Selfridges & YSL - experiences?

cece123

Jul 6, 2020
Hi all! I’ve heard of Selfridges before and know it’s quite reputable in the UK but WOW - the trustpilot reviews about ordering online from them are just awful.

Before taking the plunge and ordering/hoping for the best - has anyone in the US ordered from them before and had a good experience? I’ve seen some good deals for Saint Laurent bags there but they go out of stock pretty quickly and I keep missing them because of my hesitations.

Super tempted to try and snag some of the good deals but not at the expense of having my funds tied up while the order processes only to have it be cancelled OR receive an incorrect/faulty item then have to pay out of pocket for an international return and wait weeks for a refund to process (which seem to be the most common complaints on trustpilot).

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: hs13
I am in Canada and ordered my Black on Black LouLou from them. It came within 3 days of ordering, perfectly wrapped in its protected wrapping, with a YSL bag (no box). I snatched it up when it was on sale in May as a b-day gift to myself so I was happy with the quick delivery and that it came brand new.

Reactions: cece123
Hi all! I’ve heard of Selfridges before and know it’s quite reputable in the UK but WOW - the trustpilot reviews about ordering online from them are just awful.

Before taking the plunge and ordering/hoping for the best - has anyone in the US ordered from them before and had a good experience? I’ve seen some good deals for Saint Laurent bags there but they go out of stock pretty quickly and I keep missing them because of my hesitations.

Super tempted to try and snag some of the good deals but not at the expense of having my funds tied up while the order processes only to have it be cancelled OR receive an incorrect/faulty item then have to pay out of pocket for an international return and wait weeks for a refund to process (which seem to be the most common complaints on trustpilot).

Thanks in advance!

I ordered a medium loulou from Selfridges on 6/20, and had it in my possession on 6/24. Customer service was great, and the tracking info from DHL was updated regularly. Just one thing to be aware of is in regards to returns. When ordering from another country of residence (ie. not England) and you decide to return your item, Selfridge’s will only refund you the amount paid for the actual merchandise. You are responsible for recouping the taxes/import fees from your government. I looked around for a while, trying to figure out how to get my $$ back from the US government, and it seems like a gigantic PITA. I ended up exchanging my medium loulou for a small at the YSL boutique by me because it seemed like a far less stressful ordeal. So moral of the story is, I wouldn’t order anything unless you’re sure you’re going to keep it (unless you’re confident that you’ll be able to get your taxes/duty fees back from the US gov’t).

I have purchased quite a few times from them, including a Toy LouLou several months ago. My experiences are always positive.

My Toy LouLou is black with silver hardware. Somehow it only cost $941, duty included, which is $300 cheaper than any other site. And it is a permanent collection color!!

Shipping is very fast. Luckily I have not needed to return anything yet.

I am in Canada and ordered my Black on Black LouLou from them. It came within 3 days of ordering, perfectly wrapped in its protected wrapping, with a YSL bag (no box). I snatched it up when it was on sale in May as a b-day gift to myself so I was happy with the quick delivery and that it came brand new.
Thank you - good to know! Black on black LouLou is gorgeous btw, hope you had a great b-day :smile:

I have purchased quite a few times from them, including a Toy LouLou several months ago. My experiences are always positive.

My Toy LouLou is black with silver hardware. Somehow it only cost $941, duty included, which is $300 cheaper than any other site. And it is a permanent collection color!!

Shipping is very fast. Luckily I have not needed to return anything yet.
Amazing! I have noticed a lot of items I've seen on their site seem to be cheaper than the US retail prices, even when not on sale. And duty was included? I think I might be convinced haha

I ordered a medium loulou from Selfridges on 6/20, and had it in my possession on 6/24. Customer service was great, and the tracking info from DHL was updated regularly. Just one thing to be aware of is in regards to returns. When ordering from another country of residence (ie. not England) and you decide to return your item, Selfridge’s will only refund you the amount paid for the actual merchandise. You are responsible for recouping the taxes/import fees from your government. I looked around for a while, trying to figure out how to get my $$ back from the US government, and it seems like a gigantic PITA. I ended up exchanging my medium loulou for a small at the YSL boutique by me because it seemed like a far less stressful ordeal. So moral of the story is, I wouldn’t order anything unless you’re sure you’re going to keep it (unless you’re confident that you’ll be able to get your taxes/duty fees back from the US gov’t).
Oh wow - yeah, that was one of my main hesitations! Having to potentially eat the cost of taxes/import fees is enough to keep me second guessing... feedback otherwise seems to be positive though and that's great about the speedy shipping - I'll heed your advice and only purchase if I'm 110% about something. Thank you for your help!

Reactions: nycgirl79
I ordered a Kate from them and it came in perfect condition with all protective wrappings. It was in the YSL dust bag and a Selfridge’s dust bag. I would say to make sure you’re certain that you want the bag you order that way you don’t have to worry about the inconvenience of returning the bag overseas.

Oh wow - yeah, that was one of my main hesitations! Having to potentially eat the cost of taxes/import fees is enough to keep me second guessing... feedback otherwise seems to be positive though and that's great about the speedy shipping - I'll heed your advice and only purchase if I'm 110% about something. Thank you for your help!

No problem! Happy to help!

I purchased a YSL Lou Lou puffer 3 weeks ago, and it arrived in 3 business days. I did alot of research first, thanks to this forum and reviews elsewhere. I needed to be sure I wanted the bag to avoid losing money on duty fees. I would not hesitate to order from Selfridges again!

I’ve ordered several bags from Selfridges and save hundreds vs USA prices each time. Also signed up for the unlimited shipping for one year for 40 pounds ~$50. My bags arrive via DHL in 2-3 business days to USA directly from Birmingham UK. Beautiful service and their customer service line is super helpful IMO. When you purchase from Selfridges, it automatically removes the UK VAT and adds in any taxes and customs fees for your country. They do all the work for you! Highly recommend.

I ordered the medium envelope flap bag in dark beige from Selfridges on Thursday and received it today. The service and delivery was excellent and it was very well wrapped and packaged. It came with the ysl dust bag and they also sent me a Selfridges dust bag.
There was no ysl box but I had paid $6 for the gift box , just in case.
Will definitely order from them again.

22784FBF-6A24-4803-B7BC-22BBF41E1C84.jpeg

5F489E5C-CF71-4A70-8655-E7B9234588F7.jpeg

Reactions: cece123 and ElenaTS
I ordered the medium envelope flap bag in dark beige from Selfridges on Thursday and received it today. The service and delivery was excellent and it was very well wrapped and packaged. It came with the ysl dust bag and they also sent me a Selfridges dust bag.
There was no ysl box but I had paid $6 for the gift box , just in case.
Will definitely order from them again.

View attachment 4821182

View attachment 4821183
Wow, so gorgeous!! Very impressed with how quick the shipping is and the double dust bags!

Reactions: Shopaholic 1705
I’ve ordered several bags from Selfridges and save hundreds vs USA prices each time. Also signed up for the unlimited shipping for one year for 40 pounds ~$50. My bags arrive via DHL in 2-3 business days to USA directly from Birmingham UK. Beautiful service and their customer service line is super helpful IMO. When you purchase from Selfridges, it automatically removes the UK VAT and adds in any taxes and customs fees for your country. They do all the work for you! Highly recommend.
Super helpful, thank you :smile: Think I’ll do the unlimited shipping too if I end up ordering from them!

I’m in the process of returning to make an exchange. Did you recoup your fees?? If so, how did you go about it?