually think of Valentino Garavani

The store you bought it from was quite tricky

Last edited:
It's about the level or perceived level as Moschino or Tods, or MiuMiu priced at Saksoff5th about $300ish to $450, never bought it but saw it all the time (actually quite nicely made bags, leather are nice and hardware are nice too), it's different to Valentino Garavani, Valentino Garavani's bags retails around $1,100 to $1,400, actual secondhand market is about $600ish to $800ish, never bought either except their shoes. People mix up these two brands quite frequently, I researched it while I was selling my shoes, haha so most people saying Valentino they actually think of Valentino Garavani

The store you bought it from was quite tricky
Thank you for this info!!!
From what I’ve seen lots of people bash this brand saying that It tries to mimic others and is not considered a luxury brand.
I definitely assumed it was Valentino Garavani. The store has a sign saying they don’t accept returns but I’m going to try tomorrow.

Reactions: C.Ly and onlyk
Thank you for this info!!!
From what I’ve seen lots of people bash this brand saying that It tries to mimic others and is not considered a luxury brand.
I definitely assumed it was Valentino Garavani. The store has a sign saying they don’t accept returns but I’m going to try tomorrow.
I got it used for 340. I’m so mad myself because it looks like I could have gotten that bag brand new for around the same price.

Reactions: C.Ly
I have noticed that my local Saks Off 5th is saturated with Mario Valentino bags. To the point I felt like they were only sold there and not in the main store.

I do hope that the consignment store can realize the misunderstanding and at least give you store credit.

Reactions: FluffyCat22
I have noticed that my local Saks Off 5th is saturated with Mario Valentino bags. To the point I felt like they were only sold there and not in the main store.

I do hope that the consignment store can realize the misunderstanding and at least give you store credit.
I’m pretty sure tTHE brand is not sold at my local Saks.

It's about the level or perceived level as Moschino or Tods, or MiuMiu
I don't think that's quite the case, personally. I don't mean in terms of pricing, but rather the bags themselves and the direction the brand is going.

I don't know much about Moschino, but Tod's and Miu Miu have their own designs and a certain reputation. Mario Valentino these days pretty much just copy high-end brands and add their name. Now, they could've made "Mario Valentino" their primary logo, to prevent the confusion, but they didn't. Instead, it's the giant V letter and "Valentino" right across the front. So basically, their two primary groups of customers are 1. people who got them confused with Valentino Garavani - they heard the name but don't really know what VG looks like; 2. people who can't afford the Givenchy Antigona and purchase a Mario Valentino knock-off... oh, I'm sorry, 'dupe'.

Even from the cropped-out photo the OP posted, we can see that the shape of the flap and the turnlock resemble Chanel. :shrugs: This brand shouldn't be compared to Miu Miu or Tod's or Moschino, but rather Teddy Blake and the like.

I don't know if the store the OP bought the bag from knew it wasn't VG. If they didn't, they should have.

I don't think that's quite the case, personally. I don't mean in terms of pricing, but rather the bags themselves and the direction the brand is going.

I don't know much about Moschino, but Tod's and Miu Miu have their own designs and a certain reputation. Mario Valentino these days pretty much just copy high-end brands and add their name. Now, they could've made "Mario Valentino" their primary logo, to prevent the confusion, but they didn't. Instead, it's the giant V letter and "Valentino" right across the front. So basically, their two primary groups of customers are 1. people who got them confused with Valentino Garavani - they heard the name but don't really know what VG looks like; 2. people who can't afford the Givenchy Antigona and purchase a Mario Valentino knock-off... oh, I'm sorry, 'dupe'.

Even from the cropped-out photo the OP posted, we can see that the shape of the flap and the turnlock resemble Chanel. :shrugs: This brand shouldn't be compared to Miu Miu or Tod's or Moschino, but rather Teddy Blake and the like.

I don't know if the store the OP bought the bag from knew it wasn't VG. If they didn't, they should have.
I saw saksoff5th carried some Moschino bags & wallets too, really cute and leathers were really good too, didn't buy though, these brands just don't hold value, too bad
and Balenciaga's city, Fendis, Gucci, etc
I did buy CL shoes from there, great value