First Chanel, classic or handle?

Rose0303

Jun 23, 2020
Hi all!!

I posted earlier this week and got a lot of feedback, thanks so much for your input.

So for my first chanel, i was thinking of the classic flap small in caviar but I also really like the cc chanel handle in mini size. Which do you prefer, and why? Ive watched YT vids but also wanted to come here and ask for advice.

Thanks for your help!!!

My first was a classic but I prefer carrying bags by a handle, or having various carrying options. I'd suggest to think about how you prefer to wear and carry your bags, let that guide the decision if you're stuck between just those two. If there had been a trendy or coco handle when I bought my classic, I likely would have gone for one of those instead and got a flap later.

Reactions: Rose0303
My opinion may be a bit different in that finally after owning designer bags for 20 years I have learned the hard way that I simply prefer a bag with carry options - the preferred being a handle. Next is crossbody, then shoulder. I prefer leather over chain as a strap. Knowing that, as much as I lusted over the boy and flap Chanels over the years because of how they look, as soon as I became aware that they had a top handle, I knew that was the one. In that same manner, as much as I love lambskin, I knew it had to be Cavier simply based on wearability. I think once you ask yourself what you are looking for in the bag, you will know the bag for you! Last month, I purchased the Cavier flap top handle and love everything about it. It is perfect. I get the hype, its just a perfect bag for me. I am glad I took the leap, sight unseen and had no doubts. I hope your experience is as pleasurable. 91517C8D-8331-45AE-A68F-B5B9B18B4FBB.jpeg

My first was a classic but I prefer carrying bags by a handle, or having various carrying options. I'd suggest to think about how you prefer to wear and carry your bags, let that guide the decision if you're stuck between just those two. If there had been a trendy or coco handle when I bought my classic, I likely would have gone for one of those instead and got a flap later.
Thank you for your input!!

My opinion may be a bit different in that finally after owning designer bags for 20 years I have learned the hard way that I simply prefer a bag with carry options - the preferred being a handle. Next is crossbody, then shoulder. I prefer leather over chain as a strap. Knowing that, as much as I lusted over the boy and flap Chanels over the years because of how they look, as soon as I became aware that they had a top handle, I knew that was the one. In that same manner, as much as I love lambskin, I knew it had to be Cavier simply based on wearability. I think once you ask yourself what you are looking for in the bag, you will know the bag for you! Last month, I purchased the Cavier flap top handle and love everything about it. It is perfect. I get the hype, its just a perfect bag for me. I am glad I took the leap, sight unseen and had no doubts. I hope your experience is as pleasurable. View attachment 4820766
Thank you for your advice and the pic!!! I do love a top handle which is why im drawn to it. The classic flap is just so pretty which is why im torn your bag is beautiful!!!!!

I opted for two coco handles over a classic flap as my first chanel bag. Reason being, I love the versatility of the coco handle. It’s looks like classic chanel with the quilts and back pocket + it has a top handle. I honestly love the look of the classic flap, but I just find the coco handle to be so much more practical with the option to wear shoulder or handheld.
882CCB45-A3C4-425B-A2B0-D131DB309EBF.jpegE7C9799B-DB62-4E2E-AD58-2C236D65C37A.jpeg

I opted for two coco handles over a classic flap as my first chanel bag. Reason being, I love the versatility of the coco handle. It’s looks like classic chanel with the quilts and back pocket + it has a top handle. I honestly love the look of the classic flap, but I just find the coco handle to be so much more practical with the option to wear shoulder or handheld.
View attachment 4820851View attachment 4820852
Thank you so much for the response!! I am getting a lot of good advice regarding the top handle. Your bags are very beautiful ❤️

Thank you all for your responses!!! I have decided on the cc chanel handle in the mini size!! I got it in quilted caviar in black with SHW. My SA was able to find me one so im super lucky. Thank you all for your advice!!

Reactions: thkred
Great choice! I too perpetually have that "but I should buy a classic flap"...but honestly I don't like the bag! I have one coco handle and just recently bought the small 19 bag...again both have a handle and the 19 also crossbodies...so I'm in heaven with that bag!

Reactions: Rose0303
I know that dilemma! I’m still saving for my first classic flap too but I get carried away by the other bags.
My first Chanel was a Boy because I was just in love with the design when it first came out! I’m still in my twenties and I’d thought the Boy would suit me better. Then I got the coco handle... and I’m thinking of getting a Gabrielle backpack soon! The classic just gets deferred for me although my brain keeps telling me that I should get it before another price increase.
At the end of the day it really depends on which bag sings more to your heart!

Reactions: thkred and Rose0303
I know that dilemma! I’m still saving for my first classic flap too but I get carried away by the other bags.
My first Chanel was a Boy because I was just in love with the design when it first came out! I’m still in my twenties and I’d thought the Boy would suit me better. Then I got the coco handle... and I’m thinking of getting a Gabrielle backpack soon! The classic just gets deferred for me although my brain keeps telling me that I should get it before another price increase.
At the end of the day it really depends on which bag sings more to your heart!
Im in my 20s too! I do like the classic soo much but i just rly love the top handle. I think ill get the classic later but the price increases make me so sad :sad:(