Are some brands less risky to get preloved?

Gamander

Mar 19, 2020
I'm feeling pretty scared to buy anything pre-loved especially premier designers that fetch $1000s on the preloved market because of the risk of getting a fake bag. Although my feeling is the risk would be higher with more expensive brands because scammers are more likely to put in more work since they will make more money selling a fake premier designer bag than a designer whose bags are not as expensive. I have seen some of the premier designer fakes look really good (although I'm not an expert and pretty new to the more expensive designer handbags). I would be worried that even with authentication some preloved sites do that a fake could still get through, and i would have spent $$$ for a fake bag.

Do you think it's safer with contemporary brands bags to get preloved (thinking Tory Burch, Kate Spade, Coach etc.) since the likelihood is the fake would not be as well done (easier to spot by amateur), and people are less likely to scam with those bags since they don't bring in as much money. Or do you think the likelihood is just as high that you could get a fake and not realize.

Interested to hear your thoughts if you feel there are well done fakes for contemporary designers as well. And are you comfortable buying premier brands (over $1000 bags) preloved and do you feel there is some risk even with good authenticators out there.

Anything that's in demand is going to be faked, some better than others.

But the good thing is that as a buyer, you have protection.

Some buyers hesitate to have items authenticated before purchasing because of the risk of losing the item to another buyer who lurks and sees the authentication.

Although it's a risk, it's less hassle than buying, paying, waiting to receive, then possibly finding out after the fact that you received a fake. (You might also learn that it's genuine!) But if fake, you do have protection by opening a dispute and requesting a return. Although some sites are better than others in protecting buyers and/or sellers, generally buyer protection is good. You can add an extra layer of protection by funding the payment with a credit card (though PP) though that would be your last resort in a dispute.

Don't base your buying decisions on brands and pricepoints because you believe certain brands or price levels to be "safer."

Consider the brands and items you want and do your homework -- vet seller, feedback, authenticity, etc. -- preferably before buying and be an educated consumer.

I don't think the contemporary brands are any less susceptible than luxury ones. I recall that I never wanted a MK bag because there were so many replicas around - I've since bought many, but he is widely copied and sits at a low price point. No brand is immune imo, especially if they are known worldwide - the greater the name recognition the more likely they are copied. I buy preloved all the time, you just need to find a site you trust.

Reactions: 880 and Gamander
Anything that's in demand is going to be faked, some better than others.

But the good thing is that as a buyer, you have protection.

Some buyers hesitate to have items authenticated before purchasing because of the risk of losing the item to another buyer who lurks and sees the authentication.

Although it's a risk, it's less hassle than buying, paying, waiting to receive, then possibly finding out after the fact that you received a fake. (You might also learn that it's genuine!) But if fake, you do have protection by opening a dispute and requesting a return. Although some sites are better than others in protecting buyers and/or sellers, generally buyer protection is good. You can add an extra layer of protection by funding the payment with a credit card (though PP) though that would be your last resort in a dispute.

Don't base your buying decisions on brands and pricepoints because you believe certain brands or price levels to be "safer."

Consider the brands and items you want and do your homework -- vet seller, feedback, authenticity, etc. -- preferably before buying and be an educated consumer.

Wow thanks for this detailed answer. I guess I was hoping that less expensive brands might be easier to spot fakes, or there might not be as many going around. But it seems like that's not the case. As much as I like the idea of buying preloved, I'm not sure for a less expensive brand it's worth it to do all the research if I'm able to find something new that I like. Or at least it has to be an item that I really want and am willing to put the time in. I was hoping it might be ok to have a spur of the moment purchase on a preloved site, without doing all the homework first.

For more expensive items I would definitely want to put the effort in to research the bag, and how to spot fakes for the brand and find the best authenticator site. I’m pretty risk adverse so my gut feeling is still that if I’m spending a lot of money that it’s too much risk that it might be a fake and not identified as such during authentication (although this might be an unfounded opinion haha). I would feel uneasy spending thousands of dollars and there still being some risk that it was misidentified as authentic.

Reactions: 880
For resellers, there is a recommended reseller list and a discuss resellers on this forum. There is authentication here or by private party. Many of us think the vintage bags were better made, higher quality and s9metimes of materials no longer available today. I buy both boutique and vintage preloved. JMO

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Hurrem1001 and RT1
I think it's not just brand, but style. As BeenBurned mentioned, it's what is in demand. Older Bottega Veneta bags I feel safe buying preloved. But no way I would buy any of the BV Pouch bags preloved for at least the next several years. Certain Gucci bags, I'd buy preloved, but not the new Jackie bag. LV I wouldn't buy anything pre-loved. Chanel, I wouldn't by a classic flap or Boy preloved. Michael Kors, I wouldn't by anything preloved.

I think if you are savvy, detailed in your research, willing to trust you intuition and willing to go through the hassle of sending back a fake when you receive it then buying pre-loved is always worth it! Personally, I stick to buying vintage pre-loved. I would only ever buy pre-loved Chanel as the quality of those bags is higher (in my opinion). I also only buy preloaded LV as I don’t prefer vachetta with some patina.