2020 resolution - shopping my own bag and wallet collection. Any one else?

We haven't gone out to eat either, since I'm high risk. But I'm not minding very much, since we didn't go out to restaurants all that often before. I'm so sorry to hear that it's getting to you. Are you using any of the options like Grubhub or delivery.com to get restaurant meals delivered? We do that every now and then, and we make it festive with a tablecloth and fancy candlesticks. Of course we still have to serve ourselves, and clean up afterwards, but it's still a bit of a break in the routine.

I've thrown myself into the challenge of cooking. I've always been a perfectly competent cook, but now I'm upping my game. I try to find at least one new dinner recipe a week. (Mr. PG is in charge of his own lunch, which helps a LOT!) I also plan our dinners at least 10 days in advance so that I'll be able to arrange for efficient grocery deliveries.
We've only gotten take out twice, just dessert, from a restaurant that we called while we were sitting in the parking lot. We put the cash on the hood of the car and instructed them to put the food there too.

There really aren't any restaurants in the area that have us missing the food terribly. The enjoyment was in the experience of going out and the interactions with the people.

In my younger years, I was quite an adventurous cook, always trying new recipes and improvising. It seemed I never followed a recipe exactly, always substituting something, and the results were often really good. Often, I was unable to repeat the same dish exactly. We've been spoiled by all the things I've made from scratch over the years, including bread and noodles. There aren't many easy, throw together, dishes in my repertoire. These days I sneak in steaks and hamburgers as often as I can. I would be happy eating that most days but DH isn't.

I sort of plan meals 10 days in advance with the grocery deliveries but it is just a mushy idea of dishes and not a real plan. I make the big meal for lunch, then for dinner we often have leftovers.

It's a bit depressing, but I've only been going to doctor's offices or the hospital recently. Ugh. So I've been using my smallest nylon Longchamp. I empty it and spray it down with disinfectant when I get home. And then anything I've used when I'm out, like my phone, or a credit card, I pop into my UV-C sanitizer for 10 minutes. (Learned this little trick from my dentist's wife, now his office manager, who used to work as an ER nurse.)

I realize that I'm most likely being overly careful, and all this sanitizing isn't necessary. But I'm so much at risk, I'd rather over-react than under-react, if that makes sense.
Nothing wrong with being overly cautious!! We don’t know this virus fully.
I totally agree. Even when they 'admitted' it later, it was very much downplayed.
It is very different how us 3 companies in the same compound, each in separate buildings, handle our positive cases. Building A had its case and it also tried to hide that fact from employees who report on alternating weeks. It waited until the weekend for disinfection. The same for Building B. And when we wrote the management of Buiding B to share information (they were the first to have a positive case in the compound), we were given the run around. You see, there are some common facilities in the compound. When it’s our turn (Building C) to have our first positive case, we released an advisory that our office is closed for disinfection. And we asked those on skeleton-staffing not to come in for a week and reiterated WFH for everyone who can do so. We also coordinated the swab testing of the close work contacts of our first case. This further yielded 2 more positive cases. Another related company, but housed in a different area, also released its lockdown advisory when it had its firs 2 cases.

I don’t understand the aversion to sharing of information. They can make anonymous the positive cases, but they have to tell us that there are cases as we are housed in the same compound with some common facilities.
Btw, as I understand it, all of our cases are asymptomatic. The first case was only discovered since he underwent swab testing to get clearance to travel for work.
We've only gotten take out twice, just dessert, from a restaurant that we called while we were sitting in the parking lot. We put the cash on the hood of the car and instructed them to put the food there too.

There really aren't any restaurants in the area that have us missing the food terribly. The enjoyment was in the experience of going out and the interactions with the people.

In my younger years, I was quite an adventurous cook, always trying new recipes and improvising. It seemed I never followed a recipe exactly, always substituting something, and the results were often really good. Often, I was unable to repeat the same dish exactly. We've been spoiled by all the things I've made from scratch over the years, including bread and noodles. There aren't many easy, throw together, dishes in my repertoire. These days I sneak in steaks and hamburgers as often as I can. I would be happy eating that most days but DH isn't.

I sort of plan meals 10 days in advance with the grocery deliveries but it is just a mushy idea of dishes and not a real plan. I make the big meal for lunch, then for dinner we often have leftovers.
At the height of the quarantine (April to May), I was really into food planning and preparation. But now, I seem not to plan ahead.

Here's my charm bracelet. My parents started it for me as a birthday present, I believe on my tenth birthday. It's sterling silver.

