Spend threshold for B/K/C

Bellub

Dec 29, 2017
Hi all - I have been offered a Constance 18 by my SA recently which I feel lucky about. few questions came up while talking to friends and doing my research which I am hoping you can help. I understand everyones experience at Hermes is different So Would be lovely to hear your story. I looked around the forum but didnt see direct answers to my questions but feel free to redirect.

1) I saw an article saying $4k to $8k spend for B/K/C offer. Is this updated number and aligned with the new price?

2) is Constance offer rare? Like B or K? I am asking becauseI have read different info and I am trying to understand if my SA is expecting me to spend a lot for the C offer. I would be hesitant to spend a fortune if not needed and save for B/ K offer.

3)I am trying to track my spend for each B/ K/ C offers but does anyone know is other bags purchases like lindy, picotin, garden party etc count towards total spend? Or depends on the model
Of the bag? For example I bought a Lindy26 in between which was $8000. I asked for the bag and its a nice combo (ghw gold color) but does it depends the bag itself?

thanks all!

Hello! Where are you located? For context, I live in NY.

1) I think the offers are less contingent on how much you spend, but what you spend on and your relationship with your SA. Some examples in different countries below:

In Turkey, I tried to buy several items (RTW and jewelry) but they were all unavailable in my size. In the end, I only bought a hat, belt and boots (maybe EUR 3K?), but I was offered a K25.

In Madrid, I received an offer on the spot during my first time shopping, but it's also because I bought a cashmere coat and a leather jacket (spent about EUR 13K at this time.) I received an offer for a Kelly Pochette since that was all that was available. Two weeks later, I virtually received offers for four bags all at the same time: B25 GHW, B25 PHW, K25 GHW, Kelly Pochette in another color.

On the other hand, when I look at my shopping history in New York for comparison, I spent less than 1:1 before I started to receive offers. I met my SA in March, spent about $7K across various categories (bought a Herbag, sneakers, cashmere scarf, mini Bearn, etc.) A week later, I received an offer for a Kelly Ado. By the time the store reopened in June, I received offers for Mini Lindy, Kelly 32, Constance 18. Keep in mind I've only met my SA once in person at this point, but we were texting throughout quarantine. I didn't get any of them. Finally, went in for the second time ever in July and was surprised with a B25 that was on my wish list! I did, however, spend about $4K on items (RTW and home items only) I had ordered during lockdown, so got a wish list item offered to me after reaching the 1:1 ratio.

2) I've only been offered a Constance 18 once before, and it was ostrich, so I do think leather Constances are hard to come by for sure! What color and size were you offered? If you like it, you should get it! Your SA will still remember that you want a B / C when one becomes available for you :smile:

3) I've read that leather goods and bags don't count toward the quota, but that might be different based on country / continent. I saw that on one of the Asian stores threads, but I'm actually not sure what the rules are in Europe and U.S. as well.

Hi there! I think you will find as with all things Hermes, there aren't many hard and fast predictable rules regarding pre-spend. I think the best approach is to buy what you genuinely love from an SA you feel you have a good rapport with. How quickly you get a highly sought after bag depends on the store, your location, rapport with your SA and timing, not just pre-spend. In some boutiques, leather goods are said not to count at all toward pre-spend, yet in other stores, all things count. Remember, there is no point in spending your hard earned money on items you may not want just to "earn access" to a highly sought after bag. Constance bags are hard to get, but I haven't seen any "rule" as to necessary spending to qualify. Just enjoy the journey and orange boxes may soon follow! Happy shopping!

Hello! Where are you located? For context, I live in NY.

1) I think the offers are less contingent on how much you spend, but what you spend on and your relationship with your SA. Some examples in different countries below:

In Turkey, I tried to buy several items (RTW and jewelry) but they were all unavailable in my size. In the end, I only bought a hat, belt and boots (maybe EUR 3K?), but I was offered a K25.

