Birth year vintage bag

whitew0lf

Jun 24, 2020
Hi all, I'm pretty new to the forum and am hoping this is the right place to post this, if not - please feel free to redirect me! :smile:

As per the title, I'm looking to add a bag from my birth year as my next big purchase, especially since I am very fond of vintage bags. I am looking at LV & Chanel currently, not just because they are the more well-known brands, but also because it has date codes/serial numbers that help me track the year it was produced. As I am quite new to vintage buying, I'm just wondering if anyone has any more brands to share that also has date codes, or even just any vintage designer bags recommendations that I should look into? :smile:

If anyone has a birth year bag story to share I'll be happy to hear about them too! :smile:

You can pinpoint the exact year of creation on a Hermes Kelly. I own one made on my birth year, that I cherish and is most definitely Vintage.

I know if you google the phrase, you'll get some results. Here is a good guide with dates for some of the brands

Get familiar with some styles you like, then research the ones from your years

I know if you google the phrase, you'll get some results. Here is a good guide with dates for some of the brands

Get familiar with some styles you like, then research the ones from your years

Thank you so much for sharing! I'll look into it! :smile:

I have a mono Speedy 35 from 1985, my birthyear. I love that bag ❤

Awww so happy that you found one in your birth year and that you love! :smile:

Reactions: misstrine85
Thank you so much for sharing! I'll look into it! :smile:

Awww so happy that you found one in your birth year and that you love! :smile:
I also have a toiletry bag in my birthyear and my DHs birthyear and month. Also by Louis Vuitton. The one from my year and my bag from my year are from the month before and the month after I was born. I would love to get something from my specific month, but I won’t buy just to buy.

You can't get very specific w/Chanel like you can with LV or H bags. Unless the Chanel is more recent and comes from a collection where you know the year/season it was released. I imagine most people on these boards want bags from 1970s-1990s, so it's harder to get accuracy with Chanel in those years, as the digits crossover and one series can cross into two years. What I did with Chanel when I wanted a 'birth year bag' was select a 19 series bag, so it was a recent release that I actually wanted and it fully contained my birth info in the numerical code. So it was (example) 19911703 meaning a birthdate code of March 17, 1991. I think with Chanel you're better off doing it that way, b/c then the bag is newer, too - if you want Chanel that is!

I also have a toiletry bag in my birthyear and my DHs birthyear and month. Also by Louis Vuitton. The one from my year and my bag from my year are from the month before and the month after I was born. I would love to get something from my specific month, but I won’t buy just to buy.

Yep definitely! For LV it's really nice that you can pinpoint down to the month or weeks!

You can't get very specific w/Chanel like you can with LV or H bags. Unless the Chanel is more recent and comes from a collection where you know the year/season it was released. I imagine most people on these boards want bags from 1970s-1990s, so it's harder to get accuracy with Chanel in those years, as the digits crossover and one series can cross into two years. What I did with Chanel when I wanted a 'birth year bag' was select a 19 series bag, so it was a recent release that I actually wanted and it fully contained my birth info in the numerical code. So it was (example) 19911703 meaning a birthdate code of March 17, 1991. I think with Chanel you're better off doing it that way, b/c then the bag is newer, too - if you want Chanel that is!

That is actually SO smart, I've never thought of it that way!! Thanks so much for sharing! Was it hard for you to narrow down to the exact serial number?

That is actually SO smart, I've never thought of it that way!! Thanks so much for sharing! Was it hard for you to narrow down to the exact serial number?
Not at all. I actually wasn't even looking, I found a bag I wanted and it just happened to match exactly. I wasn't looking to even do that. You have literally thousands of bags if you use the serial number though, because depending on what way you want the birthdate to read you have several series you can look at and that means years worth of stuff. Once I saw my own digits aligned perfectly I saw variations on the sequence a few other times.

Not at all. I actually wasn't even looking, I found a bag I wanted and it just happened to match exactly. I wasn't looking to even do that. You have literally thousands of bags if you use the serial number though, because depending on what way you want the birthdate to read you have several series you can look at and that means years worth of stuff. Once I saw my own digits aligned perfectly I saw variations on the sequence a few other times.

I see! Noted on that, once again thanks so much for sharing! :smile:

So the bag wasn't actually made in your birth year. Don't see how it helps OP