Is there a bag Hierarchy???

This makes me excited as I have a Moynat on its way to me this week :smile:
Personal opinion, but I think based on leather quality and what I've seen/heard on TPF,
Hermes/Moynat>Bottega>Vuitton
Based on what the Chanel fans have stated over the years, the quality has decreased. I am lucky to have a vintage jumbo, and my last Chanel purse, from the Rue Cambon store, was a collector edition made of felt and metallic embellishments (I love it, and no worries about any leather peeling/issues since it is not made of leather).
This is my little handbag world, I haven't experienced first hand other major brands such as Dior or Prada, so I cannot lend an opinion on them.
From my past shoe purchases, Tod's and Ferragamo have some amazing leathers so I think they probably produce a fine handbag.

This thread has been incredibly interesting and I have enjoyed viewing everyone's input on this topic.

Hierarchy starts at home. My collection maintains its own hierarchy. I am just a by-stander and enjoy er of the collection. I buy what I like and what suits my life-style. Then, the hierarchy of handbags take place through my enjoyment and use of them. Same with my ankle boot and fountain pen collections. I think that a musician would say the same thing about their instrument collection.

On a social status level - who cares.

So I’ve been looking in the designer handbags and there’s so many brands and I’m trying to figure out who would be like the top five brands to buy designer handbag from besides Hermes ( cause duh on that one lol). I know people say just get the bags you like and all that but I would really like to know like who is still relevant in at the top.

Any of the Premier brands should be safe bets. That's such a subjective concept, that there are bound to be lots of different opinions. I'd suggest looking at the current offerings of the Premier brands and seeing which brand(s) best fit your style and your life. And I strongly suggest also looking into Contemporary brands. Many of them have high quality, beautiful, and relevant bags.

I know this could sound pathetic I guess but for the first one it’s more of a status I mean in my opinion they are kind of a status bag
Don’t feel bad about wanting a “status” bag. I’d bet if most on here were honest and self aware they’d admit status is at least a part of the buying decision. :rolleyes: Otherwise, we’d all just have very well made bags from Etsy or a local leather craftsman.

It’s hard to say which are the top 5. Sometimes a brand can run cold for a bit and then get rejuvenated. Also, to some extent the perceived status of a bag is regional and generational. I’ll throw out my list in no particular order for whatever it’s worth. These are the bags that are likely most recognizable by purse hounds and regular folk alike. And, they are good quality though overpriced. But, it’s luxury, right so... :lol:

Chanel
Dior
Louis Vuitton
Fendi
Gucci

Don’t be afraid to get a bag or two that you just adore. Trust me. After years of chasing this or that, the bags I have kept, wear and love are ones that are just right for me.

One last note, there are beautiful, well made bags from high end players in non bag categories that get very little attention on tPF like Bvlgari or Cartier. A true cuckoo purse lover like me would notice your bag and smile at the quality and style you’re displaying. Others probably would “just” see a pretty bag.

And, welcome to the world of handbag collecting! Share a pic of your first score!

I know this could sound pathetic I guess but for the first one it’s more of a status I mean in my opinion they are kind of a status bag

Please don’t apologize or demean yourself. You asked a fair question. I think poopsie‘s response was irrelevant. I agree with sparkletastic that if most were honest and self aware they’d admit that status was part of their motivation in buying luxury bags. You shouldn’t be shamed on this forum especially! There are enough haters IRL.

To answer your question, aside from Hermes, this is my list:
1) Chanel (as much as people complain about price increases And decrease in quality, they keep purchasing these overpriced but beautiful bags— including myself!)
2) Dior (most notably the lady dior bag—high quality and great customer service seem to be why)
3)Goyard (an elusive brand with loads of “chicness”)
4)Fendi (esp the peekaboo and baguette but overall it’s a sexy luxury brand imo...at least until it becomes over saturated like LV canvas bags and Gucci bags)
5) I have to say LV... not for me but it seems the rest of the world loves their canvas bags. personally, I think their leather bags dont seem timeless enough, and all of their bags kind of look the same to me... but hey...to each their own.

hope this helps!

You can get an idea of who is most popular by looking at the posts in the designer forums. For example the Louis Vuitton forum has 4.9 million posts while Burberry has 95,000. I get bummed when I buy a new bag from a designer that the forum isn't very active on here. No one to talk too. :giggle:
Me too...I just bought a strathberry crescent shoulder bag in the vanilla/ diamond color and I’m sooo in love with it, but there’s hardly anything about this bag on the purseforum and you tube.

This reply makes me almost unreasonably happy.
There's no real order anymore. Hermes may cost 3 x another average designer bag, but a contemporary bag from a new company may be far more cool to carry on a street in Paris.

Hierarchy of the status of brands is a very outmoded concept IMO

True...
it’s how you wear the bag! Whatever bag that may be!