New Speedy reveal & spray

MyBelongs to Louis

My ❤️ Belongs to Louis
Sep 6, 2017
Happy Saturday all:smile:

I recently got the beautiful Speedy B25 & decided to treat/protect my vachetta this time. My last Speedy (classic 35) was my first Mono-vachetta bag, which I had left untreated, relying on the Patina champ method to keep its patina even coloured as it aged. This method was great at hiding watermarks for the first 3 years (while it darkened slowly) but after that it darkened at a surprisingly rapid pace (which I did NOT like). My Nice Bb & small luggage tag are darkened this way. This time, I would like my bag to darken evenly at a more natural rate:smile: I’m in Canada & found that Collonil Carbon Pro is the best option for this (Amazon $24.99). I’ve used Kiwi sprays in the past but find this much more effective. I hope you find this helpful, especially if you live in climates of intense & unpredictable seasons - heat, rain & lots of snow!

Demo pics:36B0F611-3CFD-4A13-BF2A-7F721A600C4F.jpeg

1B40ED6C-9A56-4DA5-B1C4-8F4082D3C551.jpeg44355638-22FC-4FE4-9D1B-21C2902F7CF1.jpeg

First coating: going back and forth 3 times (30cm angle as instructed). Look is very oily when wet. Shows up more in this process on darker vachetta but both dry down to original ‘softer’ untouched look. It’s invisible when dry & pretty impressive to me :smile:
B9D1A537-256D-420A-A0CF-17ABE60ACBFF.jpegDFB995FB-B2DB-4662-9FD9-86F579FBEC3D.jpeg

All pieces coated here + 1 fingertip watermark on Speedy lol (from water Qtips to clean hardware). The oily glaze is gone in 15 minutes but I will leave to dry overnight, repeating this process tomorrow.

I’ll share the final pics after completion of second coating. Cheers to new LV! :heart: 9D9C6023-F51A-4055-B53C-42522D0E1999.jpeg0FCF9B93-66C2-475C-A579-30FDEF0447FC.jpeg

I actually think that's a nice patina. Though I don't like when they get much darker than that.
It’s much darker in person. The thing with Patina Champ is you cannot stop the downward spiral of darkening - it goes from one day thinking “my patina looks beautiful ageing” to “OMG my bag looks so old!”. It’s great for anyone who likes 10year old vachetta look after a few years, just not for me.

Thanks for posting this! I’ve been considering using either Apple guard or collonil on my bags to protect it from the rain. I’m also in Vancouver where it rains non stop...even though I shouldn’t complain as we’ve had a lovely summer
Hello my fellow Canadian :smile: YW - glad I could help!

Great step-by-step instructions V — thanks for sharing :smile:. So your luggage tag and Nice are 3 years old and that’s how dark they got with the P Champ method? I have major hesitation in getting anything with vachetta due to the darkening issue (maybe I should be a “big girl“ about it and just try one time :lol:). I got one bag with vachetta a few years ago mistakenly thinking the darkening wouldn’t happen for like 10 years — imagine my surprise to see some light honey patina after a year! Your new SpeedyB is just gorgeous especially with the new vachetta.

Thanks for sharing!! I've been seeing ads for The Handbag Haven. Has anyone tried their protective stickers or the protective spray?
In the US so looking for anything will help my new Carryall from the abuse I hope it gets when we are allowed to travel again :sad:

I am looking to slow down the patina and prevent any water marks. Please let me know if Collonil Carbon Pro is good for this?

Last edited:
Reactions: MyBelongs to Louis
Thanks so much for appreciating my post, guys! :smile: I added this detailed demo b/c I couldn’t find one on TPF when I was researching the topic lol. Happy to help anyone else curious about taking the same risk. *Noting that I closed my eyes & crossed my fingers not knowing what to expect when I started spraying my brand new bag... Imagine how lucky I feel now? :yahoo: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just to clarify, I’ve used Kiwi on my Uggs only since Canada was limited in options for the longest time - I’ve never sprayed anything on my LV bags before. Cheers to worry-free vachetta!!

