Lambskin patina

Chial819

Aug 19, 2019
Hi all,

Yesterday I came home to find a scratch on my vintage lambskin bag. (I suspect my bf knocked it over in the dark.) Rubbing it with my finger worked somewhat, so I added a little Apple conditioner which did the trick. However, that particular quilt is now more matte than the rest of the bag. I tried using a kiwi express shine sponge which initially seemed to work but then the effect disappears.

Will the bag‘s patina and sheen eventually even out if I just keep wearing it? Or have any of you had success with particular products? I did a search and couldn’t find much on restoring/evening out sheen for a only a section of a bag.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Yesterday I came home to find a scratch on my vintage lambskin bag. (I suspect my bf knocked it over in the dark.) Rubbing it with my finger worked somewhat, so I added a little Apple conditioner which did the trick. However, that particular quilt is now more matte than the rest of the bag. I tried using a kiwi express shine sponge which initially seemed to work but then the effect disappears.
Will the bag‘s patina and sheen eventually even out if I just keep wearing it? Or have any of you had success with particular products? I did a search and couldn’t find much on restoring/evening out sheen for a only a section of a bag. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
It eventually evens out. This happened to me with a beige vintage lambskin...I aired it out for a few days, used it several times and it eventually evened out. I also used a bit of Talcum powder on the spot overnight then dusted it off the following day to absorb any excess conditioner.

It eventually evens out. This happened to me with a beige vintage lambskin...I aired it out for a few days, used it several times and it eventually evened out. I also used a bit of Talcum powder on the spot overnight then dusted it off the following day to absorb any excess conditioner.
That’s great to hear! Thank you for sharing :smile:

Did you try to polish the spot with a soft cloth? When I apply shoe cream to my shoes it always looks matte unless I polish it. Could be the same case here.
I tried using a cloth that came with a pair of glasses and it didn’t seem to do much. It also feels different when I rub that particular spot vs the rest of the bag, like the cloth “sticks” more. I’m hoping I didn’t accidentally rub off the the top layer of leather when removing the scratch :hrmm:
Is there a specific type of cloth you recommend? TIA!

I tried using a cloth that came with a pair of glasses and it didn’t seem to do much. It also feels different when I rub that particular spot vs the rest of the bag, like the cloth “sticks” more. I’m hoping I didn’t accidentally rub off the the top layer of leather when removing the scratch :hrmm:
I personally use 100% white cotton shirts to buff out my lambskin bags. They sell them at every Target, Walmart, etc.

Reactions: Chial819

As the other poster said a white cotton cloth should do. Just polish it gently in a circular motion for a few seconds.

If that doesn’t fix the problem then you might want to clean the area with a leather cleaner (the bamboo cleaner by Collonil is excellent) because it sounds like the conditioner left some residue.

If you are looking for another conditioner, the products by Saphir are recommended on TPF.

Reactions: Chial819
As the other poster said a white cotton cloth should do. Just polish it gently in a circular motion for a few seconds.

If that doesn’t fix the problem then you might want to clean the area with a leather cleaner (the bamboo cleaner by Collonil is excellent) because it sounds like the conditioner left some residue.

If you are looking for another conditioner, the products by Saphir are recommended on TPF.
Thank you for the tips! I’ll give them a shot :smile:

Good luck! Please report back, I’d be interested how it will turn out!
Update: So I tried to remove any excess Apple conditioner with an alcohol/fragrance free baby wipe, then sparingly applied Saphir Renovateur. I did two or three applications over the course of several days, gently buffing each time with a soft cloth. (I’ve also been lightly buffing that spot randomly throughout the day lol)

Here are before/after pics (the two before shots are combined into the first photo). It looks better, but not 100% yet. I’m hoping it will patina again over time. For now, I’ll leave it alone asides from the occasional light buffing/polishing.

On a different note, has anyone ever manually flattened quilts from rubbing too hard? I’m convinced that I somewhat flattened that one quilt when I initially rubbed the scratch out.:doh: Luckily, the puffiness looks about the same compared to the photos from its original fashionphile listing.

61A4C91A-058E-4911-9A7F-722693B851FA.jpeg

D9319645-BE3F-48E1-A972-5927913213B6.jpeg

74B8F538-EF16-43F0-8199-4E672A2259A2.jpeg