Buying in USA tax free?

Hirshliefers shipped to me (I was in Florida at that time) tax free but this was in 2018! But I think I read a recent similar experience somewhere.. not sure though..

Reactions: Dannadrew
The Webster ships tax free to states they don’t have a presence. I’m pretty sure they have boutiques in CA so that won’t work for you. Bergdorf Goodman used to but they stopped a couple of years ago.

The Webster ships tax free to states they don’t have a presence. I’m pretty sure they have boutiques in CA so that won’t work for you. Bergdorf Goodman used to but they stopped a couple of years ago.

Are you sure they stopped?
I placed an order for a pair of sneakers and it was calculated tax free last month. The order was eventually cancelled due to unavailability but I’m pretty sure it was tax free.

Last edited:
Yes I contacted them! Do u work with a specific sa? We’re u happy with the experience?

I was very happy yes! I was actually present in the boutique physically when I was visiting NYC and saw the bag in person and was willing to take it right there right then but my super nice SA suggested that I ship it to where I resided instead to have it tax free! I was traveling back the next day so I wasn’t worried about the delivery if I’m not there. That SA unfortunately left Hirshliefers :sad: she referred me to her colleague but I haven’t had the chance to order from her yet.

I placed an order for a pair of sneakers and it was calculated tax free last month. The order was eventually cancelled due to unavailability but I’m pretty sure it was tax free.
If you live in CA, you will have to pay taxes on orders from BG. The good old days of tax free purchase orders from BG are long gone.

If you live in CA, you will have to pay taxes on orders from BG. The good old days of tax free purchase orders from BG are long gone.
My shipping address was to Florida :smile:
I understand it’s not precisely relevant to the OP’s question since she’s in California, but I thought I’d share my experience for anyone else who’s interested.

It’s been over a year since I purchased Chanel there but the last time I did that’s what my SA said and I paid NJ sales tax since I had the item shipped.

I have been on ban island for a couple years and am not contemplating a chanel 19 flap. I used to order at BG but now they charge tax (~10 in CA). Does Hirshleifers and Jeffrey still sell chanel? Are they still opened? If so, do they charge tax to CA? Is there another small dept store that I can order from instead?Please let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: lovieluvslux
If you live in CA I think the chances of avoiding sales tax on a Chanel bag are really low... I don't think I've seen a retailer yet where I've been able to escape sales tax for an online purchase. Jeffrey for sure charges since they have physical locations in state.

Last year, my state put into effect a law that required retailers to apply my state's sales tax on out-of-state online purchases. Technically, everyone in a state with a sales and use tax law should have been reporting and paying taxes. States were losing millions in revenue from unpaid use taxes. When my state was able to successfully require retailers to tax, other states followed.

Long story short, it is extremely hard to find larger businesses that won't charge sales tax. Unless you live in, or ship to, a state where there isn't a sale and/or use tax, expect to pay.

According to the CA Dept of Tax and Fee Administration:
* Beginning April 1, 2019, retailers located outside of California are required to register with the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA), collect the California use tax, and pay the tax to the CDTFA based on the amount of their sales into California, even if they do not have a physical presence in the state.

Therefore it seems retailers have to charge state tax, even if they’re not local, as long as they’re shipping into a California address.

Reactions: mocktail