Selling all my Chanel for another Hermès???

jp23

jeska2333
O.G.
Jan 6, 2012
Hello Fellow Forumers! I have the opportunity to buy a kelly cut in one of my holy grail colors Griolet, brand new and under current retail (maybe not below the retail for it back then). This is an opportunity that I think I would regret passing up, but with that being said I have a rule when it comes to buying bags. I can only buy bags with money I make selling bags (or trading). So I have to let some go, these would be my Vintage Chanel Maxi in suede, Chanel so black patent mini kelly, and maybe my vintage caviar vanity. Turns out I’m not much of a Chanel person, I purged my boy, Chanel classic flap, and a stingray boy to put towards two Birkins, so this won’t be my first Chanel purge. I did not regret that decision as I wear those bags far more than I ever did my Chanel. Hermès quality is also far better imo! I’ve been wanting a smaller Hermès bag for a while now, and with this I could cross this color off my holy grail list while filling a hole in my collection! Though I’m leaning Kelly cut, I’m struggling to do so without doubt like I usually would. Would love your advice and opinions! Thank you in advanced! :flowers::flowers:

I would think about what gap in your wardrobe you are filling or how often you would use the Kelly cut. It is a clutch, but the bags you are selling hold far more and have shoulder straps. Will it bother you to be able to carry around only the essentials and hand held only? It seems like the bags you are selling vs interested in buying would serve very different purposes.

I would think about what gap in your wardrobe you are filling or how often you would use the Kelly cut. It is a clutch, but the bags you are selling hold far more and have shoulder straps. Will it bother you to be able to carry around only the essentials and hand held only? It seems like the bags you are selling vs interested in buying would serve very different purposes.

This is a great point! I’ve actually been carrying a lot less lately, and even pre-pandemic the maxi wasn’t being worn much, it was too big as a night out bag yet too delicate for my daily load. My most used bags have been my Bottega Pouch for daily load, my B35 as my workhorse, and my Mateo Catherine box bag (indie designer) for small errands, a day at the park, casual bits BUT it doesn’t hold
my phone. I’m kind of wanting something bigger than the Catherine box bag but smaller than the pouch. The Chanel I’m most hesitant about letting go of is the caviar vanity as I actually wear that one. Thank you for the thoughtful response!

Reactions: 880 and CMilly
I would go for it. I actually sold all my Chanel classic flaps (Maxi, Jumbo, medium, one mini), a petite shopper tote, a cerf tote, two On-the-road tote, a few vintage styles, all my WOCs and kept only 3 Chanel bags (a mini classic flap and two Coco Kelly top handle).

Not regretting any and it has been 4-5 years.
Wow that’s very encouraging! Just out of curiosity what made you decide to let go of all your Chanel too?? Thank you for your response! :lol:

I prefer to have things I love and use. If you would love and use the H and you don’t like the C, then I would sell the Chanel.
Thanks so much for your response! You are right I think I would try to wear the H more :yes:. I wear a clutch casually now, I like that the KC can be dressy or casual.

Reactions: CMilly

This is a great point! I’ve actually been carrying a lot less lately, and even pre-pandemic the maxi wasn’t being worn much, it was too big as a night out bag yet too delicate for my daily load. My most used bags have been my Bottega Pouch for daily load, my B35 as my workhorse, and my Mateo Catherine box bag (indie designer) for small errands, a day at the park, casual bits BUT it doesn’t hold
my phone. I’m kind of wanting something bigger than the Catherine box bag but smaller than the pouch. The Chanel I’m most hesitant about letting go of is the caviar vanity as I actually wear that one. Thank you for the thoughtful response!
It sounds like you’ve really thought it through so I’d say go for it! It sounds like most of your most used bags do not contain obvious branding, so the Kelly hardware may be more to your taste than the obvious CC Chanel branding anyway.

Reactions: 880
I couldn’t imagine parting with any one of my Chanels right now but of course if you love and will use the Kelly Pochette then you should definitely go for it.
That’s fair! If this wasn’t an HG color I probably would not be thinking about it. I don’t seem to see much griolet on the resale market. Perhaps because it’s a new(ish) color and it seems like its mainly used in SLGs though (I’ve spotted some lovely Birkins and Kelly’s in the color! :graucho:)