Chanel Mini - thoughts?

Chic-Chick

O.G.
Jul 10, 2009
My SA told me that minis are really hard to get. I am 5 ft tall and I tried a mini couple of times, but the strap is so long I just couldn't love it. I know you can wear it as a crossbody, but I think it looks a little too formal for a crossbody. What are your thoughts?

Reactions: luvleeness
I'm also on the petite side (5'2), and I have the same problem with the straps on pretty much both the mini rectangle and mini square being too long for my liking. However, there is a gadget you can use to shorten the straps (google purse chain shortener and you'll see). I'm on the hunt for a mini too, but a great option right now if you don't mind velvet is the mini pearl crushes with the adjustable strap that are available right now - they're pretty much the like the mini flaps but with an adjustable chain. I'm super bummed because I missed out on the lambskin version for spring/summer, but if the strap is the only thing holding you back, the shortener is a workaround.

Reactions: Chic-Chick
The strap on the Mini is definitely quiet long (I’m about 5‘3), so in the beginning I wore it almost crossbody exclusively. IMO it looks best worn over the shoulder so I shortened the chain with a ribbon. As it’s my preferred way of wearing it, I recently got a chain shortened which looks way better when opening the bag than the ribbon did. It all depends on personal preferences. With the shortened chain it definitely is a favorite for me. Next I’m thinking of getting the WoC (same issue with the chain) and feel much more at ease with this method in mind.

There’s a clip to shorten the chain like xlana said above. Last I read on this forum that Chanel give it for free otherwise we can find it on amazon or ebay. I’m 5’4” and mini rect chain drop is perfect on me crossbody but I’m thinking of getting one for my woc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chic-Chick
The strap on the Mini is definitely quiet long (I’m about 5‘3), so in the beginning I wore it almost crossbody exclusively. IMO it looks best worn over the shoulder so I shortened the chain with a ribbon. As it’s my preferred way of wearing it, I recently got a chain shortened which looks way better when opening the bag than the ribbon did. It all depends on personal preferences. With the shortened chain it definitely is a favorite for me. Next I’m thinking of getting the WoC (same issue with the chain) and feel much more at ease with this method in mind.

I’m 5ft tall and the mini is def too long on me as well as the woc. It’s too much of a hassle for me to use the chain shortener, and I’d rather get it done professionally. Where did you get yours shortened?

I’m 5ft tall and the mini is def too long on me as well as the woc. It’s too much of a hassle for me to use the chain shortener, and I’d rather get it done professionally. Where did you get yours shortened?

So sorry, autocorrect messed up the word to “chain shortened”. It was supposed to say “chain shortener” There again it tried to change the word.. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Usually, I double check. Personally, I checked mine for a real chain shortening and decided against it for now. If for any reason I would want the chain to be long again, it would be a real hassle.

Reactions: heytheredelilah
My SA told me that minis are really hard to get. I am 5 ft tall and I tried a mini couple of times, but the strap is so long I just couldn't love it. I know you can wear it as a crossbody, but I think it looks a little too formal for a crossbody. What are your thoughts?
Hi. What did you end up getting? I had the same dilemma (just about 5ft) so my first choice was square mini (shorter drop length than the rectangular mini) but because of the long wait list I went for the mini reissue. Couldn't be happier. I want to use it only for special occasions but couldn't resist taking it with me everywhere heheheh. I can be less careful than if I had the lambskin mini :smile:
But for sure the length of any regular mini can be shortened by tying it with a ribbon under the flap. :smile:

20201010_170308.jpg