Coco Handle Metal Issue

Alliiccee

Jan 24, 2016
Hi everyone, please bear with me! It’s very long.

I got a coco handle right when they first came out a few years ago.

I noticed recently that the metal clips has corroding and it “melted”. I’m not sure what the correct term is for it?

Even the gold part rubbed onto the leather under near the clip holes. I did not leave the strap clipped in whenever I did not use it, and I did not overstuff it with a lot of items. So I’m not sure why it would even create this indention.

I’ve attached photos below.

It’s already been sent to Chanel and they sent it to their repair and they told me the black part would be fixed complimentary since it shouldn’t have happened, but they told me the chain cannot be fixed and the only thing they said would be to replace the whole strap which has a cost.

My question is, do you think that repair should replace the strap complimentary or I should pay for it? I feel like the repair center knows that the metal is “bad” which is why they said it cannot be fixed. None of my other bags have this issue but this is the only one with aged gold hardware, so I’m not sure if thats why?

Thanks for reading and I would love to hear your thoughts!

1918F452-C480-4F23-A342-0B36ECFD5748.jpeg

4F332C55-7BB3-4029-80A2-F8188A1AED84.jpeg

C51CFB3A-7D2F-4903-A6B5-F73565DECEBD.jpeg

36677074-AAC5-4603-867A-98ACBA76F2BB.jpeg

19877FA6-C31D-4A40-B346-32DCB1131196.jpeg

A4BDDE51-89E0-4339-9B38-680335883BF5.jpeg

79889F9C-0031-4033-AB18-50FCDBC7428C.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a weird one. Never saw anything like this before. They can't just put new clips on your strap? That I don't understand. As for free replacement strap or not, I'm afraid it's going to be their call since it is a few years old. However I do have to agree that since they know that whatever's going on there caused the damage to the leather that they are willing to repair, it would only seem fair. How is the rest of the HW on the strap? The turnlock?

That is a weird one. Never saw anything like this before. They can't just put new clips on your strap? That I don't understand. As for free replacement strap or not, I'm afraid it's going to be their call since it is a few years old. However I do have to agree that since they know that whatever's going on there caused the damage to the leather that they are willing to repair, it would only seem fair. How is the rest of the HW on the strap? The turnlock?
The turnlock is okay, didn’t see much issue besides the fading of the “gold”. I don’t understand either why they couldn’t just replace the clips either. They only suggested to provide a new strap because it was deemed “not fixable”. Yes, I’m not sure why they couldn’t just repair all of it if they believe the gold part rubbing onto the leather is not supposed to happen.

I’m just annoyed that I had to pay at all when I feel like it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.

The turnlock is okay, didn’t see much issue besides the fading of the “gold”. I don’t understand either why they couldn’t just replace the clips either. They only suggested to provide a new strap because it was deemed “not fixable”. Yes, I’m not sure why they couldn’t just repair all of it if they believe the gold part rubbing onto the leather is not supposed to happen.

I’m just annoyed that I had to pay at all when I feel like it shouldn’t have happened in the first place.
I wonder if they just think the rubbing on the leather is easier to fix, and that's why it complimentary/free of charge. Overall though, I feel like they see this as 'wear and tear', especially the gold rubbing off.
The dent or melting in the clasp/clip though, it looks like a chip? I def don't think that's normal...

Yes the gold "rubbing off" is very common to the aged gold HW, so that would be normal and they wouldn't fix that per say. But WTF are those indents?
agreed. The indents are concerning and definitely not normal wear and tear. I don’t think you should have to pay for that

RIGHT?? That’s what I’m saying, how could that have happened?? I put a cardholder, car key, chapstick, sunglasses that come in flat pouch suede pouch. Those things are not heavy and should not cause any indents into the metal. It makes me think the metal is weak and therefore if I even consider putting anything else heavy... the clasps would break. So they suggest a new leather chain since the clasps are not “fixable”. I thought that it was unfair for me to pay for it when I don’t even use it that often and I don’t even put anything heavy in there!

Reactions: lil_twin_stars
Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I’m contemplating to buy a coco handle medium size n I saw this YouTube video where the lady has the exact same problem u r saying.

U can check out her link.

is yours in medium size too? I think the metal link is too thin, hence causing the concentrated rubbing on the clasps n leading to the indentations.

D635FC45-0912-471C-B6BD-5CF19E15166A.png

Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience.

I’m contemplating to buy a coco handle medium size n I saw this YouTube video where the lady has the exact same problem u r saying.

U can check out her link.

is yours in medium size too? I think the metal link is too thin, hence causing the concentrated rubbing on the clasps n leading to the indentations.

View attachment 4820297

thanks for your message! Mine is a small compared to her medium. I wonder if this issue mainly towards aged gold? If I got one with light gold, would the quality be better? I do think the metal is a bit thin causing the indentation in the metal.

However, watching her video, she actually puts a lot more items in her bag than I do. So weight could also be an issue in creating that chip.

my bag is still currently with the boutique and has not come back yet. So we will see when they receive it back.

I do believe you should still get the coco handle because it is a lovely bag, I would not get it with aged gold though, fear of the same thing happening!

Reactions: lil_twin_stars
thanks for your message! Mine is a small compared to her medium. I wonder if this issue mainly towards aged gold? If I got one with light gold, would the quality be better? I do think the metal is a bit thin causing the indentation in the metal.

However, watching her video, she actually puts a lot more items in her bag than I do. So weight could also be an issue in creating that chip.

my bag is still currently with the boutique and has not come back yet. So we will see when they receive it back.

I do believe you should still get the coco handle because it is a lovely bag, I would not get it with aged gold though, fear of the same thing happening!

Thanks for your advice n encouragement! It is indeed a beautiful n classy bag. I like the fact that it can hold more stuff than the classic double flaps. N the handle makes it so lady =)