What bag will you carry when you “return” outside regularly?

Dec 11, 2006
Living in NYC and working remotely from home, I am still rarely going out these days. But I’m thinking ahead for the day I start going into the office again, which involves a few trains via public transit. How does one sanitize a purse? I was thinking maybe Force of Nature (electrolyzed water) but not sure if the substance used (related to chlorine I believe) may damage it. Maybe all canvas? Most still have leather sections I think. Just go with a non designer bag like a Longchamp or a jujube (can be washed?)

What to do about jewelry? Don’t wear costume jewelry (like a Kendra Scott)? What about watches? Probably leaving my Rolex at home.

Yes, these are first world problems but just thinking out loud for re-entry into the new normal.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
I don't do anything to my purses when I come home from work, grocery store, Home Depot, dinner....
May I please ask why I would need to sanitize my purse? I've held it in my hands or placed it on a chair, I didn't lick it or have strangers cough directly on it. I've carried leather purses, nylon purses, coated canvas purses... I place my bag where I've always put it (in the alcove on the floor next to the front door - yes, *gasp* the floor! but as I don't live in a filthy pigsty and clean my home regularly, it's a safe place for it) I wash my hands when I get home, and then do whatever it is I normally do at home.
Maybe I'm not cautious enough and I should be doffing my clothes and showering as soon as I get home.
PS: never gonna do that.

Studies show that covid doesn’t linger on surfaces as much as we thought, and it’s not the complete virus anyway, just fragments. I’ve grown tired of not using my bags, so I do. I just keep them on my person or on my lap when out and about. I don’t sanitize, but I do wear washable reusable gloves that are touch pad sensitive and sometimes my cc stays in my pocket. ..

Studies show that covid doesn’t linger on surfaces as much as we thought, and it’s not the complete virus anyway, just fragments. I’ve grown tired of not using my bags, so I do. I just keep them on my person or on my lap when out and about. I don’t sanitize, but I do wear washable reusable gloves that are touch pad sensitive and sometimes my cc stays in my pocket. ..
Yup exactly, plus i figure if there’s a virus on my bag when i get home from being our, it’ll be gone by the time i reach for it again anyways

Reactions: MahoganyQT and 880
I don't do anything to my purses when I come home from work, grocery store, Home Depot, dinner....
May I please ask why I would need to sanitize my purse? I've held it in my hands or placed it on a chair, I didn't lick it or have strangers cough directly on it. I've carried leather purses, nylon purses, coated canvas purses... I place my bag where I've always put it (in the alcove on the floor next to the front door - yes, *gasp* the floor! but as I don't live in a filthy pigsty and clean my home regularly, it's a safe place for it) I wash my hands when I get home, and then do whatever it is I normally do at home.
Maybe I'm not cautious enough and I should be doffing my clothes and showering as soon as I get home.
PS: never gonna do that.
Maybe I’m more cautious, living in NYC, but most people I know shower after coming home and clothes/cloth masks go right into the laundry. So I figured that should extend to other items such as purses. But I think if it’s out of reach, where you wouldn’t touch it again and potentially touch your face or something, that is safe enough.

Yup exactly, plus i figure if there’s a virus on my bag when i get home from being our, it’ll be gone by the time i reach for it again anyways
That is true for me right now bc I am rarely going out. I’m not sure when I go back to work yet but I’m thinking if I go out every day, it might be enough time for it to be gone.

Oh yea? What are studies showing now in terms of longevity on surfaces? Previously I read up to 2-3 days on soft surfaces like paper packaging/postal packages, but things like metal, glass, or metal can last up to several days. I had been spraying postage packages but been less diligent recently.

Do you mind sharing the reusable gloves you use?

Reactions: simurgh
*sobs* I have no where to go and nothing to do and a brand new baby that has never seen the outdoors. And by baby I mean handbag and I want to stroll Newbury or 5th Avenue for shopping!

And I can’t take her out because of the dang hand sanitizer everywhere!

View attachment 4801574
What a beauty! I have bought a few bags too (though not an Hermes ha) including these two Chanel and a Gucci. These have not gone outside either sadly.

7A793DB3-AA9B-4151-A0E1-227F277F4D97.jpeg

10522006-065A-4AF1-9599-377130C983E1.jpeg

602F6B05-0E2F-44EF-89FB-99DD8D9F96BC.jpeg

The only place I would carry my bag now is the grocery store or my Chiropractor. :sad: I’m thinking of carrying my LV Graceful which is my errand bag of sorts. But it has this huge vachetta handle and the thought of looking at a COVID disinfectant spray memory for the next year is just depressing.

Reactions: 880
Oh yea? What are studies showing now in terms of longevity on surfaces? Previously I read up to 2-3 days on soft surfaces like paper packaging/postal packages, but things like metal, glass, or metal can last up to several days. I had been spraying postage packages but been less diligent recently.

Do you mind sharing the reusable gloves you use?
image.jpg
these are the ones! plus atoms brand masks :smile: sorry my pic is not the greatest. They are gannett brand uv 50+ with Cooltec. I forgot where DH first Saw them, but one of the people in my doctors office also uses them when outside sometimes. I just hand wash them when I get back inside. I also carry some disposable PPE just in case. Forgot to add, I’m sorry, I’m not sure where I read the article about Soft surfaces like fabric. When I read about fragments, I decided to go with leather. . L mainly b DH and I self isolated for at least 6-8 weeks and when I started to venture out very minimally, I decided I needed to carry a bag for moral support, even if my cc was in my pocket. . Love your bags ans hope you can carry them soon!

Last edited: