too much makeup?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I don't have as much as a lot of women but sometimes I feel like I have too much makeup. Occasionally I'll go through and throw away lipstick that hasn't been used for a long time. I think maybe it's time to do this with blush. I have maybe 14. Some I hardly ever use.
Other than the fun of buying something new, what's the point of having so many similar items?

Reactions: BlueCherry
I have 3 sets:

Everyday paired-down for 'no time' (TM/sitck, mascara, lip-balm, perhaps concealer, occasionally taupe eyeshadow, finishing powder)

Everyday with more time (same make-up but with a few more added layers/bits such as primer, blush(er) or bronzer, and/or highlighter, lipstick or eyeshadow)

Then there's special occasion or when I just fancy which also includes blush(er).

If I had time I would use blusher every day, more so than lipstick for me.

Apart from some holiday gift face palettes (most of which I didn't choose) I have 2 YSL bronzers one with lots of corral as part of it, Guerlain bronzer that's much lighter with stripes of pale pink, a half blush(er)/bronzer from Topshop (very multi-task) and one real Chanel blusher that has 'ribbons' of pinks and corrals. That's my 5, discounting the deepest bronzer-only, that's 4. I have peach undertones and so can wear either pink or corral.

Are yours all different colours or are you just buying the same colour/shade range in different brands?

So 14 seems a lot (to me) unless you're a YTber/makeup artist.

You could give away ones you don't touch. If you have definite pink undertones you could give away the corral/orangey/tans and if golden-toned keep those and give away the pinks/mauves/ices.

If you find yourself buying basically the same colour, pick your favourite formula(s) whether satin, matte or sparkly and remove ones that have not lived up to the hype.

Don't for get with a very, very soft brush you can make a bright subtle whereas a stiffer or more compact one will intensify so you can diversify even with the same blush colour.

I used to (pre-March 2020) wear makeup 5 days a week and I like a variety to keep things fresh. I think I've made a good effort not buying the same shades from different companies (again like the variety). Since working from home I've kept myself from buying beauty and makeup products. Which is very hard since there have been so many sales the last few months. I also need to go through the collection and start throwing stuff out if I haven't touched it in 6-12 months. That is the goal for this month!

I think my problem is I discovered DS cosmetics and when I found something I liked I got multiples, some of which are too dark. I have some dept store blushes (Nars, MAC, etc) and about three or four each of ELF and a lovely maybelline shimmer brick thing. Should probably give away or throw away some.

Reactions: limom
I wear make up daily. I have:

1 foundation (right now Chanel)
1 kohl pencil (Lancôme)
2 lipsticks (Tom Ford & Hermes)
1 set bronzer/blush/highlighter (Naked UD)
1 eye shadow in a pot (Tom Ford)
1 eye shadow palette I got as a present and never use (Dior).

More than usual and that I need because of the Dior palette and the Hermes lipstick which I couldn’t resist buying before the TF was finished as it is my usual practice.
It is probably obvious I am not really into make up... :P

Reactions: papertiger

1 kohl pencil (Lancôme)

More than usual and that I need because of the Dior palette and the Hermes lipstick which I couldn’t resist buying before the TF was finished as it is my usual practice.
you don't have a lot but you have nice ones

I think my problem is I discovered DS cosmetics and when I found something I liked I got multiples, some of which are too dark. I have some dept store blushes (Nars, MAC, etc) and about three or four each of ELF and a lovely maybelline shimmer brick thing. Should probably give away or throw away some.

Start with those.

Nothing wrong with less expensive brands if the products are good - if you love the Maybelline, keep it.

but I see women on YT constantly say they bought 10 coz the eyeshadow palette or lipstick Rimmel was only $10 or $ 5 or whatever and how they can only dream of Pat McGrath or Chantecaille etc, but if they did the maths...

1 kohl pencil (Lancôme)

This is prefect in my book.

BTW, Dior usually make great eyeshadows, at least the 2 single ones I have.

I have too many eyeshadows and eyeshadow palettes but I've never had a powder eyeshadow turn on me. I've been using the same NARS blush from 2006 or so. I've hit pan but it hasn't gone bad yet... I guess I'm gross. Cream items are another story though, but I haven't had one turn on me either (probably preservatives).

I throw away my makeup periodically whenever I do a clean out once a year. I don't like overfilled drawers or countertops.

This is why I never buy multiples because even if the product is still fresh, I may not be in love with it anymore, for any reason or no reason at all! It makes more sense to me if you purchase a lot but they are all different shades.

I wear different makeup for different seasons. And multiple lipsticks for day or evening.

Anyway we are all talking about pre-March, how different life was back then.

I have too many eyeshadows and eyeshadow palettes but I've never had a powder eyeshadow turn on me. I've been using the same NARS blush from 2006 or so. I've hit pan but it hasn't gone bad yet... I guess I'm gross. Cream items are another story though, but I haven't had one turn on me either (probably preservatives).

Not gross, the shelf-life info is only recommended. Most important thing is to wash brushes, all else is to make us buy more products.

I think eyeshadow is my downfall. For work I have no time to even use anymore than one, if any.

