Recent Business Insider article: thoughts?

VintageViv

Aug 13, 2018
I like the general gist of the article, however the comment about Gen Z and Millennials concerns me. I'd like to see Coach stick to their traditional originals and luxury handbags, not introducing new bags in and out every year. While they may have seen a spike in millennial and gen Z customers, IMO (no offense intended) they have less disposable income & leap from thing to thing.

Hallelujah!
My words exactly!! :happydance:
This is one of the things brands seem to forget - the customer they already have. The same tactics is what drove Mulberry into trouble.
I think Coach has so many winning designs already like Cassie, Dinky, Tabby, Field Totes, and people are buying multiples, just like it used to be for Mulberry. There are people on tPF that own 5 or 10 M Bayswaters or Coach Cassies etc. Bread and butter bags and wallets are important for a brand.

I just stumbled upon this recent article about Coach: https://www.businessinsider.com/coach-cuts-handbags-accessories-assortment-for-holidays-2020-8

Anyone have any thoughts? I thought this quote by interim CEO Todd Kahn was interesting: "At certain times, we have placed too much focus on the customer we wanted and not enough on who our customer actually is and what we as a brand stand for."

I haven't read the article yet, but I want to direct a comment to their "interim Ceo"s above statement.

N O
S H ! T,
SHERLOCK!

I'd love to know other's thoughts on what they consider the least relevant products (as stated in the article)
I can’t help with relevance but I’m drawn to Coach’s runway line since for the most part they offer plenty of value for money.They also tend to offer many playful and seemingly irreverent styling.

My local store doesn’t carry any of the items that I’ve purchased so I’ve had to have them transferred in. So I’m guessing I’m not their target market, since they don’t bother stocking said items.

I’ve perused the latest collection online and I’m a bit sad that their shoes for the most part have fabric linings now (Men’s). There’s also barely anything when you click on new rtw releases but that might just be a symptom of COVID.

I hope this doesn’t impact their runway offerings too much though.

Coach never released a lookbook for Pre Spring (Resort) 2021 despite most other houses revealing their collections over the summer.
Coach also isn’t on the schedule for NYFW. Runway may be over for Coach, which is a damn shame. It was a wonderful sandbox for seasonal tone across all of their product offerings.

I like the general gist of the article, however the comment about Gen Z and Millennials concerns me. I'd like to see Coach stick to their traditional originals and luxury handbags, not introducing new bags in and out every year. While they may have seen a spike in millennial and gen Z customers, IMO (no offense intended) they have less disposable income & leap from thing to thing.

Just a quick reminder, Millennials are about to hit forty years old. Not that young of a market segment any longer. I'm actually on the youngest end of the millennial bracket, it would probably been clearer if they broke down how much of that 50% is made up of Millennials vs. Gen Z.