Selling your bags and slg’s regrets?

Jun 27, 2015
Hello,

My bag tastes and needs have changed over the years. I was contemplating selling certain items, but I’m afraid of regretting my decision. If I sell the items for roughly what I paid for it, I feel ok about it, but when the quotes are for a loss, I struggle with my decision to sell. For those of you who have sold bags and slgs at a loss, did you ever regret your decision and what advice would you have for someone who is unsure about selling the bags and slg’s they no longer use. Thank you!

Reactions: RT1
There were several items I had a hard time to let them go, not because sold at a loss but I knew it will be difficult if not impossible to get them again in the condition they were. But I still sold them because I knew it was the best decision made at that time. Maybe it will be easier to make the decision just for the moment don't think too far away unless your item is in the classic line, then it's matter of how long can you afford to sit on them.

Last edited:
There were several items I had a hard time to let them go, not because sold at a loss but I knew it will be difficult if not impossible to get them again in the condition they were. But I still sold them because I knew it was the best decision made at that time. Maybe it will be easier to make the decision just for the moment don't think too far away unless your item is in the classic line, then it's matter of how long can you afford to sit on them.

That’s great advice. Its more of letting go of things I no longer use. Like a wallet on a chain. I love it, but have only used it a handful of times in the last 6 years, so is it worth keeping.

That’s great advice. Its more of letting go of things I no longer use. Like a wallet on a chain. I love it, but have only used it a handful of times in the last 6 years, so is it worth keeping.
That's an older model WOC. No, not worth keeping, unless it's black caviar leather quilted then it depends on how much you are going to loose

It’s a patent leather one from the Paris-Dallas collection. I love it, but it sits around collecting dust because it’s Honestly too small. Fp quoted me 1200 for it, 100 less than a speedy I sold them! (Unbelievable!) My woc was my first Chanel, but it’s too small for me. But I love it, I just don’t use it. If I travel- when I do travel again, i use larger bags.

Funny you post this. I haven't been on this forum much lately, but used to post quite frequently. I recently sold 3 Chanel pieces (2 minis and a card holder) for the first time (to Fashiophile). My collection had simply become too much (20+ bags and 7 SLGs) and I needed a clean out. Truth be told, I could easily let go of a couple more bags and one or two more SLGs and may do just so. It's too soon to say if I will ultimately regret selling, but I am feeling pretty good about my decision so far. Right now, my only regret is not getting a family photo before I sold LOL I made a bit of a profit, which helps, but I think even if I had taken a small loss (maybe up to 20%) I would fee the same way since I was able to use and enjoy the pieces while they suited my lifestyle. I could have made a much higher profit if I was willing to sell myself, but the hassle is just not worth it to me. Good luck with your decision.

Funny you post this. I haven't been on this forum much lately, but used to post quite frequently. I recently sold 3 Chanel pieces (2 minis and a card holder) for the first time (to Fashiophile). My collection had simply become too much (20+ bags and 7 SLGs) and I needed a clean out. Truth be told, I could easily let go of a couple more bags and one or two more SLGs and may do just so. It's too soon to say if I will ultimately regret selling, but I am feeling pretty good about my decision so far. Right now, my only regret is not getting a family photo before I sold LOL I made a bit of a profit, which helps, but I think even if I had taken a small loss (maybe up to 20%) I would fee the same way since I was able to use and enjoy the pieces while they suited my lifestyle. I could have made a much higher profit if I was willing to sell myself, but the hassle is just not worth it to me. Good luck with your decision.

This is a great reply. Part of my desire to sell is the sheer guilt I feel at having more than one expensive purse when purse buying happens over time and under various circumstances and not all bags can be used daily. Before Covid, I started using my small lamb boy to go grocery shopping. I used to baby the bag but when I realized I was only using for 1-2 events a year, I realized I needed to use it more frequently. (I got it 5 years ago).

I have a few items on the fence about selling- my flap card case (I prefer using my calvi because it’s smaller), my passport case (I bought right before Covid thinking I was traveling), woc, and some Louis Vuitton slg’s that I bought between 2010 and 2015.

I’m personally done purchasing bags and slg’s, after the last round of price increases.