I didn't have many eyeshadow palettes until a few years ago. I think I had FOMO over the UD Naked craze so eventually I bought the Essential all-matte version and for no good reason at all, also bought the all-metallic (Heavy Metals?) at the same time and on sale Lovely colours but lots of sparkle to get through.
So there I was, happy with my:
1 Neutral mattes &
2 Large palate of sparkly neural and colourful shades

Then Chanel came up with an everyday Ltd Ed small 9 pan, not sorry, great neutral shades, handy for travelling.
3 Travel palette of neutral shades in mixed formulas/finishes

Then a Charlotte Tilbury came up with a palette with Bowie-esque packaging. Also useful for travelling, small but 12 shades. I probably didn't need another shimmer palette at this point.
4. Travel palette of neutral/fairly wearable colour satiny-shimmery shades

THEN late to the party, I finally pulled the trigger on my first Pat McGrath Mothership 10 pan (always was going to get one, just didn't know which one and had to wait till they sold them where I could try)
THEN the coordinating 6 pan on line (Subliminal) Not sorry, but they're all-but-one dark so will take a long time to get through, probably didn't need this but didn't know I'd have more.
Then someone bought me another PMcG Ltd ED Mothership 4 pan. LOVE this, very party colours, look great layered too.
and finally DH bought me 2 more P McG Motherships (Rose Devine 1 & 2) buying himself out of a 'situation' LOL. That's a lot of pink eyeshadow

5 The 10 pan Mothership in cool tone neutrals &
6. The 6 pan extension of the above Mothership, all shimmer neutrals but mostly dark &
7. Party palette of 4 pan peacock colours &
8 Mothership Devine Rose &
9 Mothership Devine Rose II

I think that is too much. Certainly I will try to use them all as much as possible and resist anything more.

Last edited:
I had bits and pieces of so many things I bought on impulse or from cool advertising.

But the reality is I wear very little make up and I like a no make up look.

Since I found Trinny London it’s been a game changer. I now get told I look pretty by my boyfriend and he often thinks I’m wearing no make up. Not bad when I have 7 products on and pushing 50 lol.

It’s cream based and comes in little pots that stack, fab for travel too.

Not gross, the shelf-life info is only recommended. Most important thing is to wash brushes, all else is to make us buy more products.

I think eyeshadow is my downfall. For work I have no time to even use anymore than one, if any.

I didn't have many eyeshadow palettes until a few years ago. I think I had FOMO over the UD Naked craze so eventually I bought the Essential all-matte version and for no good reason at all, also bought the all-metallic (Heavy Metals?) at the same time and on sale Lovely colours but lots of sparkle to get through.
So there I was, happy with my:
1 Neutral mattes &
2 Large palate of sparkly neural and colourful shades

Then Chanel came up with an everyday Ltd Ed small 9 pan, not sorry, great neutral shades, handy for travelling.
3 Travel palette of neutral shades in mixed formulas/finishes

Then a Charlotte Tilbury came up with a palette with Bowie-esque packaging. Also useful for travelling, small but 12 shades. I probably didn't need another shimmer palette at this point.
4. Travel palette of neutral/fairly wearable colour satiny-shimmery shades

THEN late to the party, I finally pulled the trigger on my first Pat McGrath Mothership 10 pan (always was going to get one, just didn't know which one and had to wait till they sold them where I could try)
THEN the coordinating 6 pan on line (Subliminal) Not sorry, but they're all-but-one dark so will take a long time to get through, probably didn't need this but didn't know I'd have more.
Then someone bought me another PMcG Ltd ED Mothership 4 pan. LOVE this, very party colours, look great layered too.
and finally DH bought me 2 more P McG Motherships (Rose Devine 1 & 2) buying himself out of a 'situation' LOL. That's a lot of pink eyeshadow

5 The 10 pan Mothership in cool tone neutrals &
6. The 6 pan extension of the above Mothership, all shimmer neutrals but mostly dark &
7. Party palette of 4 pan peacock colours &
8 Mothership Devine Rose &
9 Mothership Devine Rose II

I think that is too much. Certainly I will try to use them all as much as possible and resist anything more.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Here's an additional way to use your dark eyeshadow colors, I use them as eyeliner, and skip the actual eyeliner. The dark taupes, browns, blues, blacks, burgundys work well as soft/ undefined eyeliner. Very sexy and subtle.

For the soft, peachy, pink eyeshadows, when possible, I use them as blush or bronzer.

You have to be creative. Otherwise when are you going to finish your palettes? 2030?:shocked::amazed::biggrin::smile:

I had bits and pieces of so many things I bought on impulse or from cool advertising.

But the reality is I wear very little make up and I like a no make up look.

Since I found Trinny London it’s been a game changer. I now get told I look pretty by my boyfriend and he often thinks I’m wearing no make up. Not bad when I have 7 products on and pushing 50 lol.

It’s cream based and comes in little pots that stack, fab for travel too.
This right here is my new thing...Never heard of the brand and now need stackable creamy pots.:biggrin:
So easily persuaded.:lol:

• Haha
Reactions: BlueCherry