Do bags last generations?

springclean

Dec 24, 2015
Handbags tend to be my most expensive purchase after jewelry (which I own very few).
Some of the bags in my collection have taken half my paycheck but I have never been in debt / financial discomfort due to my love for them.
I have 50+ bags/clutches and I keep thinking of downsizing but I love them all and each serve a unique purpose (at least in my head :smile:)
An idle thought led to thinking about what will happen to my bags after a few years (say 20/30) when I will probably won't need so many.
Would you like to share if bags last generations (in terms of appeal/quality/taste) or I accumulated things which I should rehome in time.
My collection is usually timeless classic styles from Dior/LV/Chanel/Hermes/Judith Leiber with occasional contemporary(Givenchy/Valentino/Gucci) styles.
I use my bags with care so they are in great condition with occasional scuffs etc.
Will a young generation like to own a used bag say after 20 years.
It won't be for sentimental reasons as I don't have children and so I will gift them to distant nieces and nephews if they prefer.
Based on past experience I have observed no appreciation/gratitude if things are gits/free but I am keener to know if they will still make someone happy when trends have changed possibly.
Thank you for reading my post and sharing your thoughts.

My grandmother left her bags (H bags included) and jewellery to my sister, my cousin and myself. We weren't allowed to keep them full time until we were older. Even though I am the only one really into vintage, my sister and cousin absolutely loving having something(s) that they can have from her (even though none of us can remember her very well).

my sister and cousin absolutely loving having something(s) that they can have from her (even though none of us can remember her very well).
That. I still have a Barbie dress my grandmother made for me (she was a seamstress), I just couldn’t see myself parting with it even though I don’t play with Barbie anymore!
And I will inherit her very first seaming machine (does this word even exist?), really looking forward to have a bigger house to display it with pride.

I was an original member of TPF and took a very long hiatus as my kids got older and purse buying took a back burner. My daughter is still young but she's moving into the age where she is starting to notice my bags. I JUST sent of my LV Pochette Accessoires off to have the zip, vachetta and hardware replaced and it will be passed on to my daughter. I also have a few Chanel bags that will go to her. All these bags are over a decade old...my pochette is almost 25 years old and a piece that's nearly impossible to find now, plus more than triple what I paid. So yes. Some bags ARE absolutely meant to last generations
20200725_121149.jpg

I was an original member of TPF and took a very long hiatus as my kids got older and purse buying took a back burner. My daughter is still young but she's moving into the age where she is starting to notice my bags. I JUST sent of my LV Pochette Accessoires off to have the zip, vachetta and hardware replaced and it will be passed on to my daughter. I also have a few Chanel bags that will go to her. All these bags are over a decade old...my pochette is almost 25 years old and a piece that's nearly impossible to find now, plus more than triple what I paid. So yes. Some bags ARE absolutely meant to last generations
View attachment 4799974
Such a beauty

Just got this LV Trocadero made in April of 1986. Only needed some cleaning, conditioning and touch up on the corners. You tell me if a bag can last through generations...

Attachments

• 2DA18B96-A8A3-41B9-9623-E0DB5F061447.jpeg
    2DA18B96-A8A3-41B9-9623-E0DB5F061447.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 7802D59C-4E29-461C-805A-4FA960BD6CDA.jpeg
    7802D59C-4E29-461C-805A-4FA960BD6CDA.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 26AE12E2-6D43-4004-9BD2-933D62154174.jpeg
    26AE12E2-6D43-4004-9BD2-933D62154174.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 4F21562D-882D-4E2F-A1B3-DE6B69865115.jpeg
    4F21562D-882D-4E2F-A1B3-DE6B69865115.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 12
  • B823ED3C-1E74-48AD-B16A-2575926E9BA9.jpeg
    B823ED3C-1E74-48AD-B16A-2575926E9BA9.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 10
  • F16D4500-6C21-4F4D-BE1A-21851EF829B4.jpeg
    F16D4500-6C21-4F4D-BE1A-21851EF829B4.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 10
Say what you will about Coach, this was my work bag...traveled all over the world, in all kinds of weather for years. Bought in 1978. Not bad for 42 years! Can't remember how much I originally paid but I definitely got my money's worth. Some loose threads but the leather is still pretty good.

View attachment 4922809
I have buying and refurbishing Coach Bags over the last few years I could not afford back in the 90s. And I'm having a ball with them. I am not ashamed to say I have become such a vintage Coach aficionado that I even buy old catalogs when the price is right. I have a Holiday Gift Giving 1988 catalog that lists the Station Bag, retailing at $144 ;)

I am pleased to say I am enjoying seeing the younger crowd enjoy vintage Coach. My nephew's husband bought vintage Coach brief bags for the both my nephew and himself. I had a twenty something coworker come into work one day with vintage Coach, saying both her and her sister look for them at flea markets. When she left the job I gave her a refurbished bag and she got all teary! I don't have daughters but several nieces and nephews. I have already told my oldest niece and my mother if I pass suddenly, my oldest niece can take first pick, then offer up all my bags to my nieces first, then my sisters. If any are left over, my oldest niece can offer them to any of her friends at her discretion and any remaining to go to a local charity that outfits women for job interviews/workforce.
If I live to a ripe old age, I am sure I will pare down by then and most will have been passed along, sold or donated. Well that's the plan!

I have buying and refurbishing Coach Bags over the last few years I could not afford back in the 90s. And I'm having a ball with them. I am not ashamed to say I have become such a vintage Coach aficionado that I even buy old catalogs when the price is right. I have a Holiday Gift Giving 1988 catalog that lists the Station Bag, retailing at $144 ;)

I am pleased to say I am enjoying seeing the younger crowd enjoy vintage Coach. My nephew's husband bought vintage Coach brief bags for the both my nephew and himself. I had a twenty something coworker come into work one day with vintage Coach, saying both her and her sister look for them at flea markets. When she left the job I gave her a refurbished bag and she got all teary! I don't have daughters but several nieces and nephews. I have already told my oldest niece and my mother if I pass suddenly, my oldest niece can take first pick, then offer up all my bags to my nieces first, then my sisters. If any are left over, my oldest niece can offer them to any of her friends at her discretion and any remaining to go to a local charity that outfits women for job interviews/workforce.
If I live to a ripe old age, I am sure I will pare down by then and most will have been passed along, sold or donated. Well that's the plan!
Thanks for the wonderful post! $144 sounds about right...expensive for me in 1978 as well as living in Manhattan. I can remember how proud I was. Good Lord...the stories that bag could tell! :hugs: