Advice Please - worried about buying looted/stolen purse

JenJBS

Sep 22, 2019
I need some advice, please.

Found a bag I really want on Tradesy for $500 less than the usual $2000 retail price. Current bag, not hard to find. Advertised as 'New With Tags'. Seller says they bought it at Nordstrom's, and have never worn it. I was thrilled. Then my brain kicked in. Nordstom's has a generous return policy, so if the bag still has tags and wasn't worn, why not just return it for a full refund instead of selling it at a $500 loss , plus the commission Tradesy takes? I'm afraid it's because the bag was not bought at Nordstrom's, but stolen as part of the looting of other stores. Nordstrom's website doesn't show this particular style, so that really makes me doubt the story even more. I've messaged the seller asking about the receipt. No answer yet but it hasn't been long. Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? Am I being paranoid?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: lulu212121 and RT1
I wouldn't say the lack of receipt is a dead giveaway that the bag has been looted since not everyone is in the habit of keeping paperwork (although they should!). Perhaps if the seller doesn't have a receipt, a screenshot of the payment could work as well?

Also, like Pessie said in the previous post, check out if she's selling any other BNWT luxury items. And look at her other listings, whatever they are. Look at the photos. What does the background look like? The room in which the photos were taken, does it look like the home of a person who can afford a $2000 bag? I know now not everyone who has a designer handbag is well off and lives in a nice house, but that could help.

Reactions: JenJBS
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. I'll have to use it next time, as the bag has been sold.

What else is she selling/sold recently? Any other new bags? The lack of receipt is definitely suss.
I wouldn't say the lack of receipt is a dead giveaway that the bag has been looted since not everyone is in the habit of keeping paperwork (although they should!). Perhaps if the seller doesn't have a receipt, a screenshot of the payment could work as well?

Also, like Pessie said in the previous post, check out if she's selling any other BNWT luxury items. And look at her other listings, whatever they are. Look at the photos. What does the background look like? The room in which the photos were taken, does it look like the home of a person who can afford a $2000 bag? I know now not everyone who has a designer handbag is well off and lives in a nice house, but that could help.