I'm not sure if it's mid-life crisis LOL or covid. But I sold 20+ bags and slgs (Chanel and LV) within 2 years to Fashionfile and Yoogi. Most of them are new and never used. Some of the losses such as the reissue black medium size camera bag purchased 3K more than 10 years ago for $1500, 19K black mini reissue $3500 for $3100 to an IG seller, etc. Some I did made a little $ but majority were a loss. I was not happy with most of the quotes but then ask myself if I will use it? or will it just sit there? Bought them thinking to give them to my only daughter but her comment was "These are old lady bag and not her style". Sold them and never look back.

I sold a Diana bag through the real real and deeply regret it. I didn’t get nearly the value back for it and their commission is so high. I couldn’t wear it cross body so felt like it was wasters, but I should have just held on to that and two other pieces I sold through them. Lesson learned! I am looking to sell a Chanel camera bag now (I want to replace with a more classic piece) and am taking the advice I see here and in the other threads on who to try to sell through!!

Reactions: lulilu and RT1
I'm not sure if it's mid-life crisis LOL or covid. But I sold 20+ bags and slgs (Chanel and LV) within 2 years to Fashionfile and Yoogi. Most of them are new and never used. Some of the losses such as the reissue black medium size camera bag purchased 3K more than 10 years ago for $1500, 19K black mini reissue $3500 for $3100 to an IG seller, etc. Some I did made a little $ but majority were a loss. I was not happy with most of the quotes but then ask myself if I will use it? or will it just sit there? Bought them thinking to give them to my only daughter but her comment was "These are old lady bag and not her style". Sold them and never look back.

Sounds like my situation! I’m glad you have no regrets. I will probably end up selling them.

Reactions: love2shop2 and RT1
I sold a Diana bag through the real real and deeply regret it. I didn’t get nearly the value back for it and their commission is so high. I couldn’t wear it cross body so felt like it was wasters, but I should have just held on to that and two other pieces I sold through them. Lesson learned! I am looking to sell a Chanel camera bag now (I want to replace with a more classic piece) and am taking the advice I see here and in the other threads on who to try to sell through!!

I sell through fashionphile and rebag. Sometimes rebag offers more money. Both send checks. I’m sorry you regret selling your Diana.

Reactions: RT1 and Keight@8
a good condition black diana sells more than $3,000, I saw a couple of them newly listed for over $4,000. I had never sold anything to realreal, do they give you money upfront?

I have way too many designer bags and not using them that much. With CV and lack of recreational travel, dining out, etc.. I am in process of selling bags, shoes and SLG's. I know it will be a loss.

My niece has no interest in my bags and her foot is so much smaller than mine, no reason to pass down some of my designer shoes.

After all the selling, I have one regret, a LV small noe and wish I held into my CF medium and sold that for a bit of profit.

Reactions: RT1 and love2shop2
I have way too many designer bags and not using them that much. With CV and lack of recreational travel, dining out, etc.. I am in process of selling bags, shoes and SLG's. I know it will be a loss.

My niece has no interest in my bags and her foot is so much smaller than mine, no reason to pass down some of my designer shoes.

After all the selling, I have one regret, a LV small noe and wish I held into my CF medium and sold that for a bit of profit.

Last year I had all the leather changed on my LV petit noe and paid $650 plus tax for the repair. A month later sold it to fashionphile for $750. Yep must be mid-life crisis.

During the pass 3 years I usually have a purge of 5 to 10 bags of all brands. All of them were a loss but I couldn't justify them sitting around when I wanted a new bag.
Chanel bags I sold included a grey chevron Boy bag, pink mini square, WOC caviar in black. I don't regret them as I replaced with a grey Trendy, WOC in red caviar and navy blue Mini rectangular. I would say I loss around 30% from the price I paid. The WOC however did well as it was 10 yrs old and I had worn to death and unpuffy but only loss about 15%
I have mainly suffered losses with my sales so unfortunately the ugly truth is that Handbags are not investment as they claim unless they are unicorn pieces such as the mermaid, so black editions. Slgs are the worst culprits too, you are lucky to recoup half.
My advice is to ask yourself honestly why you want to let the go? Do you have a new bag in mind which you think will love more or use? and be sure that you won't likely buy the item again.
The only regret I sold was my 12 year old lady dior in patent for like £800. Now I want a new lady dior bag but the prices are x4