The charms were added very slowly, from elementary school through my high school graduation (see the diploma, third from the left?) and then I put it away until a few years ago. Since then I've added a few meaningful charms (there's a little purse hiding there, second from the right!) and now it's completely full.

View attachment 4801444
:love: i love the music notes!

Reactions: ElainePG and keodi
It's a bit depressing, but I've only been going to doctor's offices or the hospital recently. Ugh. So I've been using my smallest nylon Longchamp. I empty it and spray it down with disinfectant when I get home. And then anything I've used when I'm out, like my phone, or a credit card, I pop into my UV-C sanitizer for 10 minutes. (Learned this little trick from my dentist's wife, now his office manager, who used to work as an ER nurse.)

I realize that I'm most likely being overly careful, and all this sanitizing isn't necessary. But I'm so much at risk, I'd rather over-react than under-react, if that makes sense.
Not at all, I'm high risk myself. When I do go out to my Dr. appointments and the grocery store, I carry my LV canvas card holder. When I get home, I also sanitize my hone, and debit card in my UV-C sanitizer. I put the clothing I worn outside in the washing machine.
Here's my charm bracelet. My parents started it for me as a birthday present, I believe on my tenth birthday. It's sterling silver.

The charms were added very slowly, from elementary school through my high school graduation (see the diploma, third from the left?) and then I put it away until a few years ago. Since then I've added a few meaningful charms (there's a little purse hiding there, second from the right!) and now it's completely full.

View attachment 4801444
your charm bracelet is lovely! :love:

I haven't popped in here for a bit. Love everyone's charm bracelets! :loveeyes:

On the subject of sanitizing, I don't have a UV sanitizer but I do pretty much what everyone is doing these days. I have a quarantine area- a shoe rack and makeshift 'quarantine box' (fabric storage box from Ikea) near my front door.
All the shoes I'm using these days are on the rack (mostly Nike Frees because they can be washed, and indeed are thrown into the washing machine every 2 weeks).
The 3 bags I'm rotating between sit in the box. I have a packet of silica gel in the box to prevent the leather from any possible humidity affecting the leather.
When I walk back into my flat, I put the shoes on the rack, my bag in the box, and wash my keys and debit cards with soap and water, then dry them and put them back.
My clothes go directly into the washing machine (I do a load of laundry when the machine is full, not daily), and my door handles and mobile phone get wiped down with a clorox wipe.
Much better to be safe than sorry at this stage, particularly in my case as mum is now living with me. Her shoes and bags reside next to mine in the quarantine area.
I am advising everyone I know not to get complacent and to remember that this virus is dangerous. Control what you can, let go of the rest, sleep easy knowing that you've done your best. <- I did not mean for that to rhyme! :lol:

There's a lot happening in my world. Living with mum again has been an adjustment for us both, but we're getting into a routine that works.
I'm comfortable with her working in this new hospital where precautions are all being taken, and she has already settled in and made friends. :smile:
But the people in my building have stopped wearing masks and we keep seeing them walking out of the elevator without masks on, so that's creating a lot of anxiety for me. It's genuinely freaking me out that they're in a small confined space, potentially breathing out the virus, and the next person who walks into the elevator- potentially my mother- could then catch it. :sad:
I live on the top floor, so I can't expect my mum (or myself, even) to climb all those stairs daily. I have asked her to wear 2 masks before entering the elevator, though I have no idea if this helps at all. :hrmm:
I wish people would cooperate!

In other news, I've had another bag gifted to me! I absolutely adore it. My first Coccinelle!
It's in quarantine but will post a picture once I unbox it properly.
I was in hospital with my mum during my birthday this year, and then I caught covid, so my siblings bought me this present as a belated birthday/recovery gift. :biggrin: I miss them dearly and don't know when I'll see them again, but am thankful to have them show me they care in the small ways they can.

I've re-homed one of my bags as well. A nwt gift I received last year and wanted to use so as not to offend the person who gave it to me. But it wasn't right for me and I didn't want to use it a token gesture and then pass it on as a 'used bag', if that makes sense? I decided that I'd rather re-home it whilst it's brand new and let someone else love it. I can still appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift and the gifter without holding onto the actual object.

Hope everyone is well and safe! :flowers:

Oh, and we were talking of masks earlier. I got the Mask Mission masks (Etsy) and they're good! They fit well, the nose wire is thick and sturdy and I love the woven filter in them. The only issue is they have to be hand washed after each use, you can't throw them into the machine. Also because there are 3 layers, it can get really hot in that mask if worn for long periods of time.

I also had ordered Johnny Was masks and, whilst they're very pretty to look at, they're not great for us. Too big on my face and mum's. I chose these so I could put a blue surgical mask in the filter pocket to get more protection, but that's not working and the surgical mask won't lay flat in the pocket. I'll likely gift the unused ones to other people to use. I think they'd fit well if you have a slightly fuller face.

Just FYI in case anyone is looking to order masks. :smile:

Nothing wrong with being overly cautious!! We don’t know this virus fully.

It is very different how us 3 companies in the same compound, each in separate buildings, handle our positive cases. Building A had its case and it also tried to hide that fact from employees who report on alternating weeks. It waited until the weekend for disinfection. The same for Building B. And when we wrote the management of Buiding B to share information (they were the first to have a positive case in the compound), we were given the run around. You see, there are some common facilities in the compound. When it’s our turn (Building C) to have our first positive case, we released an advisory that our office is closed for disinfection. And we asked those on skeleton-staffing not to come in for a week and reiterated WFH for everyone who can do so. We also coordinated the swab testing of the close work contacts of our first case. This further yielded 2 more positive cases. Another related company, but housed in a different area, also released its lockdown advisory when it had its firs 2 cases.

I don’t understand the aversion to sharing of information. They can make anonymous the positive cases, but they have to tell us that there are cases as we are housed in the same compound with some common facilities.
Btw, as I understand it, all of our cases are asymptomatic. The first case was only discovered since he underwent swab testing to get clearance to travel for work.

At the height of the quarantine (April to May), I was really into food planning and preparation. But now, I seem not to plan ahead.
These stories of not reporting positive cases are pretty disturbing. Universities here in the US (I teach at one) say they are going to have frequent testing (totally stupid because our system is so screwed it can take 8 days to get test results, making them useless), and there is seriously NO ANNOUNCED PLAN for what happens when cases start to appear on campus. Who trusts their university administration? LOL. They will blame the students for partying, whether or not that's the cause, and send everyone home. I am stunned by these workplace dishonesties, @papertiger and @msd_bags !

These stories of not reporting positive cases are pretty disturbing. Universities here in the US (I teach at one) say they are going to have frequent testing (totally stupid because our system is so screwed it can take 8 days to get test results, making them useless), and there is seriously NO ANNOUNCED PLAN for what happens when cases start to appear on campus. Who trusts their university administration? LOL. They will blame the students for partying, whether or not that's the cause, and send everyone home. I am stunned by these workplace dishonesties, @papertiger and @msd_bags !
I agree, the workplace dishonesty shocks me!

That workplace dishonesty is indefensible! How many are getting unnecessarily infected? So sad! The spread of the virus is totally avoidable in this case, yet with the decision to keep it undercover it will continue to spread to other employees and their families. :sad:

They will blame the students for partying, whether or not that's the cause, and send everyone home.
That's likely, isn't it? How awful!

Early into our country’s enhanced quarantine (lockdown), our ‘mother agency’ asked us (‘attached corporations’) for our business continuity plans. I guess schools should have those too.

I'm in a similar situation. I teach in a university as well and while there are a lot of plans regarding course instruction, we haven't heard a thing about COVID testing or how they will determine the threshold for when it is no longer safe. Zero transparency with any disease modeling or testing. UGH

In my workplace, if someone tests positive, their department is informed but each individual is responsible for testing ... So you can guess how well that’s working out

In other news, I put in an offer on a house today :excited: In true 2020 fashion, my realtor got Covid (so I’m working with her coworker), all my house tours were done via FaceTime, and we’ve written Covid cleaning into the contract.

And to keep this on theme, I sold a few of my purses and accessories to help with the down payment. Sales really picked up last week especially.

If you have any vibes to offer, they’d be appreciated.

In my workplace, if someone tests positive, their department is informed but each individual is responsible for testing ... So you can guess how well that’s working out

In other news, I put in an offer on a house today :excited: In true 2020 fashion, my realtor got Covid (so I’m working with her coworker), all my house tours were done via FaceTime, and we’ve written Covid cleaning into the contract.

And to keep this on theme, I sold a few of my purses and accessories to help with the down payment. Sales really picked up last week especially.

If you have any vibes to offer, they’d be appreciated.
Great news on the house and the sales! Sending you all the positive vibes! :biggrin: