What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

Tremere

May 25, 2019
I start:

- Cartier Love Bracelets and JUC are ugly and not practical (you can't take them off? WTF!). They get quite ugly with time, they lose their shine.
- VCA Alhambra collection is ugly and plain Jane. Also, all the semiprecious stones are not practical, because they can't get wet.
- Most people only buy these collections because they are easily recognizable, not because they really like them.
- I suffer when I see people having lots of Alhambra, Love or JUC pieces, when for they same money they could have got a high-end, one-of-a-kind piece from any luxury designer.
- Ceramic jewelry pieces can't be considered fine jewelry.

Last edited:
I start:

- Cartier Love Bracelets and JUC are ugly and not practical (you can't take them off? WTF!). They get quite ugly with time, they lose their shine.
- VCA Alhambra collection is ugly and plain Jane. Also, all the semiprecious stones are not practical, because they can't get wet.
- Most people only buy these collections because they are easily recognizable, not because they really like them.
- I suffer when I see people having lots of Alhambra, Love or JUC pieces, when for they same money they could have got a high-end, one-of-a-kind piece from any luxury designer.
You suffer? That’s a bit extreme, no?
If these make people happy, who cares?

I didn’t like Alhambra until I saw it in person; now I think it’s lovely.
I have a small Love; bought it because I liked it, not because it’s a name. I’m not obsessed with the LOVE collection and don’t think it’s the best thing out there, but see the appeal.

I’m a jeweler’s daughter, I have plenty of one of a kind pieces and I have name brand pieces as well. All make me happy

I start:

+1

You are entitled to your opinion and preferences, of course, but why make such sweeping statements and generalisations about other people’s?

I own several pieces from the Love and JUC collections and bought them because I love the look, not because they are recognisable. If anything I find the idea of that very off-putting as I am quite shy/introverted in real life and don’t like the idea of people making assumptions about my financial status etc when they look at what I’m wearing. Even now I will hesitate when putting on a more recognisable piece of jewellery as I worry about looking ‘flashy’.

Like NY2LA I also have lots of one of a kind pieces which I treasure as they are unique.

There is a place for both types of jewellery. Everyone has different tastes and budgets. It’s a cliche but the world really would be a very boring place if we were all the same.

My unpopular jewelry opinion is that stud earrings—diamond studs, pearl studs, whatever—are a total yawn. I think small hoops or drop earrings are much more interesting and flattering. It’s commonly said you “can’t go wrong with studs” but I personally think you can. I know I’m in the minority on this, but not everyone buys into the same jewelry uniform.

I’m not crazy about the love bracelet or VCA for myself, but they look great on others.
im not as much a diamond person as a colored stone person and have discovered this only recently
I thought I was a white gold or platinum person (I love phw on bags) but apparently rose gold looks best on my skin (Very new discovery)
I love Verdura and Suzanne Belperron design (Verdura produces licensed a Belperron reproductions). The latter may be forever out of my price range, but I will hopefully start with one or two Verdura pieces. neither seem popular on TPF.
I possibly love wearing large watches more than any of the above.

Every time I start to contemplate buying a pair of diamond studs my mind goes to Etsy and I think "If I had to choose between a pair of diamond studs and this wonderful pair of agate/moonstone/amazonite/etc. studs I saw on Etsy well my heart would naturally go with the agate/moonstone/amazonite/etc. studs." So that's what I buy. :smile:

On other people though I do love diamond studs.

I lose them. Well, one. Always. So I don't own any anymore!

My unpopular jewelry opinion is that stud earrings—diamond studs, pearl studs, whatever—are a total yawn. I think small hoops or drop earrings are much more interesting and flattering. It’s commonly said you “can’t go wrong with studs” but I personally think you can. I know I’m in the minority on this, but not everyone buys into the same jewelry uniform.

• Sad
Reactions: Roie55
I start:

your post made me laugh! I did not find it offensive at all. I have always wondered why anyone would want to wear a bangle that requires so much effort to remove. In my community I see so many Cartier bangles and Alhambra jewelry. Both have become quite common and when I spot these pieces on someone irl, I don’t give it much thought beyond brand recognition.

I prefer my jewelry to be unique. I work with my jeweler to create unique, elegant and timeless pieces that suit my personal style. I intend to pass my jewelry down to my daughters and I want them to have a one of a kind collection that reminds them of their mother!!

Agree with your conclusion but I don't suffer. I just think they're either really rich or really stupid or both (sorry lol).

Almost everyone I know of who owns one of these doesn't own the real thing. Most of these people aren't poor, some are from families with tens of millions of assets. They either custom make one out of real gold (and I might add, higher gold content than the original), or they buy a cheap $20 one.

It's so bad that one of my friends decided against buying a real one because she felt that there were so many fakes out there that people would probably just assume that hers was a fake.

Which also provides evidence towards your point that people mostly buy it for the brand. And I guess when Cartier figures that out they'll just raise prices even more, even though nothing about the product inherently justifies it.

I also think the Love collection is ugly and is a case of less is not more. It's just blah. Like seriously Cartier, try harder. It looks like a $600 gold bracelet that you can find in any jewelry store.

I do like the VCA Alhambra though. And Dior's Rose Des Vents.