In Madrid, I received an offer on the spot during my first time shopping, but it's also because I bought a cashmere coat and a leather jacket (spent about EUR 13K at this time.) I received an offer for a Kelly Pochette since that was all that was available. Two weeks later, I virtually received offers for four bags all at the same time: B25 GHW, B25 PHW, K25 GHW, Kelly Pochette in another color.

On the other hand, when I look at my shopping history in New York for comparison, I spent less than 1:1 before I started to receive offers. I met my SA in March, spent about $7K across various categories (bought a Herbag, sneakers, cashmere scarf, mini Bearn, etc.) A week later, I received an offer for a Kelly Ado. By the time the store reopened in June, I received offers for Mini Lindy, Kelly 32, Constance 18. Keep in mind I've only met my SA once in person at this point, but we were texting throughout quarantine. I didn't get any of them. Finally, went in for the second time ever in July and was surprised with a B25 that was on my wish list! I did, however, spend about $4K on items (RTW and home items only) I had ordered during lockdown, so got a wish list item offered to me after reaching the 1:1 ratio.

2) I've only been offered a Constance 18 once before, and it was ostrich, so I do think leather Constances are hard to come by for sure! What color and size were you offered? If you like it, you should get it! Your SA will still remember that you want a B / C when one becomes available for you :smile:

3) I've read that leather goods and bags don't count toward the quota, but that might be different based on country / continent. I saw that on one of the Asian stores threads, but I'm actually not sure what the rules are in Europe and U.S. as well.
Thanks so much for your detailed reply and sharing! I am in WA state. I have had this relationship with my SA for about 3 years now and so far I have one B30 and K28 from her. This time I am offered a Black epsom C18, which was on my wish list so I am thankful.
My SA is very direct which I appreciate but sometimes I feel Pushed to buy more so I want to get some idea of what is “fair” spending. I am Not expecting to spend nothing and get a b/K offer but want to be mindful how I control my budget and spend strategically. I think she wants me to buy RTW and Jewelery but I need to wait for things I like and not spend just for the sake of spending. But I just get impatient at timeS at I want a K or B25 so bad!

Hi there! I think you will find as with all things Hermes, there aren't many hard and fast predictable rules regarding pre-spend. I think the best approach is to buy what you genuinely love from an SA you feel you have a good rapport with. How quickly you get a highly sought after bag depends on the store, your location, rapport with your SA and timing, not just pre-spend. In some boutiques, leather goods are said not to count at all toward pre-spend, yet in other stores, all things count. Remember, there is no point in spending your hard earned money on items you may not want just to "earn access" to a highly sought after bag. Constance bags are hard to get, but I haven't seen any "rule" as to necessary spending to qualify. Just enjoy the journey and orange boxes may soon follow! Happy shopping!
Thanks so much! I am worried if I don’t soend enough she will stop offering me bags when I bought my K28, she gave me some mean words Hinting about me not spending enough and she could have offered to other customers. I was a bit upset and not sure if thats true or not since I don’t know what is the normal spending. ‍♀️

Thanks so much! I am worried if I don’t soend enough she will stop offering me bags when I bought my K28, she gave me some mean words Hinting about me not spending enough and she could have offered to other customers. I was a bit upset and not sure if thats true or not since I don’t know what is the normal spending. ‍♀

Yikes, that kind of "warning' would definitely bother me as well. But again, never feel pressured to buy something toward your dream bag. Offers come and go if you are in it for the long haul. There is no shortage of beautiful items to admire and perhaps purchase down the road. Keep the door open, buy smaller items you love, and continue to gently let your SA know what you might be interested in down the road. If you often feel to pressured to purchase outside your comfort zone, find a different SA. Whilst all SA's have sales goals to meet, it should never dominate your relationship with them.

Suggest you read this thread as direct store comparisons are really the only relevant ones. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/hermes-seattle-bellevue.600520/
The Maintaining a Relationship thread is also a good read, back to front.

Other than that, the general expectation is around 1:1 spending on non-leather goods for a mid range quota bag, more for more desirable bags and less for less. If you’re after a size 25 and not terribly specific with color or hardware and getting above the 3x spend ratio then it’s probably time to just wait. Otherwise, it’s all luck, SA report, and timing. If your SA is making you feel weird, might be time to switch SAs or stores however you would have to start all over again so I personally never recommend switching, especially after successfully getting bags in the past.

