Bag charms—the struggle!

jill39

O.G.
Apr 6, 2008
Hi all!
Have a love hate relationship with bag charms! I love the way they look—so cute!! But then when I clip one on my bag—I immediately take it off! My friend wears them all the time but I just have them waiting to be used! Thinking of letting them go—but then I think one day I’ll use them! And they are just so cute! Lol. The struggle is real! Maybe they are not for me!! Anyone else struggle with bag charms?

I know, sometimes I think they are too much or too tacky. Depends on my mood. I have gotten lots of compliments on them though, so I think most people like them.

I agree! I like the way they look on my friend's bags. I don't know why I'm not using them. I tend to just switch out of a bag, and not add a bag charm. If I do, then I end up taking it off. So, I find myself looking at some adorable bag charms that I don't use! I am wondering if there are some people who just never use or don't buy bag charms.

Reactions: mocktail
I am a bag charm enthusiast :smile: I like that a charm can add personality or uniqueness to a bag, especially to something like a speedy or NF which so many people have these days. I also use charms to help tie an outfit & my bag together, I like to coordinate and or play with color combos & charms can be a fun yet simple way to do that. I also collect charms & like unique or rare ones. I think LV & Fendi in particular have some really beautiful, exquisitely crafted charms that I just like to have because I think they are really lovely accessories. I also understand people not liking them or wanting them on their bag. I think ultimately charms are really about personal style & taste.

I am a bag charm enthusiast :smile: I like that a charm can add personality or uniqueness to a bag, especially to something like a speedy or NF which so many people have these days. I also use charms to help tie an outfit & my bag together, I like to coordinate and or play with color combos & charms can be a fun yet simple way to do that. I also collect charms & like unique or rare ones. I think LV & Fendi in particular have some really beautiful, exquisitely crafted charms that I just like to have because I think they are really lovely accessories. I also understand people not liking them or wanting them on their bag. I think ultimately charms are really about personal style & taste.

Very true! I think I have to just start using them!

I love bag charms, they add sparkles to bags and can dramatically change the look of some bags as if makeup or accessories effect to some people. And some bags' front and back look too similar, add a bag charm can let myself know which side is the front :biggrin:

The downside of it is they are quite expensive, the ones I have are not the most expensive but they still cost like half of a basic bag :yucky:

I want to like them for myself, but generally don't. I admire them on other people's bags, though!

I'm working on making one of my own with coins from different countries I've visited. My hope is that since it will have personal meaning for me, I will actually feel comfortable using it. Still waiting on a couple of coins from Etsy and I need to order a short chain from somewhere. I'm waiting for my first Mautto order to arrive before I decide if I will order a short chain from them to make my charm.

I want to like them for myself, but generally don't. I admire them on other people's bags, though!

I'm working on making one of my own with coins from different countries I've visited. My hope is that since it will have personal meaning for me, I will actually feel comfortable using it. Still waiting on a couple of coins from Etsy and I need to order a short chain from somewhere. I'm waiting for my first Mautto order to arrive before I decide if I will order a short chain from them to make my charm.

Very neat idea! So personal!

I love bag charms, they add sparkles to bags and can dramatically change the look of some bags as if makeup or accessories effect to some people. And some bags' front and back look too similar, add a bag charm can let myself know which side is the front :biggrin:

The downside of it is they are quite expensive, the ones I have are not the most expensive but they still cost like half of a basic bag :yucky:

They are super expensive for something so small!

I think maybe this is why I put them on, and then take them off. The bag can on its own--so true! I also dislike the noise--some of the metal ones make noise which I find annoying!
I have the same struggles, I want to use my metal ones which I spent so much on but found them noisy and adds extra weight to the bag... so I take them off. I end up using luggage tags more than anything else.

Reactions: mocktail and jill39
Here's my DIY bag charm. I think it turned out pretty well! Each coin is from a country my husband and I have visited and I tried to get a mix of metals so that I don't have to try to match the bag's hardware.

PXL_20200804_022741026.jpgPXL_20200804_022859300.jpgPXL_20200804_022921048.jpg

I used 7 coins and each cost me about $10, and the chain is a custom order from Mautto for about $35. So this cost a little over $100 to make. I couldn't handle $500 for one that had a bunch of logos (not knocking anyone! Obviously I was highly inspired by the LV chains).

Here's my DIY bag charm. I think it turned out pretty well! Each coin is from a country my husband and I have visited and I tried to get a mix of metals so that I don't have to try to match the bag's hardware.

View attachment 4808981View attachment 4808982View attachment 4808983

I used 7 coins and each cost me about $10, and the chain is a custom order from Mautto for about $35. So this cost a little over $100 to make. I couldn't handle $500 for one that had a bunch of logos (not knocking anyone! Obviously I was highly inspired by the LV chains).

Wow!!!! You are so talented!! This is amazing!! Thank you for sharing!!