New 'rules' for buying quota bags UK?

Feb 22, 2020
I dont know if this is a global thing or just UK based and I only heard about it today so I'm putting it out there to ask if anyone else has been told about it.
Today I was chatting to the SA in Hermes about a client of mine who was planning to buy a dinner service in the hope of obtaining either a Kelly or Birkin (the client knew I have a good relationship with the team and wanted me to put feelers out for her before she put the order in for the tableware , I'll add here that she already brought a Kelly in a store with no previous client profile 3 years ago just by asking).
The SA told me that the rules have changed for quota bags and that now a client has to go in person to a store and fill out a wishlist (ie; 1st choice kelly Sellier Epsom leather etc etc) and that when that store receives the spec's that are on the wishlist they will then work through the list calling the next in line who has asked for it.
Apparently previous spend has no influence its just like a waiting game and you have to be around to collect the bag in person to buy it at that store (one assumes ID would be required).
To me this sounds fairer and more like the 'system' Hermes had in the 90's when As a customer buying very low value items a few times a year (scarves, Hapi, fragrance) I happened to mention to my SA my dream bag was a Birkin in Raisin and about 18months later I received a call to say one had arrived in the store and would I like it? sadly because I was buying my 1st property at that time I had to turn it down...but that 'used' to be the way it worked nothing to do with making lots of High value purchases.
Has anyone else heard about this? I'm assuming its in order to stop resellers buying lots of items in order to build a profile and 'score' (I hate that word!) a bag
I also assume it is solely aimed at newer clients who only want to buy a quota bag. I think you can only go on a wishlist at one store.

I dont know if this is a global thing or just UK based and I only heard about it today so I'm putting it out there to ask if anyone else has been told about it.
Today I was chatting to the SA in Hermes about a client of mine who was planning to buy a dinner service in the hope of obtaining either a Kelly or Birkin (the client knew I have a good relationship with the team and wanted me to put feelers out for her before she put the order in for the tableware , I'll add here that she already brought a Kelly in a store with no previous client profile 3 years ago just by asking).
The SA told me that the rules have changed for quota bags and that now a client has to go in person to a store and fill out a wishlist (ie; 1st choice kelly Sellier Epsom leather etc etc) and that when that store receives the spec's that are on the wishlist they will then work through the list calling the next in line who has asked for it.
Apparently previous spend has no influence its just like a waiting game and you have to be around to collect the bag in person to buy it at that store (one assumes ID would be required).
To me this sounds fairer and more like the 'system' Hermes had in the 90's when As a customer buying very low value items a few times a year (scarves, Hapi, fragrance) I happened to mention to my SA my dream bag was a Birkin in Raisin and about 18months later I received a call to say one had arrived in the store and would I like it? sadly because I was buying my 1st property at that time I had to turn it down...but that 'used' to be the way it worked nothing to do with making lots of High value purchases.
Has anyone else heard about this? I'm assuming its in order to stop resellers buying lots of items in order to build a profile and 'score' (I hate that word!) a bag
I also assume it is solely aimed at newer clients who only want to buy a quota bag. I think you can only go on a wishlist at one store.

Two UK YouTubers also mentioned this recently in their Hermes unboxing videos.

This is definitely the case in Bond Street now, even for long term established clients.
Why would they want to do so? That means if someone who was new to the store and just pop in and ask to put down his wish list, he may get the bag he wants earlier than someone who is a long established client who put down his wish list a bit later than this guy?

Not sure its something very new or not in my home store (Poland) but I jumped over many clients waiting and got B & K & C within 6 months due to relatively high spend. For sure it would be fairer but can’t believe they’ll give up the game... lol
Though my SA said something interesting to my friend who wishlisted earlier than me but still nothing - she should put only one specific specs, 2 various colours made her being deprioritised

Could be a UK thing to up sales atm, or it could be offering the illusion of hope to new customers in the hope it will be to bring them into the store and buy something meanwhile that takes their fancy.

Either way, it's not contractual so it's an incentive.

Perhaps even with quota bags they are getting too many requests for certain specs and not enough for others, or perhaps it is finding our what customers want in general before buying trips, so for example, if someone has in mind a Gold Clemence Kelly 35 H will know about it on top of the other requests for Rose 'x' togo 25.

Perhaps even with quota bags they are getting too many requests for certain specs and not enough for others, or perhaps it is finding our what customers want in general before buying trips, so for example, if someone has in mind a Gold Clemence Kelly 35 H will know about it on top of the other requests for Rose 'x' togo 25.
This is what I was thinking, that a system like this would favor those not going for the more popular specifications... me like that :P

Interesting...
Does that mean that you are only offered a bag if it fully coincides with the specifications in your list? How many bags can you put down?
I got the impression it was one maximum two-out of curiosity I had my SA check the prices of the spec bags that I would want to wishlist-turns out in a 35cm Birkin since Barenia was only available in natural (I wanted black) the only non grained leather I could wishlist was Box and even then I dont think I had many colour options available.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
This is what I was thinking, that a system like this would favor those not going for the more popular specifications... me like that :P
Me too! The SA suggested to me that about 8 months after putting in my wish-list I'd probably receive a call.
I haven't gone on the list as due to the recession looming in the UK I'm looking at the preloved route.

Could be a UK thing to up sales atm, or it could be offering the illusion of hope to new customers in the hope it will be to bring them into the store and buy something meanwhile that takes their fancy.

Either way, it's not contractual so it's an incentive.

good point...It certainly gives them a heads up as to in demand colours and specs.