Thanks so much! I am worried if I don’t soend enough she will stop offering me bags when I bought my K28, she gave me some mean words Hinting about me not spending enough and she could have offered to other customers. I was a bit upset and not sure if thats true or not since I don’t know what is the normal spending. ‍♀

Others on this forum are far more knowledgeable than I...but I would switch SA if possible. I understand that she is getting you some offers for quota bags, but wow...making you feel bad about ‘not being a good enough client’ is awful.

+1 to above - do you already have the C offer? And isn’t it something on your wishlist? If so just go get it...

I know there are places where you can be told “here’s this bag but in order to take it with you, you should purchase xxx amount”. As far as I know though that’s not the case in the US.

I think the best way to think about it is competition. How much competition you have...the more there is the higher spend you are likely to need. It really really varies a LOT...

Thanks so much for your detailed reply and sharing! I am in WA state. I have had this relationship with my SA for about 3 years now and so far I have one B30 and K28 from her. This time I am offered a Black epsom C18, which was on my wish list so I am thankful.
My SA is very direct which I appreciate but sometimes I feel Pushed to buy more so I want to get some idea of what is “fair” spending. I am Not expecting to spend nothing and get a b/K offer but want to be mindful how I control my budget and spend strategically. I think she wants me to buy RTW and Jewelery but I need to wait for things I like and not spend just for the sake of spending. But I just get impatient at timeS at I want a K or B25 so bad!

Something that's always worked well for me is just checking in with my SAs in NY and Madrid regularly. My NY SA and I text almost every week or two, and most of the time it's not even Hermes-related. We often exchange Netflix recommendations, pictures of our pets, or just catch up about normal stuff. My SA in Madrid and I check in every few months and just make sure the other is okay given everything going on in our respective countries. I'm sure your SA will appreciate that and also keep you top of mind when new things come in after you remind her of your wish list!

Definitely agree with what everyone else has said! It's different from store to store and really comes down to your relationship with your SA. If she's giving you weird vibes then, that's frustrating... but starting from scratch with a new SA or store is a big commitment.

Ultimately, don't feel pressured by her, just buy what you like, and feel free to nudge her with a gentle reminder of what you are looking for. A non-work-related text here and there goes a long, long way :smile:

I am not certain if this is what you are asking, but when I receive an offer from my SA there is no expectation that I buy other items when I pick the bag up. Once I get the offer, the bag is mine. Obviously there is a spend required to get the offer, which varies widely as others have noted.
Agreed and this how my store works as well but I do think they want us to be happy collecting the bag and thus spend while there. In my opinion, this is why they don’t ship bags and require in-person pick up (in most cases).

Agreed and this how my store works as well but I do think they want us to be happy collecting the bag and thus spend while there. In my opinion, this is why they don’t ship bags and require in-person pick up (in most cases).
Oh for sure - my SA knows anytime he can get me in there I am likely to walk out with at least a few things. I’m a sucker for H! But I’ve never had that communicated to me as an expectation or received a negative comment if I just collected the bag and nothing else, which I have done also.

Thank you all for the useful advice. I was just shocked about hint and since that I have been self critical about whether I have been spending the “fair amount”. I have been offered C18 and she suggested that I should look for other items for the upcoming appointment. I am just paranoid that she is expecting me to spend certain amount again and giving me mean word if I am not spending enough. I am a regular customer albeit not big spender (About $8k a year) and she always suggests me to buy furniture and jewellery but I don't feel interested at this moment (definitely not furniture, my husband will kill me). My SA made it sound like everything is decided by the store manager and he is responsible for allocating bags so its out of her control. ‍♀

I bought a Lindy before my K28 offer last year so I was curious if that was part of the spend threshold. If yes that I think I am > 1:1 then she shouldn't shame me! If not then I would be maybe 0.5:1.

Reactions: Bereal