The Atlantic: Fashion’s Racism and Classism Are Finally Out of Style

And the owner of the restaurant is allowed to continue to do this? Anyone who knows this is going on has an obligation (especially as a U.S. citizen) to report this. You can't just stand by and allow human rights violations to go on.
Yeah, these immigrants want to live in the U.S. for a better life. But this restaurant owner knows this and is using that to justify their own federal crimes.
Honestly, I'm sick.
It is sickening! The owner is a "snake head"!

And the owner of the restaurant is allowed to continue to do this? Anyone who knows this is going on has an obligation (especially as a U.S. citizen) to report this. You can't just stand by and allow human rights violations to go on.
Yeah, these immigrants want to live in the U.S. for a better life. But this restaurant owner knows this and is using that to justify their own federal crimes.
Honestly, I'm sick.
Agreed. This just happened. So I am gauging what to do. I also don’t want everyone there who has been victimized by this to be deported and/or charged with felonies for identity theft.

• Love
Reactions: 880
I also don’t want everyone there who has been victimized by this to be deported and/or charged with felonies for identity theft.

So as if human trafficking isn't bad enough already there's identity theft involved too? As someone who had money and who knows what else stolen earlier this year from ID theft, I had no problem telling the banks I would gladly testify to prosecute the losers who stole my information and opened multiple accounts using my SSN.

So as if human trafficking isn't bad enough already there's identity theft involved too? As someone who had money and who knows what else stolen earlier this year from ID theft, I had no problem telling the banks I would gladly testify to prosecute the losers who stole my information and opened multiple accounts using my SSN.
I had the same thing happen as well. For many years 2 people were using my SSN unbeknownst to me. It was really difficult getting all that sorted out. So I think that's why they themselves don't report this man when they come over, is that he sort of "has them by the balls" if you know what I mean. Like if you report me, I'll report you. I asked my husband about this, who has a lot of experience working with Mexican gangs, and he was like , oh yeah. You'd be shocked how many people have this as a side hustle. And I was...shocked.

How did you realize someone stole your ID/SSN? It’s very disturbing.

Reactions: 880
Agreed. This just happened. So I am gauging what to do. I also don’t want everyone there who has been victimized by this to be deported and/or charged with felonies for identity theft.
That's not your problem. You do have an obligation to report a crime, especially when you can clearly see there are victims.
I do know that at least before the ***** administration, there were waivers given to some immigrants in the country illegally who had been victimized while here.

Immigration Options for Victims of Crimes

Many immigrants are fearful of admitting that they have been a victim of a crime in part because they believe they will be removed (deported) from the United States if they report the crime. U.S. law provides several protections for legal and undocumented immigrants who have been victims of a crime. There are specific protections for victims of domestic violence, victims of certain crimes, and victims of human trafficking.

Reactions: TraceySH
That's not your problem. You do have an obligation to report a crime, especially when you can clearly see there are victims.
I do know that at least before the ***** administration, there were waivers given to some immigrants in the country illegally who had been victimized while here.

Immigration Options for Victims of Crimes

Many immigrants are fearful of admitting that they have been a victim of a crime in part because they believe they will be removed (deported) from the United States if they report the crime. U.S. law provides several protections for legal and undocumented immigrants who have been victims of a crime. There are specific protections for victims of domestic violence, victims of certain crimes, and victims of human trafficking.
@TraceySH I understand that you are hesitant to jeopardize immigrants who have already been victimized and are trying to make a better life for themselves and their families. What you now have knowledge of at minimum involves human trafficking and identity theft/fraud.

This needs to be reported.

@TraceySH I understand that you are hesitant to jeopardize immigrants who have already been victimized and are trying to make a better life for themselves and their families. What you now have knowledge of at minimum involves human trafficking and identity theft/fraud.

This needs to be reported.
Working on it.

I'm really happy we've had this thread and been able to have many of you have really thoughtful discussions. Please remember that politics is not allowed on our forums, and comments that are political will get removed. If you see something, please report it or send me a quick message.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: opensesame
It is a good idea to monitor your credit quarterly (check once on each of the 3 major credit bureaus in the US). It will have a list of all loans/lines of credit you have open. Make sure you recognize all of them and that they look accurate.
It's a little OT, but I freeze my credit. It's extra work because you have to open it for credit checks BUT no one can open cards and accounts in your name. At this point with the amount of ID theft out there I think it's the best practice.

To be "white passing" is a very different experience in itself. Many times you get the benefits of "white privilege," but could also be discriminated against if someone knows your last name.
And I'm sure you've found yourself in situations where someone has made a disparaging comment about Hispanics, not realizing your ethnic background.
It's an interesting position to be in.
I found the story of this woman especially interesting:

I found the video rather disturbing, a lady that spent all her life hiding from her friends that her father had a different skin color pigmentation...

If the color of her skin was white, why not have white written on her birth certificate? The physical characteristics should only be important for identification/description purposes imo. Why is skin color seen differently than hair or eye color? 'White passing' and 'white privilege' are expressions that shouldn't have a reason to exist.

I found the video rather disturbing, a lady that spent all her life hiding from her friends that her father had a different skin color pigmentation...

If the color of her skin was white, why not have white written on her birth certificate? The physical characteristics should only be important for identification/description purposes imo. Why is skin color seen differently than hair or eye color? 'White passing' and 'white privilege' are expressions that shouldn't have a reason to exist.
these were different times
By "passing" as white she had white privilege
As far as the birth certificate, you can't tell what color a newborn is so I guess in those days if a baby was half black they were classified as black. Don't know how that works now? is there race on birth certs? is there a mixed race option?

Reactions: keodi
It is a good idea to monitor your credit quarterly (check once on each of the 3 major credit bureaus in the US). It will have a list of all loans/lines of credit you have open. Make sure you recognize all of them and that they look accurate.
I had to do this. You also file an FTC report on line; a bank report; and freeze everything (which requires some unfreezing if you need a credit line or something adjusted. You also go to the police precinct and file a report there. In my case, the bank reimbursed me as per usual; it happened again on a different acct number; they arreste the person, but of course she was just one of many lower criminals and the leadership of the ring (it was explained to me that they may have hundreds of. Ids or more) were not caught. The policeman who took my report said he was the victim of Id theft and you cannot change your S’s number bc no matte what happens you are responsible for it. . . So, in the end, I didn’t file the application to change my drivers license number either. . . i think equifax says they share with her other two bureaus in the US, but I was told to als file with them separately.

it was kind of bizarre, bc I don’t travel much even pre covid and my buying patterns are pretty uniform and I cannot imagine how my information was disseminated, but it’s common.