@DestinationD Hi we only have this reference thread but I love Carbon Pro’s results: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...top-do-you-recommend-kiwi-spray-also.1029653/
Thanks for sharing!
wow! Thanks for the review! I’m gonna try this product in my LV bags. I love it when the patina stays even, thought I don’t ever achieve it. There’s always a drop of something somewhere.
Awesome! Congrats!
Thanks for sharing!! I've been seeing ads for The Handbag Haven. Has anyone tried their protective stickers or the protective spray?
In the US so looking for anything will help my new Carryall from the abuse I hope it gets when we are allowed to travel again :sad:

I am looking to slow down the patina and prevent any water marks. Please let me know if Collonil Carbon Pro is good for this?

Last edited:
Great step-by-step instructions V — thanks for sharing :smile:. So your luggage tag and Nice are 3 years old and that’s how dark they got with the P Champ method? I have major hesitation in getting anything with vachetta due to the darkening issue (maybe I should be a “big girl“ about it and just try one time :lol:). I got one bag with vachetta a few years ago mistakenly thinking the darkening wouldn’t happen for like 10 years — imagine my surprise to see some light honey patina after a year! Your new SpeedyB is just gorgeous especially with the new vachetta.
Thank you very much IM :heart: I was guesstimating but just checked Nice’s datecode: 0147 - so yes, 3 years lol! In person patina looks like 10 years IMO. When I started Patina Champ I honestly thought it would darken a lot slower and more evenly paced than it did. Oh well, live & learn. Thanks for sharing your vachetta experience - I do hope you end up saying yes to it again via this protected route!! :smile: I’m so relieved it dried incredibly well and looks so inconspicuous... only slight darkening but for the waterproof trait, it’s totally worth the trade off :smile: Will post water droplet tests tomorrow too after 2nd coating is complete. Thanks again for your sweet compliment of my latest LV!
:heart::hugs::heart:

Hi dear, thank you for sharing. I am always interested with vachetta topic since I am a fan of clean vachetta look. I use patina champ on my bag, and so far I don’t have any problem with the faster color change or maybe my eyes blur ? Haha.. I don’t use patina champ since it was new piece, I only start to wipe it around 5 years ago. The first 4 years the bag is just as it is. But anyway, people have their own taste and to me, my 9 years old speedy still looking good. When I ordered this bag, they haven’t offered speedy B version and the inside color only standard speedy color, no option for color lining. I bought vachetta strap to make it easier as a baby bag.
I made this bag with my daughter initial when she was in my tummy and collect the bag when she was 1 week old. So yeah, the bag literally has the same age with her. And I use for baby bag for my 2nd daughter as well until now became my travel bag. I never baby this bag at all. Good investment.. :happydance:
AB1495DF-86BF-4779-B318-DC9760631A13.png

Hi dear, thank you for sharing. I am always interested with vachetta topic since I am a fan of clean vachetta look. I use patina champ on my bag, and so far I don’t have any problem with the faster color change or maybe my eyes blur ? Haha.. I don’t use patina champ since it was new piece, I only start to wipe it around 5 years ago. The first 4 years the bag is just as it is. But anyway, people have their own taste and to me, my 9 years old speedy still looking good. When I ordered this bag, they haven’t offered speedy B version and the inside color only standard speedy color, no option for color lining. I bought vachetta strap to make it easier as a baby bag.
I made this bag with my daughter initial when she was in my tummy and collect the bag when she was 1 week old. So yeah, the bag literally has the same age with her. And I use for baby bag for my 2nd daughter as well until now became my travel bag. I never baby this bag at all. Good investment.. :happydance:
View attachment 4807296
TFS! There’s a Patina Champ thread as well, I’m sure fans of this method will adore your pristine Speedy.

My cousin risked using her DA Speedy untouched for 2 years before trying anything - let’s just say her unplanned & very noticeable watermarks (getting caught in the rain) pushed me to wipe down my vachetta items straight away. This method is great as any darkened vachetta brushes off drips that happen but my first Speedy’s ageing process didn’t work out too well for me.

Nice that this forum offers such a range of LV solutions/advice :smile: Your sentimental background story was great as well - Cheers to mon Monogram!

Last edited:
Thanks for this posting. I purchased a new Neverful :graucho: and coated it 2 times with the Apple Guard. Noticed this Carbon has more a soft shine that I like, at least from the photos. I never used this Carbon one but your Speedy and tag look great.

Reactions: MyBelongs to Louis