Elsa Peretti DBTY Platinum Studs

Onebagtoomany

O.G.
Apr 16, 2011
I have a dilemma! I recently bought a platinum 0.27 carat DBTY necklace (currently with Tiffany’s for lengthening) and platinum 0.41 carat DBTY five stone bracelet from a lovely seller. The same seller has now offered me matching earrings with a total carat weight of 0.50 and the sale will include the Tiffany diamond certificate.

My dilemma is that I already have a near identical pair of no brand bezel-set diamond stud earrings in 18k white gold from my jeweller which are really lovely in terms of sparkle and colour and you probably couldn’t even tell that they are not Tiffany. I could sell them (along with some other pieces I want to move on) to raise some funds towards the Peretti earrings, plus there’s a high chance the jeweller would buy them back from me which would increase the amount I could get. But should I? The Tiffany studs are double the price of my existing ones even preowned and it feels a bit greedy and wasteful with money to buy a pair that look pretty much the same other than the fact they have the Tiffany name!

For reference, both pairs are roughly the same size - my no name ones are 0.60 carat so slightly bigger but in 18k white gold rather than platinum.

I’m tempted as I would have the matching set and the pendant and earrings would nearly be identical in size at .27 for the pendant and .25 each for the earrings.

Talk some sense into me! (or not :biggrin:)

I completely understand your dilemma! That is a hard call! Can you compare your earrings and the Peretti in person? Maybe after seeing side by side you can make a better decision?

From a practical side, it is probably better to keep what you already have and enjoy. However, jewelry is not about being practical. It is about enjoying the sparkle! Please let us know what you decide!

I completely understand your dilemma! That is a hard call! Can you compare your earrings and the Peretti in person? Maybe after seeing side by side you can make a better decision?

From a practical side, it is probably better to keep what you already have and enjoy. However, jewelry is not about being practical. It is about enjoying the sparkle! Please let us know what you decide!

So hard to know what to do! I feel I might regret passing up the opportunity to buy them. Unfortunately I can’t compare them side by side as the Peretti ones would be bought sight unseen - I originally connected with the seller on Ebay and he doesn’t live near me. I have attached a photo of the ones he has and also a photo of me wearing my unbranded ones today. I can’t see much visual difference at all. I’m sure if someone saw me wearing the earrings, necklace (when I get it back) and bracelet they would assume they were a set. However, I would know and I feel they are modern classics and maybe worth investing in from that point of view?

I’m also thinking of what I could buy with the same money. I have other items on my wish list, so it might be more logical to keep my existing earrings and use any spare funds to buy something else... but since when was a love of jewellery and sparkle about being logical! :girlsigh:

359D62D0-321E-4D41-8E29-E640F92C2C42.jpeg

23B5BB90-9D4D-482C-9542-71679C145E6E.jpeg

52E7830C-7C59-4D9D-A580-F2B36AF7B239.jpeg

I don’t see much difference either.

Maybe consider these questions:
1. Were these earrings always on your wishlist or are they on it now because you have the opportunity to buy them?
2. Are you willing to give up other things on your list to get the earrings?
3. Is it the name or the slight difference that makes you want them? (I get it if it is the name- I own a lot of Tiffany and definitely collect knowing that)

I think once you know the answer to these questions your decision may be easier.

I don’t see much difference either.

Maybe consider these questions:
1. Were these earrings always on your wishlist or are they on it now because you have the opportunity to buy them? No and yes - I always liked them (and liking the style definitely influenced me to buy the ones I already have) but I was quite satisfied with the ones I have until these ones were offered to me. I also like the idea of the brands matching when I wear the necklace and/or bracelet.
2. Are you willing to give up other things on your list to get the earrings? Good point! I am trying to sell some other pieces I no longer wear as my style has changed, so technically if I sell those I could afford to buy these earrings and possibly a piece from my wish list later this year.
3. Is it the name or the slight difference that makes you want them? (I get it if it is the name- I own a lot of Tiffany and definitely collect knowing that) Yes :blush: I love Tiffany and feel these would be a classic addition to my little collection, I’m trying to only buy classic pieces now that I can imagine myself wearing 20 years from now. I really like the idea of having the earrings, necklace and bracelet in such similar carat sizes too.

I think once you know the answer to these questions your decision may be easier.

Aaagh! I’m so tempted but feel bad at the same time. Technically I can afford it and I would definitely sell the old ones as well as the other pieces I would like to move on.

Can you buy and return? This way you can see them in real life. Also, double check with your jeweler that you can get the funds for your earrings.

I could return them but would feel bad as I have already asked for a few days to think about it before committing.

That’s a good point about checking first if the jeweller will buy my old earrings, shops only opened a few weeks ago here and it has been a horrendous few months for retailers, they may not be looking to buy in anything at the moment - understandably.

I’ve slept on it and am leaning towards not getting the new studs. It’s an awful lot of money to spend and, although I can afford it, seems really frivolous in these times and when the money could go towards something else.

I think you are making the right call. I know it is exciting to get a new piece of jewelry, but your purchase was almost exactly the same as what you have. You were gaining the name with a large price tag.
Completely agree... I have made my decision! Hope I won’t regret it!
You’re earrings are beautiful!
I think you are making the right choice. I was in a similar situation - bought Elsa Peretti sapphire earring jackets that needed the diamond by the yard studs to go with them, however I purchased almost identical non branded studs and you can’t tell the difference.
As an aside, this gives you more money to fund your Wishlist......I’ve been enjoying your posts on what jewellery your wearing today - lots of beautiful new jewels to ogle ;)

I think you are making the right choice. I was in a similar situation - bought Elsa Peretti sapphire earring jackets that needed the diamond by the yard studs to go with them, however I purchased almost identical non branded studs and you can’t tell the difference.
As an aside, this gives you more money to fund your Wishlist......I’ve been enjoying your posts on what jewellery your wearing today - lots of beautiful new jewels to ogle ;)

Your Peretti sapphire earring jackets sound absolutely gorgeous!!! Please post a pic of them if you get the chance, I would love to see them :drool:

That’s so kind of you to say re my jewellery. I’m trying to buy more staple and classic pieces now and also enjoying trying some new to me brands such as Roberto Coin and Fope.

7C73B4DA-0BC9-4172-81EF-543A1BD65E00.jpeg
Your Peretti sapphire earring jackets sound absolutely gorgeous!!! Please post a pic of them if you get the chance, I would love to see them :drool:

That’s so kind of you to say re my jewellery. I’m trying to buy more staple and classic pieces now and also enjoying trying some new to me brands such as Roberto Coin and Fope.
I’m not the best photographer - the sapphires really glow....also don’t know if they are actual Peretti pieces as they just have the Tiffany hallmark not hers. Love them :smile:

that’s what I love about this forum, seeing new designers and finding something that works for you! Keep posting all your lovely bling ;)

edited to add to say sorry about the size of the pic- I either post really small ones or huge!!